Kaspersky Notifications Taking Focus from other Apps and Freezing them

Hi All. New to the forum. I have recently discovered why my Microsoft Excel has been freezing.  Kaspersky usually informs me when a new device has joined my home network. However in the past the notification usually sat in the bottom right hand corner of my screen and did not affect anything else. But recently the notifications have not being displaying themselves until I minimize all other apps off the desktop. Further more, the app that I was currently working in appears to freeze and is unresponsive until I acknowledge the Kaspersky notification, then and only then does focus return to the App I was working on. My question is, Has anyone else experienced this Kaspesky notification behavior? and if so, were you able to solve the issue?

Thanks everyone.

Kindest regards

D. 

3 hours ago, Davmacrat said:

I have recently discovered why my Microsoft Excel has been freezing.  Kaspersky usually informs me when a new device has joined my home network. However, in the past the notification usually sat in the bottom right-hand corner of my screen and did not affect anything else. But recently the notifications have not been displaying themselves until I minimize all other apps off the desktop. Furthermore, the app that I was currently working in appears to freeze and is unresponsive until I acknowledge the Kaspersky notification, then and only then does focus return to the App I was working on.

Hello @Davmacrat

Welcome!

1. Which Kaspersky software name, version & patch(x), x = letter, is installed, -> on the Windows taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select About?
  2. Which Windows OS, version & build - How to find the version of your operating system
  3. Have all Windows updates been applied with a successful status?
  4. Have any Kaspersky app changes been made? 
  5. Are the notifications all for "new device has joined (your) home network"?, no other notifications? 
  6. Is the affected app only Excel or do any other apps freeze
  7. In the Kaspersky app Reports, are there any events, that match the timeframe, when the notifications appear? IF "yes", please SAVE the Report as a text file, note, we only need a 24hr period, not a week/month/year etc; upload the report to any cloud service of your choice & post the share link please? 

Please post back?

Thank you?
Flood?+?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Flood,

1. The Kaspersky Ver = 21.6.7.351, There is no letter, other than the Kaspersky "K" in the icon

2. Windows 11 Home version 22H2, Build 22621.755

3. Yes, every one.

4. Not by me or anyone I know of.

5. That is correct.

6. Happened with word as well the other day.

7. I'm assuming that the file I should be looking at is the 00000001_events.dat in either the 00 or 25 directory. Both files are empty. Located at C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\KSDE5.8\Report\. The other files in these directories are 00000001_objxx.dat files where xx is 2 letters. there are 3 other files. look like indexes to me.

Lots of weird stuff going on though. Safe money won't let me make a transaction without throwing up an error.  Password manager has also stopped working with lots of websites where I can see the web site address and credentials in password manager. This is happening usually where the username is shown on a different page to the password. Copy and past the credentials it all works, but password manager does not make them available at the login page.

Hi Flood,

Sorry forgot to mention, while trying to sort out this issue, realized that I had forgotten my KLAdmin password. Downloaded the archive for the reset tool and booted to safe mode.  This too threw up an error saying "Product not detected.." Starting to get very frustrated with this software. ?

16 hours ago, Davmacrat said:

1. Kaspersky Ver = 21.6.7.351, There is no letter, other than the Kaspersky "K" in the icon

2. Windows 11 Home version 22H2, Build 22621.755

3. Happened with word as well the other day.

4. I'm assuming that the file I should be looking at is the 00000001_events.dat in either the 00 or 25 directories. Both files are empty. Located at C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\KSDE5.8\Report\. 

5. Lots of weird stuff going on though. Safe money won't let me make a transaction without throwing up an error.  Password manager has also stopped working with lots of websites where I can see the web site address and credentials in password manager. This is happening usually where the username is shown on a different page to the password. Copy and paste the credentials it all works, but password manager does not make them available at the login page.

16 hours ago, Davmacrat said:

6. While trying to sort out this issue, realized that I had forgotten my KLAdmin password. Downloaded the archive for the reset tool and booted to safe mode.  This too threw up an error saying, "Product not detected."

Hello @Davmacrat,  

Thank you for the update & the information!

1. Which Kaspersky software is installed: Kaspersky Standard, Kaspersky Plus, Kaspersky Premium - the name will be shown in the Kaspersky main window & in the Kaspersky Support window
  2. v21.6.7.351 has been replaced by 21.7.7.393(a) - depending on your region, we would've expected the software to have updated?. May we know which region you're in please? 
  3. According to Windows Technical support, W11 Home, v22H2, Build 22621.755 is a Preview release; please check in Windows -> Kaspersky only supports commercially released OS. 
  4. Kaspersky Reports, open the application, select Security, select Reports, review the Report list available on the left-hand side, look for any Reports that may reflect the apps you're reporting issues with, for example Safe Money; & on the right-hand side of the Report window - look for actual events, errors & timeframes, please see this resource: Reports window 
  5. Regarding "Product not detected", go to: Windows Search, type program - Add & remove programs - will show, select that - Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features - will show - in the search field, type Kaspersky - post a screenprint of the result please? 

