KFA blocking Windows Update (0x80070005) [Closed]

waynelim9
Go to solution Solved by richbuff,

Hi, recently, all my windows update are being blocked by Kaspersky Antivirus Free when it is active. The updates will just fail with the error code 0x80070005. After I paused the protection, the updates will go through without any problems. Are there any solutions to this issue? Thank you.

Welcome. Please pass your mouse cursor over the Kaspersky tray icon and tell us the full, complete name and version number of your Kaspersky product. What Windows operating system? Any special networking environment? Are you logged into Windows as Administrator?

Recently, all my windows update are being blocked by Kaspersky Antivirus Free when it is active. The updates will just fail with the error code 0x80070005.
Hello waynelim9, Thanks for posting back.
  1. Before this problem started, did Windows updates - update automatically and continuously?
  2. Which was the first Windows update - KB #, when this issue started?
  3. May we have a GSI & Window logs, please upload to cloud & post back the link? (or pm the link if you wish)
Thanks. GIS-Windows log help documentation.

Hi, I did not want Windows to automatically install the updates, so I set it to inform me when there are any updates. And prior to the start of this problem, I can install the updates just fine, without any error. The first issue happened around Windows update KB4486553. As for the link, please see pm, as the files contain sensitive data, I do not want to allow everyone to be able to see the info. Thank you.

waynelim9, (1) Create a system restore point and a sys image. (2) Uninstall Kaspersky software. (3) Shutdown PC using full shutdown method:
  1. Start menu, select Power button, press and hold keyboard Shift key while clicking on Shut down, then release the Shift key to perform a full shutdown.
(4) Restart PC, login. (5) Download and install new Kaspersky installer. (6) Shutdown PC using full shutdown method:
  1. Start menu, select Power button, press and hold keyboard Shift key while clicking on Shut down, then release the Shift key to perform a full shutdown.
(7) Restart PC, login. (8) Ensure Kaspersky application is active. (9) Activate PSR (10) Activate GSI-Windows logs (11) Manually update available Windows update, replicating KFA blocking Windows update - error 0x80070005 (12) Upload GSI/Windows logs & PSR to cloud, pm link. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I’m having the same problem with KAV 20.0.14.1085(f) -- the PAID version. But the problems started with KAV 19 already, at about the same time when waynelim9 (the original poster) started having them as well, a couple of months ago.

It didn’t occur to me that KAV could be the cause, as I’ve been a happy user for 10 years or so and had never had any problems before. When the problem started, I was running Windows 10 Pro x64 release 1809.

Error 0x80070005 is one of the commonest issues with Windows Update, and the Web forums are overflowing with people seeking help for it. Unfortunately, it’s also one of the hardest to fix, as the cause is usually obscure. There are many proposed fixes that include changing the permissions of system folders using SubInACL, deleting the Windows Update cache, and many more. I tried all of them, and all of them failed. But since I was planning for soon a major hardware upgrade that would entail reinstalling Windows cleanly, I gave up, left my OS unpatched (a low risk for me and for a short time, given my conscious usage habits and, of course, KAV protecting me), and hoped that the problems would be solved after the reinstall.

This last weekend I finally made the hardware upgrade and reinstalled Windows, this time with the brand-new release 1909. As usual, one of the first things I did was installing KAV. I installed a few more programs and then looked for Windows Updates. They failed with the infamous 0x80070005 (a few driver updates succeeded). However, that first Windows reinstall was botched for unrelated reasons and I had to redo it. After the second (also clean) reinstall, I looked for Windows Updates first thing after first boot, with NOTHING installed or configured yet, just the plain original Windows install. They all installed without any issues.

Coincidentally, just two days later, yesterday was the monthly Patch Tuesday and new Windows updates were available. By then I had already installed quite a few new programs, including KAV (now in the new version 20). Guess what? They failed with 0x80070005! So, I tried to figure out what I could have installed or configured that was causing it. The installed program that interfered most deeply with the system was KAV (as would be true for any other AV as well). So, just at a hunch and without any particular grounds for suspicion, I disabled KAV temporarily and tried Windows Update again. Everything installed perfectly like a charm!

Well, from my story above, you can see that I can't tell you exactly which was the first Windows Update that failed with my old configuration (I don't remember it and I didn't take note of it, but it was probably the September or October Cumulative Update). Now my system is patched and up-to-date, so I won't be able to reproduce the issue until next month, unless Microsoft releases some extra patch in the meantime. I'm from Brazil and use the Brazilian Portuguese version of Windows (and KAV), so my system logs would probably be in that language as well and of little use to you. Then, why am I posting this?

For two related reasons: first, to let Kaspersky know that waynelim9 was not the only user with this problem. I suppose it must be happening A LOT out there, and probably the only reason why you're not being flooded with reports of this issue is that it's very difficult to pinpoint the cause of a 0x80070005 error and, as happened with me, most affected users must be simply not suspecting KAV at all (curiously, I never saw any mention to KAV or to any competing security product as a possible cause in all of the dozens of Web posts I saw about the error -- on the contrary, some of them encouraged users to scan their systems for malware as a possible cause). Like I said, I only found that out by chance and at a hunch, and only because I had a brand-new system install where it was easier to guess a possible cause.

The second reason was that I noticed that there were no more public replies to this thread and no follow-up was published, either on waynelim9's side or on yours, and I would like to ask you if you're actively looking for a fix, as you're obviously the only ones who can solve this problem. In the absence of a KAV program update, I know what I'll have to do next month -- temporarily disable KAV while Windows is updated, risky and worrisome as it is -- but there must be many users out there who won't know what to do and whose systems will remain unpatched, which is probably an even greater security risk in the long term.

I've also found some other issues with KAV 20 (including, but not limited to SERIOUS performance issues that I'd never found with any previous version), but I'll talk about them in a separate post. Since I have a brand-new Windows install and those issues are not critical, only annoying, I'll probably wait a few more days before posting it, to allow for possible new issues to appear.

Spasiba! :-)

Hello  @goyta,

Thank you for taking the time to post.

To address  “there were no more public replies to this thread and no follow-up was published”, remembering that any person posting, with a technical issue, has the machine, software, history, environment, we have nothing, other than what we’ve been told; if we’ve requested information and nothing is forthcoming, we rarely make further commentary, that doesn’t necessarily mean we stop investigating issues. 

Additionally, patch g is being distributed, you may wish to check if g solves recurring 0x80070005🤔 ; if it doesn’t, please let us know how Kaspersky Technical Support helps you resolve the issue?  

Thank you. 

Please contact Tech Support: https://my.kaspersky.com/support/

Please attach the following items to your Tech Support request: 

a. Description of the issue.
b. Screenshot, as needed.
c. GSI

The support site is down at this moment for “scheduled maintenance”, but I’ll try again later. However, while I can and will attach a GSI report, if you read my previous post you will see that, for obvious reasons, the problem is not reproducible until the next Windows Update is available, probably in January 2020, so I can’t attach a screenshot for now. I’ll be waiting for update “g" to be released, to see if it fixes the problem, but I’m skeptical, because the issue has already survived a major version update (from KAV 19 to 20, not to mention the update from Windows 1809 to 1909). Thanks anyway.