Why are all chromium based browser not supported.

Version of your operating system

Windows 10 64 bit

Name and version number of the Kaspersky application

Kaspersky Plus

Explain in details the nature of your problem 

Only certain chromium browsers are supported to prompt for installation of the browser extension. I have to rename the .exe file for other chromium based browser such as Brave to get the extension to install. From testing on phishing links, the extension works fine on the browser so I find it strange why you only allow for installation with chrome or edge.  

If a browser supports the installation of chrome extensions then why is the extension not allowed for installation. What is the necessity for witholding your extension for use with chrome or edge?

Edited by Volker
Submitted prematurely

Hello @Volker

Welcome!

1. Please refer: Kaspersky Basic | Standard | Plus | Premium: Hardware & software requirements: Browser support

?Brave has never been supported. 

• IF you choose to modify the exe, the hack may make other software, Kaspersky Password Manager extension, for example, not work. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
  • Like 1

Hello. Thank you for your welcome.

I am aware Brave has never been supported.

My question was why? Is there a technical reason?

What is the KIS extension doing in Chrome or Edge that it isn't doing with other chromium browsers (Brave for example)?

If renaming the .exe is all it takes to allow the extension to work in other chromium browsers, then is this not a superficial problem?

What criteria has to be met for official support?

51 minutes ago, Volker said:

What criteria has to be met for official support?

Hello @Volker

You're most welcome!

Thank you for posting back!

Kaspersky officially supports Brave for their Kaspersky password manager extension, but not the AV; the issue's been raised many times, Kaspersky have never said; the information may fall in 'commercial in confidence' scope; if you wish you may like to log the issue with Kaspersky support, fill in either Chat or Email, select Feedback, I have a Suggestion OR, Feedback, I have a Complaint template, see what they say! 

• Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

• 2 weeks later...

I've attached the responses from Kaspersky.

To summarise:

• Official browser support includes dedicating resources to testing and maintenance for that specific implementation. They would not elaborate on the scope, but I would assume they look for bugs/vulnerabilites etc.

• Popularity of a web browser determines whether it is worth dedicating resources to.

• While the KIS Chrome and Edge extension are the same (and therefore compatible with most other chromium browsers), non-supported browsers are untested. In the worse case, the KIS extension may cause either itself, the web browser or the Kaspersky application to not function correctly.

• They are currently compiling user feedback for Brave browser. If you want to see Brave supported, I recommend filing a ticket using the support link below. The more feedback they receive, the more likely it will be implemented.
On 10/24/2022 at 5:11 AM, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Kaspersky support, fill in either Chat or Email, select Feedback, I have a Suggestion OR, Feedback, I have a Complaint

Response.png

Response 2.png

Edited by Volker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Kishardon said:

does Yandex have an extension

Hello @Kishardon

Welcome back!

Kaspersky, Standard | Plus | Premium, 21.9, Browser support:

The following browsers support installing the Kaspersky Protection extension:

• Chromium-based Microsoft Edge 77.x – 107.x;
  • Mozilla Firefox versions 52.x – 107.x;
  • Mozilla Firefox ESR 52.x, 60.x, 68.x, 78.x, 91.x, 102.x;
  • Google Chrome versions 48.x – 108.x.

Kaspersky does have a qualifying statement for Yandex, in the section: The following browsers support Protected Browser mode, which is not what you're referring to. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

1 hour ago, Kishardon said:
  1. well, it looks like Microsoft edge does not support Kaspersky private browser. Just another bug

Hello @Kishardon,

?There is no bug -> as we advised in our last reply: Edge, Kaspersky Protection extension is supported, follow the documentationInstalling the Kaspersky Protection extension in Chromium-based Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome?  - including: Add, turn off, or remove extensions in Microsoft Edge?

image.thumb.png.9108069f0fabdd33eec4cba85f32f884.png

image.thumb.png.1b604e2310dc11df1e81657da2bf844b.png

• ?Also, for your own privacy & security - you may wish to hide your private email address before posting to a public forum?

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Microsoft Edge Version 110.0.1587.41 (Official build) (64-bit), Kaspersky Protection extension v 2.3.16.0

how do i delet  the

42 minutes ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @Kishardon,

?There is no bug -> as we advised in our last reply: Edge, Kaspersky Protection extension is supported, follow the documentationInstalling the Kaspersky Protection extension in Chromium-based Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome?  - including: Add, turn off, or remove extensions in Microsoft Edge?

image.thumb.png.9108069f0fabdd33eec4cba85f32f884.png

image.thumb.png.1b604e2310dc11df1e81657da2bf844b.png

• ?Also, for your own privacy & security - you may wish to hide your private email address before posting to a public forum?

Thank you?
Flood?+?

how do i delete my attachent with email my mistake

Hello @Kishardon

You are most welcome!

?Re: installing the Kaspersky Protection Extension & Edge, have you read & done the following, from the Kaspersky *application* & when you start the procedure do not have the Edge browser running

Kaspersky Protection browser extension

Automatic installation of Kaspersky Protection extension in Chromium-based Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome is not available. You must download and install the Kaspersky Protection extension manually. You can download and install the extension from the notification window that is displayed when you start the browser for the first time after installing the application. Alternatively, you can download and install the extension from the application window.

How to download and install Kaspersky Protection extension in Chromium-based Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome

1. Open the main window of the application and perform the following actions:
    • In the main window, find the recommendation to install the browser extension and click Enable.
    • Select the Security section.
      1. Under Security, select Kaspersky Protection extension.
      2. Under Kaspersky Protection extension, select your browser and click Enable to open the extension installation window.
  2. Follow the standard procedure to install the extension in your browser (refer to the online help of your browser).
  3. When the installation is complete, enable the extension in one of the following ways:
    • Under Kaspersky Protection extension, click Enable for the selected browser.
    • Use the standard method for your browser (refer to the online help of your browser).

The Kaspersky Protection extension block and the recommendation to install the Kaspersky Protection extension in the main window become available when you start the browser for the first time after installing the Kaspersky application.

The email address issue has been reported, the Kaspersky Community Moderators will attend to it when they are available. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?