Please post back?

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife

Hi Flood,

I'm in UK.  The Product I purchased was sold as Kaspersky Security Cloud in March of this year. I have all the sale documentation. The product consists of the Kaspersky Plus, Cloud and Password Manager. This has not attempted to update since I've been using it.

My big problem just now is that I found my admin password on my phone password locker but it is not working so I can do very little until I can solve this issue. This goes back to the issue of the Password reset utility not finding the product and potentially the Windows Preview Version.  I have consequently uninstalled the Preview release. The windows version is now Windows 11 Home version 22H2, Build 22621.674.

Attempted to run the password reset again after uninstalling Preview Update.  Same result.  "Product not detected." Please see the screenshot you requested of "Kaspersky" Search results from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features.

Attempted to gain access to reports. Again run into the admin password that I cannot reset as soon as I press Reports botton.

Again, I cannot do anything without the admin password which I'm sure is correct. 

Any ideas as to next step.

Regards

D.

Screenshot_20221030_225615.png

• Thanks 1

Hello @Davmacrat

Thank you for posting back & the information!

?Follow the steps below carefully, if you get stuck, come back & ask, don't guess or do anything other than what is documented please: 

1. Don't worry about resetting the Admin password, later in the steps we will address the issue - read on: 
  2. Kaspersky Plus is Kaspersky's new generation software, read: Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium - info & FAQ by Danila T., Kaspersky Plus replaces Kaspersky Security Cloud.
  3. Make sure you have the Kaspersky Plus Activation code available -> sign into (your) MyKaspersky account & make sure the Activation code & License information are showing in: https://my.kaspersky.com/MyLicenses
  4. Create a System restore point.
  5. Download Kavremover.
  6. Run the computer in Safe Mode
  7. Run the Kavremover exe.
  8. Read the End User License Agreement. Select Accept to agree to the terms.
  9. Enter the security code from the image. 
  10. Select the Kaspersky application you wish to remove - you'll be selecting Kaspersky 21.6.7.351
  11. Select Remove. 
  12. Wait until you receive a notification that the application was successfully removed.
  13. A popup will show: Remove operation finished, you need to reboot your computer, OK, select OK, then reboot/restart the computer to start in normal mode. 
  14. Post back & let us know the outcome please? 
  15. Download & install Kaspersky Plus version 21.8.5.452:

image.thumb.png.bb8a96ac5874aff375c32d7078b24042.png

If you get stuck at any point, come back to us? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

2 hours ago, Davmacrat said:

App was purchased from online store so no Activation Code shown. Have License Key though. 

OK to proceed or do I still need Activation Code?

Hello @Davmacrat

Thank you for posting back!

You do need the activation code

• In (your) MyKaspersky account, select your email address at the top right-hand side of the screen, next to the Notification ?icon, select Account Settings, select Activation codes, select Send, an email will be sent - check the email for the Kaspersky Plus Activation code

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Hi @Flood and Flood's wife

Right that's done. Kaspersky Plus Ver. 21.8.5.452 installed. Removal process was slightly different in as much that the version was not offered to be selected. Only one selection offered "Basic, Standard, Plus & Premium."

Still asking for Admin password. Profile as seen from Kaspersky App to online account is shown as attached. Separate Free VPN app appears to have disappeared. Please let me know what we need to do next?

Thanks

D.

Screenshot_20221104_004735.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davmacrat said:
  1. Kaspersky Plus Ver. 21.8.5.452 installed.
  2. Removal process was slightly different in as much that the version was not offered to be selected.
  3. Only one selection offered "Basic, Standard, Plus & Premium."
  4. Still asking for Admin password.
  5. Profile as seen from Kaspersky App to online account is shown as attached.
  6. Separate Free VPN app appears to have disappeared.
  7. Please let me know what we need to do next?

Hello @Davmacrat

Thank you for posting back & the information & well done!

1. When KAVREMOVER was run, was the computer in Safe Mode? 
  2. Without putting the computer in Safe Mode *now*, run KAVREMOVER - just the first steps - to grab a screen image for us please - we need to see which software KAVREMOVER is detecting please  *don't run or attempt to run - the removal of the software step*

Please post back the screen image? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

*don't run or attempt to run - the removal of the software step*

50 minutes ago, Davmacrat said:

Oooo Bol**CKS forgot to put it into Safe mode! Sorry.

1. Have I screwed it up?

Hello @Davmacrat

?LOL! Haven't heard that expression for a while!

