IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Error message upon reboot after installation
shaorinor
post 20.10.2005 05:26
Post #1

Group: Members

I receive the following message after I reboot my machine post-installation of version 5.0.388:

"Error while starting the service part of Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro. You are advised to reinstall the application."

KAV works fine if I do not reboot after installation, but once I have rebooted, this error always arises. I am on Windows XP and have recently installed Service Pack 2.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Search
post 20.10.2005 08:47
Post #2

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(shaorinor @ Oct 20 2005, 12:26 AM)
I receive the following message after I reboot my machine post-installation of version 5.0.388:

"Error while starting the service part of Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro.  You are advised to reinstall the application."

KAV works fine if I do not reboot after installation, but once I have rebooted, this error always arises.  I am on Windows XP and have recently installed Service Pack 2.

Do you use any applications like Deep Freeze or the Windows Restore system?

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 20.10.2005 10:44
Post #3

Global Moderator

Group: Global moderators

Hi shaorinor & welcome

Do you have the Windows patch called kb909444, if this is installed then try this:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444/. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
shaorinor
post 21.10.2005 04:25
Post #4

No I don't use those apps.

Thanks for the welcome. I believe I do have that patch installed as I recently formatted and went through and updated everything. I've gone to that support site and executed the 2 command lines listed, but still no go on Kaspersky.

But...I am unsure of a few of those steps...

1. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the Everyone group has READ permissions.
2. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the SYSTEM account has FULL CONTROL permissions.
3. In the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the Administrators group has FULL CONTROL permissions.

These first 3 steps I think were covered by executing these 2 commands:

echo y| cacls %windir%\registration /G everyone:R system:F administrators:F
echo y| cacls %windir%\registration\*.clb /G everyone:R system:F administrators:F

4. In the advanced security properties of the .clb files in the %windir%/registration folder, make sure that the Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here option is selected.

Not sure how to get to advanced security properties.

5. Make sure that the Everyone group has one of the following permissions:• Traverse permissions (“List Folder Contents”) on all parent directories, including %systemdrive%, %windir%, and %windir%\registration
• The Bypass Traverse Checking permission

Don't know how to do this either.

+Quote Post
shaorinor
post 21.10.2005 05:13
Post #5

Ok, figured out why I couldn't see the permissions...had to disable simple file sharing in order to bring up the security tab.

In any event, followed all that stuff and still get the same error message after I reboot.

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 21.10.2005 12:17
Post #6

Global Moderator

Have you removed what you can from previous AV's? Have a look here:http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=5233. Should be done with Kaspersky uninstalled: Kaspersky also have a regremover you could try:http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?act=A...type=post&id=16.

--------------------

+Quote Post
shaorinor
post 24.10.2005 03:20
Post #7

Actually, this is a clean format of my system and reinstall of windows xp. So, there was no prior AV installed.

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 24.10.2005 10:58
Post #8

Global Moderator

Ok, try to download a new 5.0.388 installer, the Kaspersky reg remove & RegSupreme.

Uninstall Kav, run the Kav regremove & then RegSupreme in it's normalmode and fix what it finds. Then reinstall Kav and see if it makes a difference.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28.11.2014 11:21