microsoft edge blocked

brutherb

so this started a while ago my netflix and disney plus app wouldnt connect. i tried the usual efforts. they would connect through chrome though. then one day when i was trying to figure out what was going on i noticed that there was a microsoft edge error. So i opened edge and it wouldnt connect to any pages either. again thgought it was an edge issue typical efforts to fix issue. None of these resolve the issue. Tonight i am playing with it some more i asm checking windows fire wall entries etc. part of my efforts tonight i shut down both malwarebytes and Kaspersky well low and behold the apps work and the browser connects to the web. I start each app back up individually and test. I whittled it down to somehow kaspersky is blocking ms edge . so i went into the setting and try and add ms edge as a trusted application, every time i add it kaspersky crashes. i can add pwahelper in the same folder and its fine but the msedge.exe file being added as a trusted app causes a crash. Is there other places i can look i dont have any blocked apps. i have looked there

36 minutes ago, brutherb said:

so this started a while ago my netflix and disney plus app wouldnt connect. i tried the usual efforts. they would connect through chrome though. then one day when i was trying to figure out what was going on i noticed that there was a microsoft edge error. So i opened edge and it wouldnt connect to any pages either

Hello @brutherb

Welcome!

1. What are the *actual* errors? Post a *screen-print* - we need to see what you see -> How to take a screenshot on a Windows PC?
  1. Make sure Windows Hidden files, is checked/ticked, refer: View hidden files and folders in Windows
  2. Open Kaspersky app, select Settings, select Generaluncheck Enable Self-Defense, select Save, select Yes - to confirm the action.
  3. Exit Kaspersky app - on the Windows taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select Exit.
  4. Go to folder C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3\Report\ and delete the contents = all files and folders.
  5. Start Kaspersky app.
  6. Enable Self-Defense.
  7. Shutdown the computer, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login.
  8. Re-check the issue?
  9. 💥IF the issue persists, upgrade KIS to Kaspersky Standard (free upgrade), read: Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium - info & FAQ, by Danila T.
  10. IF the issue persists, please log a request with Kaspersky Customer Service: https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts; on the support page, select either Chat or Email, then fill in Application malfunction, Other template; please include any screen images of the error & a detailed history. Support may request logs, traces & other data; they will guide you. 
  • Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you🙏
    Flood🐳+🐋

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I had a very similar issue since mid November.  I could not connect to any website using edge browser (Chrome and Firefox worked though).  Neither was I able to connect to any mailserver (google, outlook,...) when trying to synchronise mails in my outlook client.  But when I disabled Kaspersky and restart my computer everything worked as before.  Now that's not my preferred solution.

I applied above steps (1 to 8 ) and that finally solved the issue!  I don't understand what it does, but it does the trick.

Thank you @Flood and Flood's wife and @Igor Kurzin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

Had the same issue. Somehow only edge, microsoft apps and whatsapp app didn't connect to the internet. Shows up as "Error connection reset" on edge. Chrome, brave and other apps works fine.

After days of debugging figured out the disabling KIS got it back working. 
Steps 1-8 got it back working. Thanks @Flood and Flood's wife

What im curious is, there are no logs of the restriction by KIS in the report/logs of KIS.

Edited by GKumaran
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GKumaran said:

What i'm curious is, there are no logs of the restriction by KIS in the report/logs of KIS.

Hello @GKumaran

Welcome back!

We're pleased to hear the solution worked. 

The issue is not captured in KIS logs because the root cause is a fault in version 21.3. 

The permanent solution is to upgrade KIS to Kaspersky's *new* Kaspersky Standard; the upgrade is free & is like-for-like; read: Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium - info & FAQ, by Danila T. KIS will eventually become obsolete, Kaspersky have not yet announced an end-date. 

1. Check (your) MyKaspersky account, Subscriptions tab & make sure the *existing* Kaspersky Activation code is saved there? 
  2. Create a System restore pointHow to create a restore point in Windows
  3. Uninstall KIS -> during the uninstall (you) will be prompted to save data - only select License information
  4. At the end of the uninstall make sure the computer is rebooted. 
  5. Download the new software from here: https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads#update-product
  6. Install, follow: How to install the application
  7. At the end of the install make sure the application is *signed into* with the same email address that (you) use to sign into (your) MyKaspersky account - so the software, account & license synchronise. 
  8. Run a Database update. 
  9. Shutdown the computer using SHUTDOWN not Restart, when the computer if fully OFF - power ON by pressing the power button, login.

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

• Like 1