1. No, not really, but you are going to follow the destructions from now on right? 
  2. Go to Window Task manager, hidden icons & take a screen print - see our image 1 - post back please? 
  3. Go to Windows, Control panel, Programs & features, in the Search field, type in Kaspersky, post a screen print - see our image 2 - post back please? 

image 1

image.thumb.png.0ac21d5df0c217d6ffab25d3a8f63973.png

image 2

image.thumb.png.d2603f55cf9d5410359940b3d6616dfb.png

Thank you?
Flood?+?

8 hours ago, Davmacrat said:

1. Hidden icons: 2. Win 11 Installed apps

Hello @Davmacrat

Thank you for posting back, the images & the information!

No apology necessary, absolutely, it's a learning curve! 

1. Post an image of the Admin password error please? 
2. Without putting the computer in Safe Mode *now* run KAVREMOVER - again just the first steps - select the arrow we've circled red - is there a drop-down list showing any more Kaspersky software - post a screen print please - *don't run or attempt to run - the removal of the software step*

Spoiler

image.png.e64deada924e62193e93632d4349e2d9.png

3. Select the Alert triangle on the Windows shield icon (see image), post an image of the screen that shows please? 

Spoiler

image.png.0150c0c79c6fa6338141979df195a01d.png

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Added: *don't run or attempt to run - the removal of the software step*

1. OK another admission here, I re-ran the KLAPR immediately after initially running kavremvr.exe and installing Kaspersky Plus Ver. 21.8.5.452. This completed successfully and removed the password requirement so now have full access.

2. Image for kavremvr.exe:

3: The Security issue was an old printer driver was preventing memory integrity from being switched on. I have uninstalled this now an am using generic drivers which work just as well.

Screenshot_20221105_130320.png

Screenshot_20221105_133700.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davmacrat said:
  1. I re-ran the KLAPR immediately after initially running kavremvr.exe and installing Kaspersky Plus Ver. 21.8.5.452. This completed successfully and removed the password requirement so now have full access.
  2. Image for kavremvr.exe. 
  3. The Security issue was an old printer driver was preventing memory integrity from being switched on. I have uninstalled this now and am using generic drivers which work just as well.

Hello @Davmacrat

1. Excellent, well done?
  2. How odd, that shows KPM is installed & no other Kaspersky software?
  3. Excellent, well done?
  • Because you've done things slightly out of sequence & because the Installed apps image shows 21.6.7.351 & 21.8. 5.452 were *both* installed, prior to your last post, we're a little concerned, are all the issues you originally reported, resolved? 
  • Do you mind checking & posting the Installed apps again please - does it still show *both* Kaspersky versions? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Thanks! 

1. Right, things have got a bit weird.  KPM has stopped working today.  It recognises when I'm creating a new password on a new site visit, but then won't present it for use on subsequent visits. this is true for new and existing entries.  Where required, the protected browser starts, but then only the secure keyboard is offered.  this has only been tested on local machine.  I'm logged into account for syncing and master pw has been accepted.

2. The installed Apps list still indicates that both are installed. See Attached

Getting the feeling that I would be better uninstalling everything K and start again. Any views on this?

Kindest regards

D. 

Screenshot_20221106_015841.png

1. 1. Right, things have got a bit weird.  KPM has stopped working today.  It recognises when I'm creating a new password on a new site visit, but then won't present it for use on subsequent visits. this is true for new and existing entries. 
  2. Where required, the protected browser starts, but then only the secure keyboard is offered. 
  3. this has only been tested on local machine. 
  4. I'm logged into account for syncing and master pw has been accepted.
  5. The installed Apps list still indicates that both are installed.

Hello @Davmacrat

Thank you for the update & so sorry for the delay?

Before we proceed, please clarify some information, so we understand exactly what you are referring to & what we are working with:

Re 3. "this has only been tested on local machine."; how many machines are you working with & specifically what OS, build - are they, refer: How to find which Windows version & build? & moving forward trying to sort this out; is Kaspersky software installed on all machines? 

Please post back?

Thank you?
Flood?+?

added resource: refer: How to find which Windows version & build?

I was reading through the help pages trying to understand all the different reasons why this might be happening to address any questions that you may have before asking them. The software is only installed on my laptop and my mobile phone. It appears that all I have done is confuse the situation. Weirdly enough the KPM has started working again this morning despite several restarts yesterday. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. The mobile phone is an iPhone SE running IOS 15.7

41 minutes ago, Davmacrat said:

I was reading through the help pages trying to understand all the different reasons why this might be happening to address any questions that you may have before asking them. The software is only installed on my laptop and my mobile phone. It appears that all I have done is confuse the situation. Weirdly enough the KPM has started working again this morning despite several restarts yesterday. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. The mobile phone is an iPhone SE running IOS 15.7

OK just to prove me wrong! KPM worked once and has stopped again. Got rid of a random password entry and logged into website manually. KPM now does not ask if I want to save the password. Not sure what's happening here. Nothing else has been touched. So just awaiting your reply to move forward with the issue of two versions of Kaspersky App, this has only started since 21.8.5.452 was installed. It is likely that if we fix this issue, then the KPM issue will also disappear. Thoughts?

