Another bug with KSK: apps continue to run in the background even after the pc is blocked.

Filon

It is well known that there is a serious flaw with KSK during the past few weeks where the app is not working properly and sometimes it blocks the pc, but most of the times it is not working. A lot of parents have posted in the forum and many of us have opened a ticket but support is very poor, since the problem persists.

Another bug of the software my kids discovered, is that in the rare occasion when KSK works properly and locks the pc, the application that was last running is not blocked even after the lock screen is displayed. I am attaching a screenshot, where the pc is in theory blocked, but zoom is running in the background and unless I say so, my kid will never log off since she can continue to chat without a problem!

Another bug of the software my kids discovered, is that in the rare occasion when KSK works properly and locks the pc, the application that was last running is not blocked even after the lock screen is displayed. I am attaching a screenshot, where the pc is in theory blocked, but zoom is running in the background and unless I say so, my kid will never log off since she can continue to chat without a problem!

Hello @Filon

Welcome back! 

• ❔ Has Zoom been time limited

We’ve spent over a year arguing this out with Kaspersky/KSK Developers, following is some of their quoted advice: 

1. September 2019: Our experts have just replied to us stating that most likely the application will play the sound in the background, and there is no concern regarding this.
  2. By the current design, an active app shall continue running after usage time limit is up. However, suggestions have been received to limit usage of applications by application category, and to configure usage time limits for specific applications. We shall see if they get implemented in future versions.
  3. KSK’s current features unfortunately do not include the capability to also terminate active apps when device access is blocked. We shall wait and see if the new suggested features get implemented in future versions
  4. For the new version of Safe Kids, the function of preventing the application to be used by the child once it reaches the block duration will not terminate the application. If that happened then, they can ask the parent to turn off the application for them if ever the application still play sounds or running in the background. As per experts this is not an issue.
  5. The purpose of the Kaspersky Safe Kids is to limit the access of the child to the device. In theory, if the child is not able to access the device then the applications also can't be accessed. So when the device is not able to be accessed by the child, they can't assist in terminating it and Kaspersky Safe Kids is not able to terminate it as well. In addition, Kaspersky Safe Kids is performing all the required features in assisting with the limitation only. For the application to be closed, the child needs to request permission from the parents to perform the required steps to close the specific application which is active in the background or the parents are able to perform it as well. In addition, suggestions have been provided to implement extra features in future versions of the application. The reason why this is told to not be an issue is that the Kaspersky Safe Kids is functioning according to the design and the functions it requires. It is designed to help parents to protect their kids online and beyond.
  6. I would like to inform that this request is not being work by the experts for more than a year, as the experts feels that it should not be a concern regarding this.
  7. Our Experts have replied to us and they do not see this situation as an issue. On the contrary, terminating applications can cause issues, for example, the kid makes some important work in a program, and terminating the program would eliminate the unsaved data.
  8. Unfortunately, there is really nothing we can do about your concern on the Kaspersky Safe Kids as of the moment, our experts do not see this situation as an issue.
  9. As mention before, our Expert do not see this situation as an issue. For now, there is nothing we can do on our ends.
  10. As our experts mentioned, blocking the device after time is up will not terminate the applications as the child doesn't have access to the device.
  11. November 2020: They don't see this as an issue. We will proceed to close the ticket as no further action is required.

end quote

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Ok, thanks for the update. Where did you find all these quotes. Are they in the forum or is it you own communication?

I too disagree with the “experts” and believe that this is an issue. I am disappointed that none of these issues came to my attention during the trial period and I proceeded with the subscription. I am sure that others have thought of this then: since KSK does not serve it’s purpose, is there an alternative app out there?

Ok, thanks for the update. Where did you find all these quotes. Are they in the forum or is it you own communication?

I too disagree with the “experts” and believe that this is an issue. I am disappointed that none of these issues came to my attention during the trial period and I proceeded with the subscription. I am sure that others have thought of this then: since KSK does not serve it’s purpose, is there an alternative app out there?

Hello @Filon

You’re most welcome☺ !

1.  Has Zoom been time restricted? This will not solve the problem, if for example, you allocate 2 Zoom hours & your daughter decides to start Zoom just before her device blocks, technically, she’d still have almost 2 hours of Zoom, but, it may be a partial solution🤔
  • The quoted comments are replies  (to us), from Kaspersky expert team/KSK developers to the issue we formally logged 21st September 2019.
  • Regarding alternatives, sadly, we’re not allowed to recommend alternative software, Community Rules: “Publication of links or software from third-party vendors of information security products, or their use when resolving issues (if Kaspersky Lab has already developed similar products)”, naming alternatives is covered by this rule, even if we do not provide links. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