Does accepting the KSN statement on Android enhance the protection?

Hello,

Kaspersky Security Network feature is buried deep within the app menu on android; it's under Profile - > About - > Legal - > KSN Statement. 

So I was wondering if accepting this statement had any effect on the level of protection of an Android device? 

If it was indeed a crucial element of the security feature, it certainly wouldn't have been so inconspicuous? 

Screenshot_20240814_015027_Kaspersky.thumb.png.6a3bee85b52f6df8dc7f5d7cd82c318d.png

29 minutes ago, espresso said:

Kaspersky Security Network feature is buried deep within the app menu on android; it's under Profile - > About - > Legal - > KSN Statement. 

So I was wondering if accepting this statement had any effect on the level of protection of an Android device? 

If it was indeed a crucial element of the security feature, it certainly wouldn't have been so inconspicuous? 

Hello @espresso

Welcome back!

Never *assume* - in product design - where Kaspersky have placed something has any relevance to the priority of it's function. 

While KSN is not mandatory the use of it enhances protection. 

KSN for Android  - in Online Help - is not even documented - from KSN/WINDOWS

Kaspersky application uses cloud protection to make protection of your device more effective. Cloud protection is implemented using the Kaspersky Security Network infrastructure that uses data received from users all over the world.

Kaspersky Security Network (KSN) is the cloud-based knowledge base of Kaspersky containing information about the reputation of applications and websites. The use of data from Kaspersky Security Network ensures faster responses by Kaspersky application to new threats, improves the performance of some protection components, and reduces the likelihood of false positives.

Users' participation in Kaspersky Security Network allows Kaspersky to promptly receive information about types and sources of new threats, develop solutions for neutralizing them, and minimize the number of false positives. Participation in Kaspersky Security Network lets you access reputation statistics for applications and websites.

If you participate in Kaspersky Security Network, you automatically send information about the configuration of your operating system and the start and completion time of processes in Kaspersky application to Kaspersky.

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

• Like 3

OK, so it is stupid question time for this three-month user.  I have Kaspersky Premium (Version 21.18.5.438(A) (5 device limit): two Windows 11 computers protected and two Samsung phones (an older S7 Galaxy as a backup and an S21).  After reading the above post, I went to the indicated KSN statement on my S21, but I was not asked to accept it.

I checked my primary desktop, and I have turned on KSN there.

Am I correct in assuming that all four devices are protected by KSN because I turned that on via my desktop computer?

I can find nowhere in the Mobile Version to determine if KSN is active on my S21.

I read the help page: https://support.kaspersky.com/help/Kaspersky/Win21.18/en-US/70882.htm

Perhaps I missed it, but it does not explicitly state that all devices activated under a licence are using KSN if it is enabled.  It seems to imply that, but there is no such direct statement.

The post by @Flood and Flood's wife seems to imply my assumption is correct . . .

I was always taught that there were no "stupid questions" in the quest for knowledge, just stupid people who remain in ignorance.

I am always eager to learn new tricks.  Thank you, and have a great day.

Have a great day.

Regards,
Phil

• Like 1

@nexon,

Thank you for your reply. I installed Kaspersky Mobile on my Samsung phones in early May.  I don't remember the details of the installations, but I usually accept most security recommendations during installations.

I am still unable to ascertain from Kaspersky Mobile whether KSN is on or off.  I may be missing something. 🤷‍♂️

Would you be able to point me to where I can go to find out?

Thank you, and have a great day.

By the way, what is the time limit between submitting posts on this forum or is that privileged information?  Can you tell me if the limit is ever reduced or eliminated via post count or membership time?  I recognize this is an antispam measure.

Regards,
Phil

@garioch7 each installation asking for it... On mobile or pc each installation each device...

Go to Kaspersky app and profile scroll down information... Then select 2nd option don't know exact legal information is it... Then 4th Kaspersky security network... Accept to turn on... 

@nexon,

41 minutes ago, garioch7 said:

After reading the above post, I went to the indicated KSN statement on my S21, but I was not asked to accept it.

Thank you for your reply.

I did that.  I was not prompted to accept the KSN statement. I scrolled all the way to the bottom.

I can find nowhere to turn KSN on or off on my mobile device or how to determine whether it is on or off.

I guess if you accept KSN during the installation on a mobile device, then you can never turn it off on that mobile unless you remove and reinstall it, whereas you can on a Windows computer . . .

