Older Key compatibility?

Go to solution Solved by Berny,

Hello! I have been using Kaspersky since it was AVP in the late 1990's. On my current computers I have the following older versions in use... Kaspersky Antivirus, Kaspersky Internet Security, and Kaspersky Total Security. I have a new computer running Windows 11 that I want to install Kaspersky on. I have NEW/UNUSED keys that I purchased in 2020 and 2022 that are for the older Kaspersky Total Security, 5 Devices for 1 year. Can I use these keys on any of the current versions of Kaspersky... Standard, Plus, or Premium? Please let me know all you can. Thank you!

@BlackHawk Welcome.

1 hour ago, BlackHawk said:

NEW/UNUSED keys

If no activation limit is stipulated on the box/seal you will be fine.
Please take care to add your activation codes xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx to your My Kaspersky portal

• Like 1

I think there's some confusion. The keys I have are from 2020 and 2022 and are for the old version of Kaspersky Total Security. Can my keys be used with any of the new versions of Kaspersky such as Standard, Plus, or Premium? If so, which one? Thank you!

Thank you! I'm disappointment though because I feel that it should be this way...

Kaspersky Anti-Virus     ->     Kaspersky Standard

Kaspersky Internet Security  ->     Kaspersky Plus

Kaspersky Total Security     ->  Kaspersky Premium

Is there a big difference in protection between the older versions and the newer versions? In my case I would be using the key to go from Kaspersky Total Security (OLD version) to the new Kaspersky Plus version. What do you think? 

@BlackHawk You are welcome.

Personally i always recommend the new product range. The old products are no longer sold and the new Kaspersky products always bring improvements and are fixing some bugs. Also , Kaspersky is continuously  countering the cat-and-mouse game from the cyber-criminals ...

On 6/19/2024 at 10:50 AM, Berny said:

@BlackHawk You are welcome.

Personally i always recommend the new product range. The old products are no longer sold and the new Kaspersky products always bring improvements and are fixing some bugs. Also , Kaspersky is continuously  countering the cat-and-mouse game from the cyber-criminals ...

One thing I detest and refuse to get new line for is you are forced to be online to have protection, I am trying to find Kaspersky Internet Security code, I am on KIS 2021 and for the past many many many years ive just entered the code and boom it was activated, no need to create an account and no need to HAVE to be signed in especially when I have a system that cannot be online all the time.

Currently running with no protection because I misread one listing and ended up with KIS Plus on Amazon and on an "Authorised reseller" on ebay I was sent one for Kaspersky Standard which is the wrong tier for a start and I explicitly asked if this was for the older KIS like what was in the image on the listing before purchasing and was assured it was and kaspersky support wont swap a key over that ive paid for for one that will work with the older KIS.

Edited by CodenameJelly

6 minutes ago, Berny said:

@CodenameJelly

To avoid problems it's not recommend to buy KL licenses on eBay ...

Well they don't do the license for Kaspersky Internet Security on the website so where else am I supposed to go, my PC being on their website is the main reason I never used my account to sign in, I don't want it there and there should be an option to not manage any devices and I shouldn't have to be signed in which needs an internet connection to use AV software.

I assumed old KIS codes would, you know, work with KIS and not force an upgrade to the new stupid software where you need to be online and signed in to use local software that you have paid for, it tells you in the software ui at the bottom how many days left and a page to enter new codes and I understand an initial connection to make sure the code is valid and authorised but after that no internet connection or account should be required.

There should be no external way to control the AV software, this is just stupid imo.

Edited by CodenameJelly

I got a refund for it and got Kaspersky to unlink the code to my account, guess ill have to scout around for one that is like what Kaspersky used to be in terms of activation.

Always online and signed in is a deal breaker especially when website has remote management system which seems backwards for protection software.

12 hours ago, BlackHawk said:

It's my understanding you can use codes meant for older versions on the new versions. Also the old versions are still available for download on the Kaspersky website. I don't know why no one told you this. Look at Still Using Previous Products Plan in the link below...

https://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads#update-product

The old keys convert to the newer software now, they won't work on the old software, you may be able to download updates but license auto upgrades software.

I wanted the old Kaspersky Internet Security before they FORCED you to create an account AND be signed in for it to work, its a joke.

I got a notification about the new software needing a reboot to install so im going to just never restart my computer til I find another AV suite.