KAV - UltraAV software- No notification, Automatically Installs, and Can't Remove it!!

viper69

Hi folks, this is an Official Statement from Kaspersky and UltraAV on the recent update

Following the recent decision by the U.S. Department of Commerce that prohibits Kaspersky from selling or updating certain antivirus products in the United States, Kaspersky partnered with antivirus provider UltraAV to ensure continued protection for US-based customers that will no longer have access to Kaspersky’s protections.

Kaspersky and UltraAV worked closely to ensure customers would maintain the standards of security and privacy users have come to expect from their service.

UltraAV includes comparable features such as:

Industry-leading antivirus protection - Protects against malware, spyware, ransomware, adware and more

Premium VPN - Prevents your data from being intercepted, and allows you to surf the web anonymously and enjoy global content.

Password Manager - Create strong passwords, securely store them in one place, and autofill them with just a few clicks.

Identity Theft Protection - Comprehensive Identity protection including credit monitoring with real-time alerts, immediate support, and $1 million in insurance coverage

Please reference this chart to see how UltraAV delivers the high-level of security provided in your previous service.

Kaspersky has additionally partnered with UltraAV to make the transition to their product as seamless as possible, which is why on 9/19, U.S. Kaspersky antivirus customers received a software update facilitating the transition to UltraAV. This update ensured that users would not experience a gap in protection upon Kaspersky’s exit from the market.

To learn more about UltraAV, visit their website. If you have more questions about the transition, please review the frequently asked questions or contact their support team.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vadim N said:

Hi folks, this is an Official Statement from Kaspersky and UltraAV on the recent update

Following the recent decision by the U.S. Department of Commerce that prohibits Kaspersky from selling or updating certain antivirus products in the United States, Kaspersky partnered with antivirus provider UltraAV to ensure continued protection for US-based customers that will no longer have access to Kaspersky’s protections.

Kaspersky and UltraAV worked closely to ensure customers would maintain the standards of security and privacy users have come to expect from their service.

UltraAV includes comparable features such as:

Industry-leading antivirus protection - Protects against malware, spyware, ransomware, adware and more

Premium VPN - Prevents your data from being intercepted, and allows you to surf the web anonymously and enjoy global content.

Password Manager - Create strong passwords, securely store them in one place, and autofill them with just a few clicks.

Identity Theft Protection - Comprehensive Identity protection including credit monitoring with real-time alerts, immediate support, and $1 million in insurance coverage

Please reference this chart to see how UltraAV delivers the high-level of security provided in your previous service.

Kaspersky has additionally partnered with UltraAV to make the transition to their product as seamless as possible, which is why on 9/19, U.S. Kaspersky antivirus customers received a software update facilitating the transition to UltraAV. This update ensured that users would not experience a gap in protection upon Kaspersky’s exit from the market.

To learn more about UltraAV, visit their website. If you have more questions about the transition, please review the frequently asked questions or contact their support team.

Thanks Vadim for the "Statement after the fact".

Yes, I received a notice from Kaspersky 2 weeks ago, but I ignored it, as it was only supposed to apply to U.S. users. Can you tell me why your 'targeted' software replacement made a serious detour across the Pacific to Australia..???

Then maybe you can convince us all why we should trust that you've done the right thing.

I sent this to Kaspersky support.  This conversion was horrible:

"Sadly you have lost me as a customer.  Pango was terrible and actually froze my computer.  I rebooted and then nothing would open in my task bar or anywhere.  I was able to delete Pango Ultra AV from my laptop.  I had to log out of Ultra AV to close it and then I got a pop up saying my membership had expired and that I had to pay.  This conversion  was not properly tested.  I filled out a Pango ticket and I got what appeared to be an AI response, the following: 

I hope this email finds you well. I wanted to personally follow up on the inquiry you made on our Pango website.

Your interest in our products and solutions means a lot to us. How can I assist you further? Do you have any questions or anything specific in mind? 

Looking forward to connecting with you soon.

It said to ask more questions if I had them and I did and none answered. 

