KIS temporarly hangs the entire OS for 10~15 minutes when using Intellij with wsl2

This is something that has been happening for a few days already,

When I'm developing on PHPStorm/Goland on WSL2, Windows cannot start new threads in a timely manner.
The processor and memory look normal, and existing threads work well, but it hangs if you try to start a new application or thread, e.g., open a new Chrome browser.

It usually takes 10~15 minutes for the system to recover, and the recovery is slow. 
During the issue, each thread takes ~45 seconds to start.
If I pause the KIS protection, the system fully recovers in ~30 seconds.
Without pausing the KIS protection, the system recovers by itself, but it takes longer, and the thread start time goes down slowly.

WSL2 can run new threads well if I have an already open terminal.

Using Windows 11 22H2
PHPStorm 2023.3.2
GoLand 2023.3.2
KIS 21.3.10.391

Exclusions configured on KIS:
\\wsl.localhost\
%APPDATA%\JetBrains
%LOCALAPPDATA%\JetBrains

Specs:

i7-12700K
ram 96GB
main storage 1tb SSD

I don't know how to debug it further, any tips?

Thanks

Edited by zyhazz

3 minutes ago, zyhazz said:

Windows 11 22H2, PHPStorm 2023.3.2, GoLand 2023.3.2, KIS 21.3.10.391
When I'm developing on PHPStorm/Goland on WSL2, Windows cannot start new threads in a timely manner.
The processor and memory look normal, and existing threads work well, but it hangs if you try to start a new application or thread, e.g., open a new Chrome browser.

It usually takes 10~15 minutes for the system to recover, and the recovery is slow. 
During the issue, each thread takes ~45 seconds to start.
If I pause the KIS protection, the system fully recovers in ~30 seconds.
Without pausing the KIS protection, the system recovers by itself, but it takes longer, and the thread start time goes down slowly.
WSL2 can run new threads well if I have an already open terminal.

Hello @zyhazz

Welcome!

Does the same issue(s) repeat with Kaspersky's *new* software: Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium - info & FAQ? Noting: Kaspersky Plus *replaces* KIS. 

kplus.thumb.png.713a7bec89177c60994a25bb9c38e43c.png

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 
Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Hi @Flood and Flood's wife

Thanks for the response!

I was unaware of these new versions; I am downloading and updating it now.

Just one extra thing: According to the FAQ that you linked, should I download the Standard one, or does the FAQ need to be updated?

image.png.8fcbc00a718542de4510445388b3ccc3.png
Right now I'm installing the standard version.

Thanks

5 hours ago, zyhazz said:
  1. I was unaware of these new versions; I am downloading and updating it now.
  2. Just one extra thing: According to the FAQ that you linked, should I download the Standard one, or does the FAQ need to be updated?
  3. Right now I'm installing the standard version.

Hello @zyhazz 

You are most welcome!

1. Excellent.
  2. Re your observation, the *reason* we put:  "Noting: Kaspersky Plus *replaces* KIS" & added the pretty picture was so *you* would not be *mislead* by an outdated document. 
  3. Why? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 2:50 AM, zyhazz said:

Just one extra thing: According to the FAQ that you linked, should I download the Standard one, or

1. does the FAQ need to be updated?

image.png.8fcbc00a718542de4510445388b3ccc3.png
2. Right now I'm installing the standard version.

Hello @zyhazz

1. *current advice* from Kaspersky HO experts, dated 25th Jan, 2024:

Kaspersky Standard Antivirus, Kaspersky Plus Internet Security, and Kaspersky Premium Total Security are not a mistake, it was done on purpose:

INC000016-2.thumb.png.f978efa747e8aed3720a40f0c5462a57.png

k-old-k-new.thumb.png.f3e185456d1d2847507894d2a0a9873c.png

2. Hopefully, by now, you've installed Kaspersky Plus?

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

I have met this problem too. It occurs when you access `\\wsl$.localhost\` path by the windows program or access `/mnt/[disk]/xxx` by the Linux program, especially under heavy random access load (such as compiling or indexing)

I have found that disabling the `system watcher` in kaspersky will help a lot (the problem still occurs but at a very low frequency)

I have a log file (by kaspersky problem reporting tool ) generated for this problem but it's too large (121MiB) to upload here. If needed, please tell me how to upload it.

