Unable to access Microsoft Office documents on NAS, message "The file cannot be opened because your virus scanner has detected a problem with the file".

sads45

I have just updated Kaspersky Total Security to build 20.0.14.1085. I use Microsoft Office 2003 and now, when I try to access an Excel or Word document on my NAS, I get the message "The file cannot be opened because your virus scanner has detected a problem with the file". If I pause the Kaspersky protection I can open the document. If I copy the file to my local hard drive I can open the document. If I create a new document and then save it to the NAS I get the error message when I subsequently try to open it.

just updated KTS 20.0.14.1085. MS Office 2003 . When I try to access an Excel or Word document on my NAS, I get the message "The file cannot be opened because your virus scanner has detected a problem with the file". Pause KTS, doc opens. Copy file to local hard drive , doc opens. Create new doc, save to NAS, I get the error message when I subsequently try to open it.
Hello sads45, Welcome! Please tell us:
  1. Operating system full name? version? build?
  2. KTS: free? or licensed? (see note at the end of my reply), patch(x)? x = letter
  3. If you're using Windows, AND, if you're familiar with Registry Editor, please check the following key:
  1. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments ScanWithAntivirus - what "value" is set?
Please don't change anything in Registry Editor, simply look and report back please?
  1. If you're not using Windows, please let us know 1. & 2.?
Thank you. Note: Kaspersky free software has (config) limitations, advertising & no Technical Support. If we know this, we ensure we never waste your time, advising you, for example: "contact Technical Support".

Hello sads45, Thank you for posting back and the information. pjcolonna reported "Virus Scan Failed", issue, very similar to what you're reporting Google Chrome Download to a network drive - Virus Scan Failed, due to File AV. pjcolonna's solution was to change: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments ScanWithAntivirus value from 3 to 1. If, you are comfortable modifying RE, before making any changes, please create a system restore point, and export the registry. However, if you're not familiar with Registry Editor, you may wish to contact Technical Support (to guide you), or post back so we can provide detailed steps?
  1. In anticipation of an obvious question, "how come this is happening with KTS 2020?" It could well be a bug the Lab need to work on.
The only way to know that, is to submit Traces, GSI, Windows logs etc., to the Technical Team, (reference documentation at the end of my reply) Please let us know what you decide? Thanks & best regards. GSI & Windows logs

Thank you for your advice. I changed the "ScanWithAntivirus value" from 3 to 1, as suggested, but it made no difference. I have decided to circumvent the problem by installing LibreOffice to replace the old version Of Microsoft office. Having done this I have no problem. Regards

\ Thank you for your advice. I changed the "ScanWithAntivirus value" from 3 to 1, as suggested, but it made no difference. I have decided to circumvent the problem by installing LibreOffice to replace the old version Of Microsoft office. Having done this I have no problem.
Hello sads45, Thank you for posting back. I'm glad you have found and implemented a working solution:clap_tone3:. Best regards

• 4 weeks later...
Hello, is there any other solution. Because we cant change to libre we need Office 2003. Same Problem but with KOS, and not a NAS ( Data on Server 2012R2 )
Hello jlinsen, Welcome! Your reply is in Products for Home, unless you're using KOS in a home, domestic environment, it would be better for you to raise a topic in https://community.kaspersky.com/kaspersky-small-office-security-29, so that people with expertise in your product / environment can assist. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, unfortunately I have the same problem: Kaspersky Total Security with license, Office 2003, doc and xls files on NAS (QNAP), windows 10. When I try to open from network drive doc or xls I get the message "The file cannot be opened because your virus scanner has detected a problem with the file". If I copy the files to the local disk I can open them without problems. If I stop the anti-virus component for files in Kaspersky, I can open the files on the network drive without any problems. Unfortunately, I cannot give up Office 2003 and I cannot keep the antivirus for files off. Problem 2 is: With Kaspersky firewall on, I cannot access shared folders on the NAS in the workgroup, but if I stop the firewall I can access NAS, after I start the firewall and remain with access to the NAS until my computer restarts. Please help.