It's only been less than 2 days and bad reports about this Pango conversion are popping up on the Net.  Kaspersky should have gone with Bitdefender. I will be switching to them.  This was a horrible conversion and experience.  Pango Ultra AV totally messed up my computer and I was thankful I was able to delete it and my computer came back to normal.  Others around the Net are reporting Ulta AV keeps coming back after it was deleted.  This was not properly tested and Pango is not to be trusted and has no proper support.  No one has ever heard of Pango and a Google search on Pango and Ultra AV brings up almost nothing except the Kaspersky hand-off to Pango.  Kaspersky should have kept the original offer to Bitdefender which was pulled. I was with Kaspersky for many years and loved it along with the phone support and email support.  Sad it had to end this way.

Edited by juanstijuana17
  • Like 1

1 час назад, Lurch56 сказал:

Thanks Vadim for the "Statement after the fact".

Yes, I received a notice from Kaspersky 2 weeks ago, but I ignored it, as it was only supposed to apply to U.S. users. Can you tell me why your 'targeted' software replacement made a serious detour across the Pacific to Australia..???

Then maybe you can convince us all why we should trust that you've done the right thing.

Only users of US licenses were updated to Ultra apps. If you are in Australia, it means that you are using a US license for some reason. Please contact our Support team if you have any questions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Vadim N said:

Only users of US licenses were updated to Ultra apps. If you are in Australia, it means that you are using a US license for some reason. Please contact our Support team if you have any questions.

Hello @Vadim N

Thank you for the information!

1. Kaspersky software must be activated in the same location / region it's purchased, *after that* the activated software/subscription/license -  can be used *anywhere* in the world - as per  Can I activate the application with an activation code bought in a different country? - is the UAV Total Force Silent Migration going to *only* happen to Kaspersky Subscribers who have subscriptions originally activated in the US & the subscriber is now physically located in the US OR is the UAV Total Force Silent Migration going to happen to *all* US subscriptions irrespective of where the subscription *owner* currently resides? 
  2. For subscribers who purchased their Kaspersky subscription from Kaspersky's Global website & those subscribers/subscription are now physically located in the US - are those subscribers/subscriptions going to have the UAV Total Force Silent Migration applied? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
pn
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, jobu59749 said:

Maybe you missed it Bill.  I got a notice on Sept. 5th. 

I missed nothing as I'm in my email constantly all day long. Kaspersky didn't send out the notifications.

Kaspersky- Great software, terrible communication and customer service skills.

• Like 2

I received the 9/5 email, but it specifically stated- "In the coming days, you will be receiving communications from UltraAV with instructions on how to activate your new account. " There was no follow-on email and like the others, the software simply showed up. I also received a notice from K that my automated renewal had been cancelled, but without any notice or explanation as to why.

So, here are the concerns - 

1, No follow-on email to advise, in advance, as to what we should expect and by when.

2. My K software is still installed in addition to Ultra AV, what do I do about the K software?

3. Did whatever settings I had with K migrate into Ultra AV or, do I need to start over?

4. Why is Ultra AV not listed in any test forum like K is so that there is an awareness of how robust (or not) it is? K has been consistently ranked a top contender by many 3rd party, independent test companies and even K touts how it has helped identify numerous threats to include some affecting the US government. What has Ultra AV done? I have no interest in their $1 million protection insurance. That is an after-the-fact issue when the damage has already been done. K posted nothing about any vetting or due diligence that had been performed prior to the change. How do we know that the performance and protection suite is as robust, reliable and forward looking with regard to emerging threats as K? 

While I understand the direction that K was forced to go, a little more transparency and assurances from K about who we are being forced to move to and their expertise in the area, with apparently no alternative nor potential refund opportunity, is simply perceived as a "wash your hands" of the issue without much regard for the customer. 

• Like 1

GOT IT REMOVED! It's been a few days since I noticed two new icons on my desktop, but haven't had a chance to deal with it until now. Started reading, found this page, read all the way down to Peter Simmons' post.. (thanks, Peter!) 

The first thing I did was to move the two new shortcut icons to the trash. But then, when I tried to uninstall from where I usually do it, Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features>Uninstall a program, they would not delete. 

