Kaspersky Free 21.14.5.462 - Blocks internet access for browsers routed through Proton VPN tunnel

Thoughts
Go to solution Solved by Thoughts,

Windows 10 21H2

Kaspersky Free 21.14.5.462

Proton Windows VPN app 3.1.0 & 3.1.1 both tested

No third-party firewall used

After Kaspersky Free auto updated to 21.14.5.462, all browsers and apps routed through the Proton VPN app, when operating in split tunnel mode, are blocked from connecting to the internet. Only by shutting down Kaspersky or switching off split tunnel mode will internet access work.

The issue occurred directly after Kaspersky Free updated from 21.3.5.506 to 21.14.5.462. No other changes had taken place. If I stop Kaspersky Free, from starting with Windows and reboot, Proton VPN operation, in split tunnel mode, is restored.

I have also reported this directly to Proton, although it appears to be the Kaspersky software causing the issue. Only apps routing through the VPN are affected, any browser outside the VPN tunnel works as normal.

Kaspersky Free 21.3.5.506 did not have this issue. Browsers and apps, both inside and outside the Proton VPN tunnel, would all operate correctly in split tunnel mode.

Let me know if I can provide any further information. Thank you.

• Like 2

Thank you for replying. Issue still the same, I'm afraid.

Completely uninstalled Kaspersky Free 21.14.5.462, rebooted twice, downloaded and reinstalled Kaspersky Free 21.14.5.462. After installation and activation, I rebooted again, then rechecked.

The issue is the same as in my previous post. If Kaspersky Free is prevented from starting with Windows, and I reboot, all browsers and apps routed through the Proton VPN can connect. The moment Kaspersky Free runs, it blocks internet access for any browser or app routed through the Proton VPN, while in split tunnel mode. 

Let me know if I can provide any more information. Thank you once again.

Edited by Thoughts

Hello Harlan

Thank you for replying. I don't have Kaspersky VPN installed, and as it's Kaspersky Free, direct support is not available. Kaspersky Standard, Plus etc. are likely to share the same issue, so hopefully someone might report it that way.

But thank you for trying. I'll simply uninstall Kaspersky for the moment.

Hello,

same problem here, just different VPN provider (NordVPN). Connection to the internet works only if split tunnelling is disabled. Kaspersky VPN is not installed, never was.

Uninstall/reinstall Kaspersky does not help.

Happens since upgrade to free version 21.14.5.462. I can confirm it happens with commercial version as well, in the same exact terms; a friend reported me. He uninstalled the product for now, and did not get in touch with support (he has a really strict schedule...)

I'm pretty sure sooner or later other users of commercial version and VPN with split tunnelling enabled will face the same problem.

Thanks

Ciao

Hi Fabri

Thank you for adding further confirmation of the issue. It does appear to be a 21.14.5.462 platform issue, rather than specific to Kaspersky Free.

Before uninstalling Kaspersky, I quickly tested Windscribe VPN, and that worked in split tunnel mode, so I can only assume NordVPN and Proton VPN employ split tunnel similarly.

While understandable, it's a shame the software force updates, preventing simply installing an older version.

Hopefully, as you say, it will get reported by a Kaspersky Standard, Plus etc., customer.

• Like 1

Same here. I contacted Proton VPN support as I thought the problem was on their end since I recall having this issue before I got hacked and installed Kaspersky back in July this year. Now I can confirm the issue is Kaspersky's recent update because if I completely exit the app, the split tunneling works normally. There is no need to reboot to get Proton VPN working after completely shutting off Kaspersky.

On 9/1/2023 at 7:17 AM, Thoughts said:

Hopefully, as you say, it will get reported by a Kaspersky Standard, Plus etc., customer.

Amen to that!

On 9/1/2023 at 7:17 AM, Thoughts said:

While understandable, it's a shame the software force updates, preventing simply installing an older version.

I Googled the previous version number you mentioned and found it, so thank you for the info (I couldn't figure out where to check the version number, anyway). After uninstalling the current version, I was able to install the previous one without issues. Split tunneling is working normally again. Fingers crossed Kaspersky won't update itself without warning.

