Folders To Exclude For Reboot To Restore Software

Go to solution Solved by Schulte,

Hello, I'm using Kaspersky Premium alongside Shadow Defender which is a reboot to restore security solution.  Basically any changes made to my C drive are deleted when I reboot.  You can exclude folders in Shadow Defender so changes made to those folders will not be deleted when I reboot, and I would like to exclude all the folders that Kaspersky uses on C so as Kaspersky can work as intended without me having to turn Shadow Defender off, then update Kaspersky and then turn Shadow Defender back on. 

I've tried excluding the following folders which includes any sub folders but Kaspersky doesn't remain up to date.  For example I can update the databases manually, but then I reboot and it's as if I didn't update the databases.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Kaspersky Lab\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AV
C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab Setup Files
C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab

If there are any more folders on C that Kaspersky uses that I should exclude so as Kaspersky works as intended alongside Shadow Defender I would really appreciate it if someone could let me know.

Thank You

Sid 

• Solution

Hello @Sid Cannon, Welcome.

I suspect that your project is not quite trivial.

Besides the directories you listed, there are other things to consider.
For example, updates are also noted in the registry. So this should not be reset.

Then there are Kaspersky drivers, which are located in 'C:\Windows\System32\drivers', for example. From time to time, these are also patched via updates and would no longer be up to date after a reset. This could even lead to malfunctions or BSODs.

I like your idea, but I have doubts if it can work.

• Like 3

I've set the databases to update on application startup after 1 minute, so one minute after Windows loads it updates the databases.  So I only need to disable Shadow Defender when there's an application update, which doesn't happen that often.  I'll probably disable Shadow Defender once a week and then the databases don't get too far behind.

Not what I wanted ideally, but not bad at all, I can definitely live with that.

Sid

• Like 2