Why no Virus Notification Popup?

Snacko

I’ve been wondering if KIS scans files that I download automatically?  And when?  When downloading?  Or when accessed?  So, I did a test with the EICAR virus text file from ‘this’ site and I did not get any notification at all!!  So, I went into into KIS Settings/Interface/Notifications and turned on ALL Critical and Warning Notifications, and also the ‘Enable notification sounds’ was checked.  

But I never heard a sound and only saw a messages on the left side Notification slide out.  Nothing Popped up on the screen about any virus!!  How do I get a pop on the center of my screen??  That Right slideout Notification area is NOT good enough.  A virus if Important and I want to be notified immediately about it.  Plus, if my download is missing files, and I don’t know that, …  I will be wasting more time trying to figure out why it’s not working…

Thanks!

PS: I tried to search for an answer, but the matches that I found had Replies that it would not show me?  One said it had 4 replies, but I could not see them.  Other matches did the same..  Why can’t I see the replies that might answer my questions???  I guess I should post this question in another forum..

Sorry, Here’s my info:

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    21H1
Installed on    ‎7/‎11/‎2021
OS build    19043.1466
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

KIS: 21.2.10.391(g)

DB: 02/03/22 10:58

This is one of the threads.  It says 4 Replies, but I don’t see any.   This is what I meant by ‘searches that have no answers’.  Some of the posts indicate replies, but I cannot see them.

Link

And, I was going to this page that also has EICAR.  I downloaded the .com and .zip.  And I have all of the UI Notifications on, but I get no virus popup warning.  I almost never use the Notification area as it is hidden.  And I have a triple screen monitor!  So, even this popup that does not appear, is way out of my view.  I wish it would popup in the middle of the screen so that I could take immediate action.

Link

Hello @Snacko,

the popup in the middle of the screen will probably not be realized.

With the introduction of Win10, Microsoft had specified in the developer guidelines that third-party programs (running in background) are not allowed to bring their own popups as it was still possible in Win7. All messages have to run via the Notification Center.

I assume that this still applies today. If you don't follow it, you are not allowed to use the windows logo.

Hello @Snacko

Thank you for the information!

• Re “Still, I don’t get any message at all though..  Not even in the bottom/left of my desktop.”
  1. Check Windows Notifications settings for KIS application. 
  2. Open KIS, select Manage Settings, select, Export Settings, save KIS config, select Restore. Do not Import the original Settings ATM. 
  3. Shutdown the machine using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login, recheck if the alerts show as we’ve shown in our video. 
  4. Also, we tested EICAR test file for checking Kaspersky applications' behavior, we get exactly the same result as we showed in our video. 

Let us know the outcome please? 

• Regarding the closed topic you found in the search; it does say 4 replies, however, it’s been closed, & has no replies; which may mean there was an issue with the topic; the Moderators or Community Admin may know, you may wish to ask them. 

🌀 Searching for topics may be a bit “clunky”, we use single word searches & common starting point, we keep trying until we get a result: Recently active topics:

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

I did exactly as you recommended.  Backed up my config, Restored to default, Shutdown.  But I got the same result.  I can download both the .com and .zip and KIS quarantines them but does not give any messages. on the bottom/right of screen.  

Also, on the post where is says 4 Replies, that is next to the username..   I also noticed that it also says 0 Replies just above that.  So maybe that 4 replies is something associated with their account?  Which just confuses a user?  I could care less how many times that users has replied elsewhere…  ;-)  or whatever it means..

Hello @Snacko

You’re most welcome!

Thank you for the information!

1. Post an image of the Windows Notifications settings for KIS application?

Please post back?

Re:

4 Replies, next to the Username, 0 Replies just above that, So maybe that 4 replies is something associated with their account?” 

Correct! 

• Look at his profile. 

(ioo), there’s lot’s of fiddly/confusing/clunky things about the Community portal, however, the purpose (of the Community) is to try to help users sort out issues with their installed Kaspersky software

There’s no Community ‘How to? guide, just a Community FAQ

As previously explained, something’s happened to that topic, it’s been closed & “cleaned”; if you wish to discuss it, please raise it with a Mod or the Community Admin: forum@kaspersky.com

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

LOL @Schulte 🙇 , crossover again!! We need to ring each other, so our 🚀's don't zap each other in cyberspace😁

Hello @Snacko

Yes! Thanks!

1. Are other apps notifications being sent to the Windows Action centre
  2. Has KIS ever sent notifications to the Windows Action centre
  3. When was KIS installed? 
  4. On KIS main screen, are there any Recommendations or Notifications
  5. We see Win10, v21H119043.1466, was installed: 7th Nov, 2021, was that the first time Windows was installed? 
  6. Do all Windows Updates have a Successfully applied status? 
  7. IF Edge Chromium is used @ EICAR, ANTI MALWARE TESTFILE page:  select all 4 options, what’s the result? 
  8. Run WICAR tests, video the results, post back please? 

Please let us know?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