Kaspersky Premium and SysHardener -- good or bad idea?

Dear all, I'm currently using Kaspersky Premium on a Windows 11 Pro machine. Is it a good idea to use SysHardener alongside Kaspersky Premium as an additional layer of security or should Kaspersky Premium be left alone?

About SysHardener:

Windows OS security application that allows you to harden Windows settings to mitigate cybersecurity threats. With this tool you can restrict functionalities of Windows and
secure vulnerable applications (i.e Office and Adobe Reader). You can unassociate VBS, VBE, JS, ISO, IMG, MSI, CHM file type associations, disable Macros and ActiveX on Office, disable unused Windows Services, block outbound connections of specific programs via Windows Firewall, and much more.

Source: https:// www . syshardener . com/

Thanks for your replies in advance.:classic_smile:

Edited by Buddel
spelling

Checked the program out on a virtual machine. Everything under "Windows Security Tweaks" and "Vulnerable Software Tweaks" can be enabled or disabled at will and it won't interfere with Kaspersky functionality.

I'm not sure about the Firewall ones, nor the Privacy ones. I don't really care about the latter.

1 hour ago, Buddel said:

I'm currently using Kaspersky Premium on a Windows 11 Pro machine. Is it a good idea to use SysHardener alongside Kaspersky Premium as an additional layer of security or should Kaspersky Premium be left alone?

Hello @Buddel

Welcome back!

carefully written, well documented, fact based guideHardening the Low Restricted Group  - posted 4th Nov, 2023, by Moderator @harlan4096 may interest you.

Note, he's targetting the: Low Restricted group. 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Buddel said:

Is there anybody out there who uses both Kaspersky Standard/Plus/Premium AND SysHardener on a regular basis?

I think it's fine to use them both.

SysHardener is not a real-time on-access scanner like Kaspersky to interfere with it or any of its components. It's just a GUI to set various centralized Windows settings (that you can set yourself) with a few clicks.

The real issues arise when you use two real-time anti-malware software at the same time. Then, they will conflict.

I tested the default configuration of SysHardener with the default configuration (and my own configuration) of Kaspersky Plus in a VM and there was no consequence that I can tell, none in event viewer, none in Kaspersky's own reports.

So, all in all, it's safe to use. Based on my research though, I don't like that they switched SysHardener to being paid with a 30 day trial, when it used to be free. I also don't like software like this - I would just do the settings manually (and perhaps write a guide for myself if I need to do it again after a fresh Windows install - or after a feature update where things may be restored to default). That's just me though, I like knowing exactly what I'm doing as there's no way to tell what the software is modifying in the system unless it was open source, which, this software is not.

If you like the centralized, and admittedly faster way of applying these settings, keep using SysHardener and Kaspersky will have no issue with it whatsoever.

@CryluneThank you so much for your detailed information. I also think it doesn't hurt to use SysHardener alongside Kaspersky, so I decided to give SysHardener (another) try. I'm familiar with this app, but I wasn't sure whether or not it would be a good idea two use two security apps at the same time, albeit SysHardener does not offer real-time protection (unlike OSArmor from the same author). Anyway, thank you very much for your help.