The software is only installed on my laptop and my mobile phone. Weirdly enough the KPM has started working again this morning despite several restarts yesterday. The mobile phone is an iPhone SE running IOS 15.7

4 hours ago, Davmacrat said:

OK just to prove me wrong! KPM worked once and has stopped again. Got rid of a random password entry and logged into website manually. KPM now does not ask if I want to save the password. So just awaiting your reply to move forward with the issue of two versions of Kaspersky App.

Hello @Davmacrat

Thank you for the update & the iOS information! 

For the time being let's not worry about the iOS; first, IF the computer *really* does have two AV installed, which is what the Windows Installed apps indicates, we need to fix that, we agree with you, remove *all* Kaspersky software & start again, but - follow the steps below & follow them exactly please:

1. On the laptop, sign into KPM vault, select Additional, select Settings, select Import/Export, go to Backup copy section, select Copy - this will create an encrypted backup of the KPM vault. 
  2. Create a System restore point.
  3. From Windows Installed apps - uninstall Kaspersky 21.6.7.351 - during the uninstall, there will be a prompt to save information, select *Save License* only - do not check any other check box, at the end of the uninstall, make sure the computer is REBOOTED. 
  4. Sing back in, or if you're already signed in, go back to Windows Installed apps - uninstall Kaspersky 21.8.5.452 during the uninstall, there will be a prompt to save information, select *Save License* only - do not check any other check box, at the end of the uninstall, make sure the computer is REBOOTED. 
  5. Sign back in, or if you're already signed in, go back to Windows Installed apps - uninstall Kaspersky VPNduring the uninstall, there will be a prompt to save information, select *Save License* only - do not check any other check box, at the end of the uninstall, make sure the computer is REBOOTED. 
  6. Sign back in, or if you're already signed in, go back to Windows Installed apps - uninstall Kaspersky PMduring the uninstall, there will be a prompt to save information, select *Save License* only - do not check any other check box, at the end of the uninstall, make sure the computer is REBOOTED. 
  7. At this point, all Kaspersky software should be removed, shutdown the computer, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on by pressing the power button, login, go to Windows Installed apps - search Kaspersky, take a screen print & post back please? 

IF you get stuck, please ask, please don't do anything other than what is written above. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Have got up to step 3. The uninstall of 21.6.7.351 is showing as installed in the Windows Installed Apps, but the uninstaller can't find it. See attached.

Have stopped here. I would suggest I carry on regardless as per your procedure. Then do a system cleanup with Advanced System Care, then run a DISM and sfc /scannow. I would hope after all of that the Installed Apps should have no Kaspersky entries.

Kindest regards

D.

Screenshot_20221106_235507.png

5 minutes ago, Davmacrat said:

Have got up to step 3. The uninstall of 21.6.7.351 is showing as installed in the Windows Installed Apps, but the uninstaller can't find it.

Have stopped here. I would suggest I carry on regardless as per your procedure. Then do a system cleanup with Advanced System Care, then run a DISM and sfc /scannow. I would hope after all of that the Installed Apps should have no Kaspersky entries.

Hello @Davmacrat

Thank you for the update & the information!

• ?Please do not run Advanced System Care atm, from this point forward, please do the following - assuming System restore point & KPM backup are already done:
  1.  Windows Installed apps - uninstall Kaspersky 21.8.5.452  during the uninstall, there will be a prompt to save information, select *Save License* only - do not check any other check box, at the end of the uninstall, make sure the computer is REBOOTED. 
  2. Sign back in, or if you're already signed in, go back to Windows Installed apps - uninstall Kaspersky VPNduring the uninstall, there will be a prompt to save information, select *Save License* only - do not check any other check box, at the end of the uninstall, make sure the computer is REBOOTED. 
  3. Sign back in, or if you're already signed in, go back to Windows Installed apps - uninstall Kaspersky PMduring the uninstall, there will be a prompt to save information, select *Save License* only - do not check any other check box, at the end of the uninstall, make sure the computer is REBOOTED. 
  4. At this point, all Kaspersky software should be removed, shutdown the computer, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on by pressing the power button, login, go to Windows Installed apps - search Kaspersky, take a screen print & post back please? 
  5. As ADMIN run sfc /scannow - post the result?
  • The sfc /scannow result will determine the following steps - stop! Do not proceed please! 

Thank you?
Flood?+?