Block device and/or Daily Limits on Windows laptop

Guest #1480

Guest #1480
I have blocked my son's laptop begining at 8pm. I have also set his daily limit at 3 hours. I have sat by as he has continued to use the device both when the time has gone past 8pm and after 3 hours. I thought I saw in one of the topics that I have to choose one or the other; I can't both set a time limit and block the device after a certain time. Ok. It is not working consistently. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. The other day I told him to finally get off the laptop and I got an alert a few hours later that he was blocked; I had already told him to get off the laptop hours earlier. The reason I paid for this was so the laptop would shut him out after a certain time. Please help.

Hello Bejarr, Welcome, Would you kindly let us know please: Version of KSK? Device/s type/s? Is it Windows running on the device/s please? (even tho the device type & opsys will not be contributing to the issue, it's always handy for us to know these details. Just to confirm our understanding: Device usage block 8:00pm onwards Device usage time - 3 hrs (total) each 24 hrs Issues: Child can use device AFTER 8pm despite restriction Child can use device in excess of 3 hours While you're gathering the info we'll do some KSK tests to see if we can replicate the concerns.. Doc refs (atm) https://help.kaspersky.com/KSK/Win1.5/en-US/94698.htm https://help.kaspersky.com/KSK/Win1.5/en-US/151284.htm https://help.kaspersky.com/KSK/Win1.5/en-US/150247.htm Please post back.. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest #1480
I'm using the Premium version. He has an Acer laptop which runs Windows. I set it to a weekday limit of 1.5 hours and a weekend limit of 2 hours. All weekend he was able to exceed the 2 hours. I never received a "Request for more time" because the app wasn't blocking him after he exceeded the time. Thank you.

Hello Luiz Dias, Thankyou for the information and the screen prints, very helpful! Re: "export reports", don't worry, the info on the screen print helps! Re: "duplicate screen", don't worry, two is better than none! To recover from this you can uninstall & reinstall Kaspersky software, HOWEVER, 1. There's a specific process to follow, if you choose to uninstall/reinstall, please let us know so we can guide you? 2. Three months is a long time. It would be much better/safer: if we could look at the whole system before any changes are made. As requested in my original reply, may we have a GSI please?
  1. GSI - https://support.kaspersky.com/common/diagnostics/3632#block7, include Windows Logs, upload the full GSI.zip folder to a cloud storage of your choice, e.g., OneDrive, GoogleDrive, MegaDrive...
  2. Please post back the link?
If you're unsure or need assistance creating the GSI & or uoloading to Cloud Storage, please post back? We can help:slight_smile: If you've followed Richbuffs direction, please post back and let us know if the problem is fixed or if we can further assist? Many thanks.

• 5 months later...

So, I was able to block my son’s laptop using “Daily Limits.”  Now, it is no longer working.  My son is on the laptop as long as he likes. 

I'm using the Premium version. He has an Acer laptop which runs Windows. I set it to a weekday limit of 1 hour.  I just switched it to a 5 minute time limit since it wasn’t working. I never received a "Request for more time" because the app wasn't blocking him after he exceeded the time.

This seems inconsistent.  Kaspersky blocks him sometimes and other times it doesn’t.

Help!

Hello @bejarr,
Welcome again!
I’d like to help!

Please let me know: 

1. Childs (Acer) Windows operating system name & version
  2. Kaspersky Safe Kids version?  (on the Acer)
  3. What device, operating system & version do you use
  4. Kaspersky Safe Kids version?  (on your device)
  5. May I have a screen image of the Kaspersky Safe Kids Device Use settings please?
  • Device Use
  1. & Kaspersky Safe Kids Notifications settings please?
  • Kaspersky Safe Kids Notifications settings

Thank you 

• 2 weeks later...

How do I find out all that information? Isn't there a way you can see my account settings? My son's Acer is Windows 10. I have the "full" version of Kaspersky. The version is 1.30.0.1607. My laptop is a Macbook Air (Catalina). I mostly control my son's laptop with my phone which if a Samsung Galaxy S7 model number SM-G930P

I have been using KSK for the past year and have learned not to depend on it for the only means of limiting internet/device usage, for Windows laptops I backup KSK with Microsoft Family, just don't forget to undo any changes or the limits will apply the following week, the next backup is that my kids are on their own wifi so I can shut the internet down without affecting the adults and VoIP service, our ISP has an app to shut down attached devices or you may have to access your modem's IP address to get to the parental controls. On Android phones KSK is easily broken by a persistent child, my daughter can gain access to Snapchat after several rapid attempts regardless of KSK settings. I know this is not a direct answer to your question but as one parent to another these methods have kept some control on an uncontrollable situation.