So THEN, I tried this: I'm on Windows - click on the 4 blue squares in the lower left of the taskbar. Click on the Settings gear icon, wait for it to load, click on Apps in the left-hand column, then Installed apps on the wide right column - you'll get a long list. 

FIRST, find these culprits, click on the three vertical dots for each one, then Uninstall.  I deleted Kaskpersky first, both instances (if they're not in the US, they shouldn't be in my computer!), and that worked

NEXT, I was able to delete the Ultra AV first. It took a little while. 

THEN, I was able to delete the UltraVPN

LAST, I restarted my computer (apparently, this is important to do).

So far this morning, all is well, and these pieces of *garbage* aren't here in either of these lists.

Thank you to all who contributed here!

3 hours ago, Vadim N said:

Sorry Vadim, that sounds like a 'best guess' to me. I won't be contacting your support team and I won't be recommending Kaspersky to anyone again...

I'm outta here.... 😒

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LarryN said:

I received the 9/5 email, but it specifically stated- "In the coming days, you will be receiving communications from UltraAV with instructions on how to activate your new account. " There was no follow-on email and like the others, the software simply showed up. I also received a notice from K that my automated renewal had been cancelled, but without any notice or explanation as to why.

So, here are the concerns - 

1, No follow-on email to advise, in advance, as to what we should expect and by when.

2. My K software is still installed in addition to Ultra AV, what do I do about the K software?

3. Did whatever settings I had with K migrate into Ultra AV or, do I need to start over?

4. Why is Ultra AV not listed in any test forum like K is so that there is an awareness of how robust (or not) it is? K has been consistently ranked a top contender by many 3rd party, independent test companies and even K touts how it has helped identify numerous threats to include some affecting the US government. What has Ultra AV done? I have no interest in their $1 million protection insurance. That is an after-the-fact issue when the damage has already been done. K posted nothing about any vetting or due diligence that had been performed prior to the change. How do we know that the performance and protection suite is as robust, reliable and forward looking with regard to emerging threats as K? 

While I understand the direction that K was forced to go, a little more transparency and assurances from K about who we are being forced to move to and their expertise in the area, with apparently no alternative nor potential refund opportunity, is simply perceived as a "wash your hands" of the issue without much regard for the customer. 

Reason #2 is exactly why I thought it might be malware and removed it. Surely if Kaspersky were to migrate me to new AV software they'd be crystal clear about it notifying by both e-mail and via a notification within the KAV app itself, right? I mean sounds like a no-brainer, right?

Nope! It's stated that they sent out e-mails, but clearly, many of us did not receive those e-mails. Which again, may be because they are be blocked by some major e-mail providers like Google and Microsoft. Again, I haven't received an e-mail from Kaspersky since August.

Which leads me back to the point of why and the heck didn't Kaspersky notify us via THEIR OWN AV APP?! Among all the notifications I received from the KAV app, you mean to tell that the geniuses there didn't think to provide instructions via a notification within the KAV app itself.

Again! Absolutely bone-headed decision-making on their part. I mean as a dev myself, it's mind-boggling how idiotic this conversion was implemented.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LarryN said:

I received the 9/5 email, but it specifically stated- "In the coming days, you will be receiving communications from UltraAV with instructions on how to activate your new account. "

Hey, at least you got an email. I got zero info from Kaspersky themselves. The last email I have is the receipt from my purchase on January 31st.

On 9/19/2024 at 9:31 PM, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @viper69

Thank you for posting back & the information!

No apology, we totally understand!

Yes, IF MB has the files quarantined the entire process will not have completed cleanly. 

To delete the files/folder - run the computer in Safe Mode, read: How to start a Windows PC in Safe Mode

Post back the outcome please - when (you) have time? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Thanks. I didn't see this, and all the files were kept in quarantine. I couldn't delete anything including in safe mode.

Using Malewarebytes I deleted all the files today that were in quarantine it seems. However the UAV folder in Programs remains there, and when I try to delete the folder I get an error saying I need permissions, and I'm the admin too.

I emailed the Indian company, I don't expect much based on other replies i"ve seen.

I'm emailing KAV too.

I don't know how to provide you a link, I c/p'd a link of all I have done, but KAV denied it.

Edited by viper69
  • Thanks 1