PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR in Firefox v.91

Icarus

Today Kaspersky AntiVirus 21.3.10.391e updated as usual, then a Windows 10 pro update (21H1 I think, though I already had 21H2) installed, and now I can’t connect to any websites on Firefox v.91.0. It works on Microsoft Edge fine. With Firefox I just get the following message for any website I try:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to click.kaspersky.com. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Any ideas how to fix this please? I’ve tried reinstalling Firefox and Kaspersky AV to no avail, tried clearing browser cache and resetting it, reset modem and router and a few others things I don’t remember. If I disable Kaspersky, then Firefox works properly. 

Thanks if anyone can help.

Hello @Icarus

Welcome back!

1. Does the machine have the Windows, August 10 patches?
  2. When KAV was uninstalled, did you save License information only, leaving all other check boxes blank
  3. Has KAV been reset to Default
  4. Were the uninstall of KAV & Firefox separated by a full shutdown? 
  5. In Firefox, on any site that has PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR, may we have a full screen image of the issue & screen prints of the certificate General tab & Certification path please? 
  6. Which Firewall is used? 
  7. Have you read the Mozilla articles: PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR ? 

Please let us know? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

1. I don’t recall. I will redo it and let you know. 
  2. Not the I know of.
  3. Yes, both were done separately as I wasn’t sure which was causing the issue. I did a full shutdown and restart between each.
  4. Not sure how to get the screen shots of certificates (where are they?)
  5.  Windows Firewall.
  6. Yes, I’ve read through those and tried a bunch of settings/things mentioned. It’s only Firefox that does it with or without extensions.

Hello @Icarus

Thanks for posting back & the information👌

1. We updated our first reply → would you mind rechecking that please? 
  2. In Firefox browser, on a page that’s generating “PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR”, click on the padlock, in Page info, select View Certificate, there'll be two Certificate pages (you may have to resize the pages & do 4 screen-prints)?  

Please let us know? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello @Icarus

Welcome back!

1. Does the machine have the Windows, August 10 patches?
  2. When KAV was uninstalled, did you save License information only, leaving all other check boxes blank
  3. Has KAV been reset to Default
  4. Were the uninstall of KAV & Firefox separated by a full shutdown? 
  5. In Firefox, on any site that has PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR, may we have a full screen image of the issue & screen prints of the certificate General tab & Certification path please? 
  7. Which Firewall is used? 
  8. Have you read the Mozilla articles: PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR ? 

Please let us know? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

1. What update is that?
  2. Need to check/redo
  3. Not sure, was just uninstalled, full restart and reinstalled so probably not. 
  4. Not that I’m aware of, not sure how.
  5. I don’t see any padlock to get certificate info. 
  6.  ?
  7. Microsoft Firewall.
  8. Yes, no help, tried some things and settings.

Hello @Icarus

Thank you!

1. Select View Certificate, there'll be two Certificate pages (you may have to resize the pages & do 4 screen-prints)?  
  2. At the start you said “then a Windows 10 pro update -21H1 - I think, though I already had 21H2” 
  • Are you sure 21H2 was installed? 

Please let us know? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

1. Sorry I don’t see anything to do with certificates. 
  2. I was running Windows 21H2 but today it said there was an update that looks to be 21H1 (which I think I skipped when it came out.) It now says I’m running 21H1, so don’t know whats up with that…

Edition    Windows 10 Pro

Version    21H1
Installed on    ‎8/‎11/‎2021
OS build    19043.1165
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

• Sorry I don’t see anything to do with certificates. 

1. Also, post the URL that shows when you select Learn more please?
  2. Before the Windows update did you create a Restore point
  3. Are you using Mozilla certificate store or Windows? 
  4. Check Secure traffic control error in the Mozilla Firefox or Thunderbird ?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello @Icarus

1.  Secure connection failed and Firefox did not connect 
  2. From (your) image, did you find the View certificate information & can we please have it? 
  3. In KAV, have you ever changed the Windows certificate store to Mozilla certificate store
  4. Secure traffic control error in the Mozilla Firefox or Thunderbird  → have you done: How to reinstall a certificate for a browser

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Hello @Icarus

You’re most welcome, however, it feels like we’re not making much progress😥

1. Hmm, the link Secure connection failed and Firefox did not connect, is from the URL you posted, we opened it in Firefox. 
  2. 😓
  3. Change to Mozilla certificate store BUT 1. It’s a complicated process. 2. Create a System Restore Point before you do any work. 3. Close Firefox browser before you start the work → if you need to use a browser during the process, use Edge or Chrome. 
  4. AND, confirm for Method 2, you imported the certificate ?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

1. ok
  2. As far as I know it is default. I tried with and without extensions. Reinstalled it as I mentioned.
  3. It does seem complicated, and I’ve been up all day trying to sort this out already. I’ll try that when I get up and let you know. Thanks again!

I switched to the Mozilla certificate store. Still not working. Double checked I did the steps right and it seems I did but not working :(

Also, I checked our computer downstairs and it has Firefox on it too, but it is working fine. But it’s on FF v.89.0.2 and Win10 20H2. I updated it to FF v.91.0 and it works fine...

Hello @Icarus

I switched to the Mozilla certificate store. Still not working. Double checked I did the steps right and it seems I did but not working :(

Also, I checked our computer downstairs and it has Firefox on it too, but it is working fine. But it’s on FF v.89.0.2 and Win10 20H2. I updated it to FF v.91.0 and it works fine...

Hello @Icarus

Thank you for posting back & the information!

Sorry for the delay😥

Please share the outcome with the Community? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