Env:  laptop(amd 7940hs + nvme ssd + wsl2), Kaspersky standard (ver 21.17.7.539(b))
Operation: call powershell.exe(with anaconda env automatically activation) under wsl2 path (/home/UserName/ <=> /wsl$.localhost/Arch/home/UserName/)
Note:
1. with `system watcher`, the whole system freezes for more than 2mins, and disabling the `system watcher` will quit the frozen state immediately.
2. bare powershell is ok (comment out the anaconda-related configs). I think maybe it is because the anaconda(windows program) reads things under the current path(Linux path) too much.

Edited by Kuriko Moe
update kaspersky version

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kuriko Moe said:

laptop (amd 7940hs + nvme ssd + wsl2), Kaspersky standard (ver 21.17.7.539(b))

I have met this problem too. It occurs when you access `\\wsl$.localhost\` path by the windows program or access `/mnt/[disk]/xxx` by the Linux program, especially under heavy random access load (such as compiling or indexing)

• I have found that disabling the `system watcher` in kaspersky will help a lot (the problem still occurs but at a very low frequency)

I have a log file (by kaspersky problem reporting tool ) generated for this problem but it's too large (121MiB) to upload here. If needed, please tell me how to upload it.

Hello @Kuriko Moe
Welcome!

1. IF Kaspersky Standard  is *uninstalled* does the issue happen? 
  2. To protect *your* privacy / security Kaspersky has a guideline that applies to *all* users of the Community  - accordingly, *logs & data cannot be shared in the Community*.
  3. Please log a request with Kaspersky Customer Service, https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts  - on the support page, select either Chat or Email, then fill in the template as shown in the image below; please include a *detailed history*.  
  • Re the 121MiB log file generated by Kaspersky's problem reporting tool - include it with the incident you submit -the Kaspersky Customer Service will assist IF required OR - upload it to cloud & share the link with Kaspersky Customer Service; they may *also* request other logs, traces & other data, they will guide you:

image.thumb.png.e6d844335916d67bb772f764ae898e89.png

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
grammar😔

1 hour ago, Flood and Flood&#x27;s wife said:

Hello @Kuriko Moe
Welcome!

1. IF Kaspersky Standard  is *uninstalled* does the issue happen? 
  2. To protect *your* privacy / security Kaspersky has a guideline that applies to *all* users of the Community  - accordingly, *logs & data cannot be shared in the Community*.
  3. Please log a request with Kaspersky Customer Service, https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts  - on the support page, select either Chat or Email, then fill in the template as shown in the image below; please include a *detailed history*.  
  • Re the 121MiB log file generated by Kaspersky's problem reporting tool - include it with the incident you submit -the Kaspersky Customer Service will assist IF required OR - upload it to cloud & share the link with Kaspersky Customer Service; they may *also* request other logs, traces & other data, they will guide you:

image.thumb.png.e6d844335916d67bb772f764ae898e89.png

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Yes, I can confirm, after uninstalling Kaspersky, the powershell.exe started in wsl2 path used 3557ms, compared to 3021ms started in windows path.

before uninstalling Kaspersky, with `system watcher`, the whole system hangs entirely longer than 5min (I have to cold reboot it in the end) - all UI is frozen, the taskmgr.exe is not responding, etc. Without `system watcher`, I remembered that the startup time of powershell.exe is around 3000-4000ms.

I have logged a request with Kaspersky Customer Service. If there is any update, I will also put it here.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good day, We have update from the developers for the issue. 
The performance slowed down due to a lot of synchandlers events which cause errors due to timeouts.
The developers are working on the fix (no ETA yet).
-The temporary workaround advised is to add the 
C:\Program Files\WSL\wsl.exe
C:\Program Files\WSL\wslhost.exe
to exclusions as trusted application: Kaspersky settings > Security settings > Exclusions and actions... > 
-Specify trusted applications > Add the "C:\Program Files\WSL\wslhost.exe" and check options 
"Do not monitor application activity", "Do not monitor child application activity" and "Apply exclusion recursively".
-Repeat these steps for C:\Program Files\WSL\wsl.exe
-Save settings, restart pc and check.

• Like 1