I wanted to let you know I could do this, in case you might want to give it a shot while hopefully Kaspersky fixes this issue. 

Screenshot 2023-09-04 013959.png

Hello SunshineLucy

Thank you for the thought.

You can, as you've found, install the previous version of Kaspersky Free, but it will force update back to 21.14.5.462 at some point.

It might not happen immediately, but you can't stop it, and version updates are delivered much like signature updates, it won't be until it's already been installed, that you'll know of the change.

Edited by Thoughts
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Thoughts said:

You can, as you've found, install the previous version of Kaspersky Free, but it will force update back to 21.14.5.462 at some point.

I found this while searching on how to stop the update from being forced on me. I already contacted the post's author directly because the post is a bit old and it involves some registry editing. 

Regards,

Hello SunShineLucy

Thank you for the information. I've installed an older version, Kaspersky Free 21.13.5.506, and applied the registry modification, so will see whether it holds on that version.

Given the beta test reported in the Kaspersky Standard, Plus, Premium forum, hopefully it won't be too long before a final modified version is made available.

Thank you again.

Edited by Thoughts

Try installing an older version of the software, it helped me. And as for this problem, I think it relates directly to the VPN provider, although I'm not entirely sure. I do know that installing an older version and upgrading to a newer one, gets around this situation. 

11 minutes ago, LoadError said:

installing an older version and upgrading to a newer one, gets around this situation. 

Hello!

Which VPN provider do you have? Mine is Proton and I know for sure the split tunneling function did work correctly before Kaspersky's last update. 

Edited by SunShineLucy

Hello SunShineLucy

Install the older version of Kaspersky you want to use. Confirm it's earlier than 21.14.5.462.

After installation, and activation, open app, go to Security, Settings, Self-Defense and untick enable Self-Defense, then save. Disconnect internet just for the moment.

In Windows, open Regedit

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KasperskyLab\AVP21? (whichever version you have installed). Expand folder, then click on and open environment folder. In the environment folder, right-click the window and select New, String Value. Enter IsVersionUpdateEnabled as string value name, then enter the value of 0. Check the string value appears in the window, then close.

Reconnect internet. Open Kaspersky, go to Security, Settings, Self-Defense, tick enable Self-Defense, then save. Operation and database updates are unaffected, but the application should remain on the version you start with.

To later allow Kaspersky to update to a newer software version, disable Self-Defense as before. Open Regedit, go to the same environment folder and delete the IsVersionUpdateEnabled string value you previously created.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hello SunShineLucy

In the final paragraph, I forgot to add, re-enable Self-Defense in Kaspersky after deleting the String value.

FYI - Regedit is also known as Registry Editor in Windows programs list.

If you're in any way unsure about editing the registry, far safer to just not touch it, and wait for Kaspersky to announce an update fix to their software.

Edited by Thoughts
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Thoughts said:

FYI - Regedit is also known as Registry Editor in Windows programs list.

If you're in any way unsure about editing the registry, far safer to just not touch it, and wait for Kaspersky to announce an update fix to their software.

Yes, I'm familiar with it. I am also a good step-by-step follower. Thank you for your kind assistance. I'll let you know how it all goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Just general information. It is now no longer possible to install any version of Kaspersky Free (and also Standard, Plus and Premium), than 21.14.5.462, as the installer now automatically downloads that version.

If you're currently running 21.13.5, or older, the registry change I mentioned earlier will still block the update, but it's no longer possible to install anything other than 21.14.5.462.

I reinstalled Windows, and found, regardless which Kaspersky Free installation file I used, it always downloaded 21.14.5.462. I installed Security Cloud Free in the end. Hopefully version 21.15, that's been mentioned as the solution, will be released soon.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2023 at 1:36 PM, Thoughts said:

I can confirm Kaspersky Free 21.15.8.493 is now available for download, and when tested with Proton VPN, in split tunnel mode, internet access was available for both browsers inside and outside the VPN tunnel.

Thanks again for your time and care.

Best regards,