Microsoft Software Protection Service Platform (sppsvc.exe)

Hi, In common with many other users online, my Windows 10 PC constantly runs Microsoft Software Protection Service Platform (sppsvc.exe) in the background. This often consumes high levels of CPU, Memory and Power and it's probably this that causes my laptop fan run at maximum speed.

The opinion online is that the two (sppsvc.exe and KTS) are in conflict. I've found ways to permanently disable sppsvc but I wonder if it's safe to do so? Does anyone know if Kaspersky Total Security performs the same function as sppsvc.exe so they are not both necessary? Any words of wisdom? Thanks

OS is Windows 10 build 19045

Kaspersky is 21.3.10.391 (k)

10 hours ago, Moonbeams said:

OS is Windows 10 build 19045; Kaspersky is 21.3.10.391 (k)

1. The opinion online is that the two (sppsvc.exe and KTS) are in conflict. 
  2. I've found ways to permanently disable sppsvc but I wonder if it's safe to do so?
  3. Does anyone know if Kaspersky Total Security (KTS) performs the same function as sppsvc.exe so they are not both necessary? 
  • 6.  laptop fan run at maximum speed.

Hello @Moonbeams

Welcome!

1. Is there an *actual* measurable conflict in the computer OR is this simply something that has been read? 
  2. No, it's not safe to do so. IF there's sppsvc issues contact Microsoft Technical Support. 
  3. KTS & sppsvc perform *completely different* functions; *both are necessary*.
  4.  IF (you) believe KTS is the problem, do a clean install of KTS = uninstall KTS *saving License information only* -> leave all other check-boxes EMPTY/BLANK & read & follow: How to uninstall the application & at the end of the uninstall, make sure the computer is powered fully OFF & started by pressing the power button, login, download a new KTS installer: Kaspersky Total Security for Windows®; install & recheck the issue? 
  5. Alternatively, upgrade KTS to Kaspersky Plus (at no charge) read: Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium - info & FAQ & recheck the issue? 
  6. Re 'laptop fan run at maximum speed', has any housekeeping been done on the laptop, is it a new issue, has it been checked by a service -> & & & -> so many possibilities?

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
pn