Device time limit resets after computer restart.

DanielMk

I'm using free version of Kaspersky Safe Kids V1.05.4096 (b) on Win7 SP1. I've noticed that device usage time resets after restart of the computer, making this feature useless. After every restart of the computer, KSK pops up a window which states that the whole allocated time for that day is available for use. i.e. the software "forgets" that the computer was previously used on the same day. I cannot find a setting related to this issue, so guess is some unintended behavior or bug. Any solution for this?

I'm using free version of Kaspersky Safe Kids V1.05.4096 (b) on Win7 SP1. I've noticed that device usage time resets after restart of the computer, making this feature useless. After every restart of the computer, KSK pops up a window which states that the whole allocated time for that day is available for use. i.e. the software "forgets" that the computer was previously used on the same day. I cannot find a setting related to this issue, so guess is some unintended behavior or bug. Any solution for this?
Hello DanielMk Welcome!
  1. Please replicate the issue and take screen prints?
  2. Also, go to MyKaspersky portal, KSK, take a screen print of the time limits you've configured please?
  3. I'll test the issue based on the data I receive from you.
  4. Also do you use a KSK "Age" template as well? IF "yes", please let me know the age group?
  5. There is a documented advisory, "AFTER KSK update KSK resets its calculation of the time your child spends using applications and the computer. The day's previous time statistics are deleted. If you have set application or computer use time limits, your child may use applications and the computer longer than these time limits on the day of an update. Application and computer use statistics are incorrect for the day of an update." , however, the issue you're reporting should not be happening if the PC is just being shutdown & restarted:thinking:
Please post back? Thank you:pray_tone3:

Thanks for your answer.
  1. This are the settings on KSK portal for device use. You can see that saturday is limited to 5hrs 15 min.
This is the KSK window after about one hour of usage, reporting that there is about 4:16 left. Screenshot taken at 14:11 . So far so good. After this i restarted the computer. This is the screenshot taken three minutes later at 14:14, just after restart. The time left is reset back to 5 hrs 15 minutes. Time resets after every reboot. Those are the setting from the app (view schedule link) and you can see that they match the setting from KSK web panel. -4. About age profile settings, the option 'The age restrictions based on public age-appropriate ratings:Turned on' if turned on, if this is the option you are asking for, Kids age is 11 yrs. -5. This behavior repeats every day for a while, so resetting data on the update day is not an issue. Thanks.

Thanks for your answer.
  1. These are KSK portal settings for device use Saturday is limited to 5hrs 15 min.
This is KSK gui after about one hour of usage, reporting that there is about 4:16 left. Screenshot taken at 14:11 . So far so good. After this i restarted the computer. This is the screenshot taken three minutes later at 14:14, just after restart. The time left is reset back to 5 hrs 15 minutes. Time resets after every reboot. Those are the setting from the app (view schedule link) and you can see that they match the setting from KSK web panel. -4. About age profile settings, the option 'The age restrictions based on public age-appropriate ratings:Turned on' if turned on, if this is the option you are asking for, Kids age is 11 yrs. -5. This behavior repeats every day for a while, so resetting data on the update day is not an issue.
Hello DanielMk, Thank you for replying, the answers and the images, excellent work:clap_tone3: 1⃣When did KSK update to 1.05.4096 (b) ? 2⃣Has the issue always existed? IF "yes" when was KSK installed? IF "no", please let me know the time frame? 3⃣Please download KSK report, the default is .csv, please upload to cloud, PM the link please? In the meantime, I'll test and see if I can replicate the issue. Please post back? Thank you:pray_tone3:

Hello FLOOD, thanks for your prompt reply. The update was several weeks ago, can't remember exactly. I've got notification that there is update available and did the update. Don't remember if i downloaded the app form the web and installed or the app updated itself. Sorry i can't help on this. Also I cannot confirm if this issue started after updating the app, but it is likely. I've noticed few weeks ago that the computer is on longer than it should, but didn't pay much attention, because of the summer holiday :) I'll send the summary on PM Thx.

