US Government Ban on private use of Kaspersky anti-virus

Go to solution Solved by MedvedevUnited,

9 hours ago, MauleGuy said:

Interesting.  I looked on AVtest and UltraAV is nowhere to be found.  Is this simply Kaspersky Total Security or other Kaspersky package repackaged under a different name to get around the USA ban?

Hello,

UltraAV is a different company and our trusted partner. You can find more information about UltraAV at https://UltraSecureAV.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, ultrasecureav.com has been around for all of 2 months (https://web.archive.org/web/20240000000000*/ultrasecureav.com). Without too much digging, my bet is KAV has incorporated out of RU and is "reselling" as UAV. I guess we'll all find out once we install the "new" product! 😉

On 9/6/2024 at 3:53 PM, skowronek said:

FWIW, ultrasecureav.com has been around for all of 2 months (https://web.archive.org/web/20240000000000*/ultrasecureav.com). Without too much digging, my bet is KAV has incorporated out of RU and is "reselling" as UAV. I guess we'll all find out once we install the "new" product! 😉

After they actually confirmed the communication is from the company, this is also my bet. I they are just doing a "rebranding", i am taking it. But still quite a feat to try to position a well-known product into a very random existent one. We will see how this goes  

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the US running Kaspersky Endpoint Security on Linux. Yesterday September 21st was first time its database update could not complete with 'database out of sync' message; tested using a VPN into Mexico which successfully updated. Today (9/22) Endpoint Security updated successfully without VPN. Kaspersky Internet Security on Windows has not had any database update issues, yet.

Perhaps Kaspersky was testing their US server disable procedures - or it was a temporary network glitch.

Waiting to see how it goes on October 1st.

Honestly what the company has done Today was the worst possible thing they could have done. Pushing the installation of the replacement antivirus is definitely not the way to do it. But I gave it a try, and so far, it is not good. If I was not aware of what the product is, I would consider malware. The fact you can even close it tells the whole story. I was expecting at least a rebranding, but I guess that was too much to expect. Anyway, I will be uninstalling that thing. Honestly, I have lost a lot of trust in this company after Today, I am guessing I will be losing 2 years of license and a couple of hundreds in all this clow show

6 hours ago, roscolo said:

I simply connect each computer I manage to a VPN to a less restrictive nation, and Kaspersky updates and works just as great as it ever has. Looking forward to using Kaspersky for many years to come.

That you know of, is there a reasonably easy way to point all

traffic to a single PC that has a working VPN program, then

point all PC's on the LAN to that VPN'd PC ?  Kaspersky may

not be able to say it outright, but one of our fellow customers

(victims of an evil, illegitimate regime with zero respect for

property rights or freedom of any kind) should surely have

found a simple, straightforward method in 5 or less easy

steps.  I mean, it's just IP traffic.  An organization with dozens

upon dozens of licenses paid ahead for amounts measured in

years should not have to forfeit *anything* because of the

puppetmasters pulling Biden's strings.  I am disgusted.  With

Kaspersky Pure & Kaspersky Total Security keys registered to

a US based My Kaspersky account, this is an absurd outright

theft and interference with normal operations.

7 hours ago, roscolo said:

I simply connect each computer I manage to a VPN to a less restrictive nation, and Kaspersky updates and works just as great as it ever has. Looking forward to using Kaspersky for many years to come.

Roscolo, wouldn't it be easiest to just enable a VPN connection

on a local UDM-Pro that routes all traffic to Kaspersky's update

servers through a VPN so that when Total Security or Pure running

on any PC or Mac on the LAN goes to look for updates, the

Kaspersky servers "see" the traffic as coming from somewhere

besides the US ?

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but this type of method at the

*router* level would:

1)  require zero configuration / modification of the settings / software

running on individual desktop & laptop Windows PC's, Macs, & phones

that are connected on that LAN (run seamlessly / invisible to all of the

devices on the LAN)