Anyone with Netgear orbit AC3000 (RBS50) facing http://wpad.domain.name/wpad.dat problem?

Hayatt

Hello,

I have been facing the problem of having an alert that
http://wpad.domain.name/wpad.dat is detected

Link

I have tried the steps suggested by Kaspersky (contacing ISP, updating the firmware, factory-reseeting the router) but nothing worked.

So the last step they recommended was changing the router.

The latest router my ISP has is Netgear Orbi AC3000  (RBS50).

Does anyone have this router? Does it cause the same problem? Or is it fine?

I don’t want to buy a new router and get the same problem again.

Any help is appreciated.

@Hayatt Welcome.

Please see comment from @Danila T. in this important Topic.

Link

Please contact your ISP and refer to :

A lot of routers/modems are preset that DNS suffix.

This isn't new, this has been used for 20 years now.

Using a DNS suffix like that means that it is theoretically possible for a mal-wisher to change the file at its location,

and eventually have it loaded into the user's system, thus setting up an unwanted proxy server, and intercept browsing data.”

@Hayatt Welcome.

Please see comment from @Danila T. in this important Topic.

Link

Using a DNS suffix like that means that it is theoretically possible for a mal-wisher to change the file at its location,

and eventually have it loaded into the user's system, thus setting up an unwanted proxy server, and intercept browsing data.”

Thanks. I did. My ISP could not help. They advised me to use dymanic DNS instead of static. But I don’t think this the answer.
I contacted Kapsersky suuport, and they said they can not tell which routers will solve this problem.
My only hope is that someone who has this router to provide me with their experience.
Appreciate any help.

@Hayatt Welcome.

Link

Thanks. I did. My ISP could not help. They advised me to use dymanic DNS instead of static. But I don’t think this the answer.
I contacted Kapsersky suuport, and they said they can not tell which routers will solve this problem.
My only hope is that someone who has this router to provide me with their experience.
Appreciate any help.

Hello,

Please check the router manufacturer's website for new firmware. If it doesn’t help, Please see microsoft support answer for how to close wpad query.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/a97604d6-b6d1-41e5-b6fc-dbbccebf570d/disable-wpad-dns-querys-completly?forum=winservergen

Tell us the result if you use above method to solve the problem. Thanks.

Regards.

@Hayatt Welcome.

Link

Appreciate any help.

Hello,

Please check the router manufacturer's website for new firmware. If it doesn’t help, Please see microsoft support answer for how to close wpad query.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/a97604d6-b6d1-41e5-b6fc-dbbccebf570d/disable-wpad-dns-querys-completly?forum=winservergen

Tell us the result if you use above method to solve the problem. Thanks.

Regards.

Thank you very much. I’ll look into that.
But strangely enough, the message stopped showing on its own. I have not done anything new! SO my guess that Kaspersky has updated the program or something.