Have a great day.

Regards,
Phil

KSN_Windows.png

1 minute ago, garioch7 said:

I can find nowhere to turn KSN on or off on my mobile device or how to determine whether it is on or off.

I guess if you accept KSN during the installation on a mobile device, then you can never turn it off on that mobile unless you remove and reinstall it, whereas you can on a Windows computer . . .

See my previous reply... There is exact way where is ksn on mobile... 

Also each installation is prompted each... To enable or disable ksn and marketing purposes... Each means each beta version also. Installing many times so... 

@nexon

Thank you for your reply.

13 minutes ago, garioch7 said:

The question remains unanswered.  Perhaps someone else might be able to enlighten me.

Thank you.  Have a great day.

Regards,
Phil

This question also remains unanswered.

34 minutes ago, garioch7 said:

By the way, what is the time limit between submitting posts on this forum or is that privileged information?  Can you tell me if the limit is ever reduced or eliminated via post count or membership time?  I recognize this is an antispam measure.

If anyone can respond, I would appreciate it.  I would like to learn how things work here.

Thank you, and have a great day.

Regards,
Phil

@nexon,

No, I am not joking.  That is offensive.

I run the English version of Kaspersky Premium, Version 11.115.4.12198, on my Samsung Galaxy S21 (update and scan done this morning).  No such button appears on my version.  Samsung Galaxy S21 is running Android 14, security patch level: 2024-07-01.

I don't like your tone.  Perhaps someone else can help me.  All I am seeking is answers to my questions.

I have ABSOLUTELY no desire to offend you or anyone else here on these Forums.  If I have inadvertently offended you, I apologize.

Have a great day.

Regards,
Phil

@garioch7 I wrote exact way where you can find ksn on mobile.

It seems you are trolling... Nothing offensive from me.. And also don't like your tone or whatever is offtopic... I don't like many stuff and? 

So please once again for the 3rd time check my previous reply where I wrote where you can find ksn settings... 

If you really don't know post screenshots of app and I will navigate you.. 

@nexon,

Now, you are starting to annoy me.  I most certainly am NOT a "troll."

I have NOT insulted you.

15 minutes ago, nexon said:

It seems you are trolling... Nothing offensive from me.. And also don't like your tone or whatever is offtopic... I don't like many stuff and? 

I don't have "Information".  In my version, it is "About" that takes you to Legal Information and then the KSN Statement.

17 minutes ago, nexon said:

If you really don't know post screenshots of app and I will navigate you.. 

You are joking, right?  I have already posted a screenshot in this topic: https://forum.kaspersky.com/topic/does-accepting-the-ksn-statement-on-android-enhance-the-protection-49801/?do=findComment&comment=183440

I know how to take screenshots on my computer and on my phone.  I know how to post them.  There is no button, period.

May I politely and respectfully ask you to abandon this topic?  You are not answering my legitimate questions.  May I also remind you of the Forums Guidelines, specifically:

• Unethical behavior (obscenity, rudeness, or insults directed at other participants or at the company).

I am signing off for the day in the hope that someone will be willing and able to answer my questions.

I do appreciate your initial efforts to help me, but it seems to me that you have some conflict with me, of which I am unaware.

Have a great day.  Signing off.

Regards,
Phil

@garioch7 My god, 🤣🤣 you are going on your wave still and still.. 

You posted screenshot from pc and we are talking about phone 📱

Can you post screenshot in your phone where you wrote that you don't have information on your phone? 😁 

Edit : you was warned by mods many times.. Respect other members and if you dont know something this is no problem we are here to help. But you are proud and and you don't want to get advice... I was trying help you 2 times and... You know.. 

Edited by nexon

@Flood and Flood's wife Thanks for the answer. 

The lack of documentation for KSN on Android led me to this question.

On Windows, KSN is clearly a part of security settings but on Android this feature could only be collecting information without any protection benefits as far as we know. The legal statement on Android mentions "computer" which seems to be copy-pasted statement from KSN on PC.

I'd be interested to know whether KSN on Android really "increases efficiency of software components", "improves performance" and "reduces likelihood of false positives". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, espresso said:

On Windows, KSN is clearly a part of security settings but on Android this feature could only be collecting information without any protection benefits as far as we know. The legal statement on Android mentions "computer" which seems to be copy-pasted statement from KSN on PC.