Hello FLOOD, thanks for your prompt reply. The update was several weeks ago, can't remember exactly. I've got notification that there is update available and did the update. Don't remember if i downloaded the app form the web and installed or the app updated itself. Sorry i can't help on this. Also I cannot confirm if this issue started after updating the app, but it is likely. I've noticed few weeks ago that the computer is on longer than it should, but didn't pay much attention, because of the summer holiday :) I'll send the summary on PM Thx.
Hello DanielMk, You're welcome and happy h:cartwheel_tone2:olidays. I'll update you later this evening.

FLOOD Report sent, Here is a screenshot from summary panel where can be seen that computer was used for 7 hours, besides the 5 hour limit.
Hello DanielMk Thank you for the report. Even tho it's not documented or maybe I should say "poorly" documented (imo) KSK web interface "Device Use" does not reflect the time the child has actually spent using the device, rather, it seems to be a stat collected from the cumulative time the device has been "on". Looking at one of my children's devices 248 / 30 = 8.5 hrs daily, (if I read that as the time the child has used the device) absolutely impossible, bc, 5 days a week, 12 hours a day, child is 20kms away from device... Your thoughts? Let me know? Thanks

Hi FLOOD That may be the case with the mobile device, since it can be harder to differentiate for the program if the device is on because the user turn it on or if another process is waking it and keeps it alive. On the desktop/windows version, KSK is service and it starts immediately with windows, so it actually counts the time of the system running, regardless if anyone is using it. So the computer can be powered on, and even if no one is using it, after designated time it will lock it down with message that time run out. I believe that the counter I've posted is correct and shows the total time today the computer was on. But whatever the case is, it has nothing with this situation when the timer just resets with the restart of the computer. It should continue running like it was before. Thx for your efforts, Take care

Hi FLOOD That may be the case with the mobile device, since it can be harder to differentiate for the program if the device is on because the user turn it on or if another process is waking it and keeps it alive. On the desktop/windows version, KSK is service and it starts immediately with windows, so it actually counts the time of the system running, regardless if anyone is using it. So the computer can be powered on, and even if no one is using it, after designated time it will lock it down with message that time run out. I believe that the counter I've posted is correct and shows the total time today the computer was on. But whatever the case is, it has nothing with this situation when the timer just resets with the restart of the computer. It should continue running like it was before. Thx for your efforts, Take care
Hello DanielMk, I understand, my previous post was an observation, not an answer to your dilemma, I'm still working on that. Also, the mobile visual was chosen because it's showing a significant total of hours, both PC visuals are < 100hrs, I'll only post visuals that match your criteria in my following post:slight_smile: Best regards

FLOOD Thank you for testing. I'm glad that I'm not alone :) Hope they'll fix it soon. Take care
Hello DanielMk, You're very welcome, I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up before:thinking: The kids are totally impressed with you, "more time, yippee", I told them "enjoy it while it lasts:wink:!" You take care too and enjoy that holiday!!

You're very welcome, I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up before:thinking:
Hi Flood, Well, i guess all kids noticed the bug, but kept quiet. It is their interest not to be discovered and fixed :) The holiday is over, now the school year started, that's why we need this working.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I guess I have not recieved the patch to fix this issue since the time resets after restaring the PC the same as the customer above. 

Please fix the issue with Kaspersky counting PC use while the PC is on but no apps being utilized. Kaspersky even still counts time when the PC is in sleep mode!!

Hope this is an issue that has been fixed and I just need to have a patch pushed to our PCs using Kaspersky Safe Kids.

Hello @primbsv,

• Additional, the issue was fixed with patch c, KSK is now on patch e. 
  • If the issue remains, make sure your PC meets the system requirementsuninstall KSK, follow the documentation carefully, at the completion of the uninstall, shutdown the PC using Shutdown, not Restart, power PC on, login, download & clean install KSK,  follow the documentation carefully; configure KSK → recheck issue🤔
  • If it persists, log a request with Kaspersky Technical Support, on the contacts  page, select your Location, select Application use, select from available options: ONLINE CHAT (not available all locations) PHONE (not available all locations), SUBMIT A REQUEST - via your MyKaspersky account.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