Hello  @bejarr,

W10 operating system version

KSK version ? 

Kaspersky Safe Kids Notifications settings:

Log into your MyKaspersky online account, select tiny bell🔔 image 1,  select gear⚙ icon image 2

• bell 🔔
  • gear ⚙

Scroll down to the 3rd section: KASPERSKY SAFE KIDS  Notifications settings (reduce the screen size so all of the settings fit in one screen print) image 3

Kaspersky Safe Kids Device Use settings. In your MyKaspersky account, go to Kids tab, select Device Use, select Settings, if you warn or block, by scedule or device use time, take a screen print, image 4

Report, in your MyKaspersky online account, select Kids, select Summary, select 30 days, select tiny  Export summary to file icon (at the very bottom of the screen, right hand side), Report will download as a .csv file, image 5

Save the Report, upload to cloud storage an PM the link to me. Please do not attach the Report to your post. 

If you need help with anything, please let me know?

Thank you🙏 ​​​​​​​

(Not required for this problem, however, just as information:  Android operating system version

• 7 months later...

I have a similar problem. I was wondering why my son was able to use his laptop past the block time. I found out that if he was continuously using his laptop, Kaspersky would not block his device.  So, to test what I thought was happening, I asked him to log out and log back in. That’s when the blocking feature activated. Which doesn't make sense. Which means that the blocking feature is useless especially if the child is smart enough to not log off from his/her device at all. Is there a solution to this? I imagine that this app is not able to make the machine interrupt when another app is running. Or if the makers are wary that it was too abrupt to stop the device, why not give a warning message that the laptop is going to be blocked at a certain time (the start of the block time)? Anyway, if I’m missing something, please enlighten me because my children are able to use their gadgets with abandon. Otherwise, I’ll just switch to another app. Thanks.

Hello @ollesor,

Welcome!

Please tell us:

1. Device operating system name and version
  2. KSK version
  3. Is  “son was able to use his laptop past the block time” a new issue or has always existed? 
  4. Please show an image of the KSK, Device use settings
  5. Is KSK licensed?
  • Regarding “give a warning message that the laptop is going to be blocked at a certain time”, this exists, please see images

Please let us know?

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Hi, I found out what was really happening. Kaspersky stopped running on his laptop (brand-new Razer Nitro 5, Windows 10 v 1909) although it did for maybe two weeks since I installed it. I tried running it by clicking on the icon on the desktop and nothing happened. Thinking that an anti-virus app which my son installed was causing conflict, I uninstalled the anti-virus, restarted, and still nothing happened when I tried to run Kaspersky. So, I thought I’d uninstall Kaspersky and then reinstall it. But it wouldn’t uninstall and I got an error message which is attached ( I tried uninstalling several times). So, I thought I’d just download it again and reinstall it but it wouldn’t reinstall and the attached screenshot shows that it was hanging (that blue circle was going on forever). Guess, at this point, please just let me know how I can uninstall it or reinstall it successfully. BTW, my KSK is licensed. Thanks.

Hello @ollesor,

Thank you for the update & the information. 

• For KSK to be uninstalled successfully, no other applications at all can be open and or running - is that the process that was used? 
  • (ioo), because there’s been KSK installed, attempted KSK uninstall, attempted KSK reinstall, there’s no point reinstalling KSK if the system is not prepared correctly → please run a GSI & Windows logs and post back? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

Yes, I made sure that no other apps were running. So, after I restarted I went to uninstall it right away. I tried to reinstall because other apps allow you to do that and will give you a message whether you want to repair or not or tell you if you can’t do it. KSK was just hanging.

Anyway, I’ll try to see what I discover through GSI & Windows logs. 

Hello @ollesor,

• If KSK is not correctly uninstalled, a new/clean install will fail; the GSI & Windows logs may help us determine the issue.
  • You may prefer to contact Kaspersky Technical Support, follow template, include images, a detailed history of all steps taken, the GSI & Windows Logs

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