1. I'd be interested to know whether KSN on Android really "increases efficiency of software components", "improves performance" and "reduces likelihood of false positives". 

Hello @espresso

You're most welcome!

Thank you for posting back & the additional question!

(IOO) For Android?

• Efficiency - unlikely. 
  • Performance - unlikely. 
  • Potentially reduces FPs, likely. 

Re Documentation & as FYI, the current Version 11.115.4.12198 (from *Galaxy* Store*) is using a KSN Statement dated 2022, & has no Turn OFF option:

Kaspersky is aware of the issue

image.thumb.png.da04fcaaa8596819cf1126c9b94430b9.png

*Previous version, 11.113 (from Google Play Store). Not dated, has option*

image.thumb.png.1b43da4fe71b926d27cd2e4856b46723.png

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Added image
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate you taking the time to tackle this topic. I'm interested to learn more about the products, I've been using Kaspersky exclusively for 20 years now 🙂

But after seeing the same copy pasted KSN statement in the standalone Kaspersky VPN app (also under "Legal" menu), I'm beginning to think that these have no true benefits for the user on mobile apps at this moment. 

I will continue to use KSN on my Windows machines though, as there are proven benefits.

• Thanks 1

@espresso I would turn on KSN on Kaspersky mobile Antivirus (for better and quick detection) and also for windows pc..

Simply with ksn enabled there is much more increased detection of viruses. I mean much more samples etc.... Because cloud. 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2024 at 10:39 PM, nexon said:

@espresso I would turn on KSN on Kaspersky mobile Antivirus (for better and quick detection) and also for windows pc..

Simply with ksn enabled there is much more increased detection of viruses. I mean much more samples etc.... Because cloud. 

...also the reduction of FP detection.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2024 at 10:11 AM, espresso said:

I'd be interested to know whether KSN on Android really "increases efficiency of software components", "improves performance" and "reduces likelihood of false positives". 

On 8/16/2024 at 6:33 AM, espresso said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate you taking the time to tackle this topic. I'm interested to learn more about the products, I've been using Kaspersky exclusively for 20 years now 🙂

But after seeing the same copy pasted KSN statement in the standalone Kaspersky VPN app (also under "Legal" menu), I'm beginning to think that these have no true benefits for the user on mobile apps at this moment. 

I will continue to use KSN on my Windows machines though, as there are proven benefits.

Hello @espresso

You're most welcome!

1. First, we need to correct information we provided previously -. the KSN statement date in both Google Play Store & Samsung Store is 2022
  2. (ioo) Kaspersky could make the KSN (WindowsParticipating in Kaspersky Security Network statement platform generic, they don't run separate KSNs for Android, mac & iOS. 
  3. According to HQ, the reason there's no Turn OFF option is that option is only available IF the subscriber is in: EU, the UK, Brazil, and Vietnam, or California - HQ provided this resource: About use of the app in the EU, the UK, Brazil, and Vietnam, or by California residents, for all other subscribers, HQ provided: About data provision (other regions) - however -> we're not in any of those regions & in Google Play Store - we do have the Turn OFF option, in Samsung Galaxy Store we do not have the Turn OFF option, furthermore, in GPS, the KSN statement has a link to Kaspersky's Privacy Policy (image 1), in Samsung Galaxy Store, KSN has BigQuery, Firebase, AppsFlyer & Huawei Privacy policy links & no Kaspersky Privacy policy link (images 2, 3, 4 & 5). 

image.thumb.jpeg.1ac818d3f54d21b29cc2ea4ab47fd8f5.jpeg    image.thumb.jpeg.e5af9034bd4ca1994848eebab5520317.jpeg  

image.thumb.jpeg.7dec2fbc4728a952a9c2625e72bc73b0.jpeg  image.thumb.jpeg.d58ec812f8359c6bcee05ab55b887b23.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.490244698096b82a804d2d95cf93215f.jpeg

• (it's possible) the apk distributed on the website has a different KSN, we have not checked? 
  • Incident has been returned to HQ, we'll update when & if information becomes available. 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
reformatted images
  • Like 2

On 8/16/2024 at 6:33 AM, espresso said:

Hello @espresso

Another Kaspersky update:

"I suppose, it is the bug and we need more details to analyze this issue."

Data has been provided, issue is in hand with Kaspersky. 

We'll update when & if information becomes available. 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

• Like 2