Tons of problems with VPN

Go to solution Solved by 0icecream501,

I purchased Kaspersky premium antivirus, and I wanted to use my Kaspersky VPN that is included. This VPN is giving me some serious issues.

First Issue: The VPN didn't even work when I first tried connecting it. It turns out (from reading support), if you are running macOS and you have Kaspersky Internet Security/ Security Cloud installed, the kill switch won't let it make a connection. That took me HOURS to figure out. Anyway, I uninstalled the antivirus portion (which is the reason I bought the product) which then led me to my second major problem.

Second Issue: After uninstalling the antivirus, I can connect and use the VPN, but the kill switch DOES NOT WORK. The VPN disconnects when I am away from my laptop, and my IP Address is exposed. This is a major issue, I feel, coming from such a reputable company. The only piece of software I am using on my Mac from this company is the password manager at the moment, and I am seriously considering changing that.

Conclusion: We should be able to use the kill switch with our premium and plus antivirus (Other VPNs let me do this) on our Macs. If the kill switch cannot be fixed, at least give us a SOCKS5 server or something so we can actually use the VPN without leaking our IP address the way it is intended.

Kaspersky, you guys have a great antivirus, but I am seriously bummed since I purchased Premium when it is giving me issues using it with the VPN. 🙁

EDIT: I am running macOS Sonoma

Edited by 0icecream501
Stating that I am using macOS Sonoma, for others who have this issue

1 hour ago, 0icecream501 said:

macOS Sonoma, I purchased Kaspersky premium antivirus, and I wanted to use my Kaspersky VPN that is included. This VPN is giving me some serious issues.

First Issue: The VPN didn't even work when I first tried connecting it. It turns out (from reading support), if you are running macOS and you have Kaspersky Internet Security/ Security Cloud installed, the kill switch won't let it make a connection. That took me HOURS to figure out. Anyway, I uninstalled the antivirus portion (which is the reason I bought the product) which then led me to my second major problem.

Second Issue: After uninstalling the antivirus, I can connect and use the VPN, but the kill switch DOES NOT WORK. The VPN disconnects when I am away from my laptop, and my IP Address is exposed. This is a major issue, I feel, coming from such a reputable company. The only piece of software I am using on my Mac from this company is the password manager at the moment, and I am seriously considering changing that.

Conclusion: We should be able to use the kill switch with our premium and plus antivirus (Other VPNs let me do this) on our Macs. If the kill switch cannot be fixed, at least give us a SOCKS5 server or something so we can actually use the VPN without leaking our IP address the way it is intended.

Kaspersky, you guys have a great antivirus, but I am seriously bummed since I purchased Premium when it is giving me issues using it with the VPN. 🙁

54 minutes ago, 0icecream501 said:

Edit #2 (To clarify): Before I uninstalled the antivirus, I turned the kill switch off. Even then, it still had a lot of trouble connecting to any server.

Hello @0icecream501

Welcome!

1. Kaspersky for Mac, Hardware and software requirements - which includes the VPN covers macOS Sonoma, however, the Kill switch information is in Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection, Protect your data if your secure connection is lost documentation, where Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection, Hardware and software requirements, do not include macOS Sonoma - it may well be the Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection documentation has not been updated? 
  2. Just as FYI - by default, the Kill Switch is turned off and Kaspersky VPN does not block your internet access if the VPN connection is interrupted.
  3. Why are you reading Kaspersky Internet Security / Security Cloud documentation? 
  4. Uninstall the VPN, follow: Uninstall application, & re-install the Premium software including the VPN follow: Install application - if that does not resolve the issue(s), raise a request with Kaspersky Customer Service, on the support page - https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts - select either Email or Chat, then fill in the template as shown in the following image (even tho the VPN is included in the Premium package, if Premium is selected for the template - the VPN is not defined & support may not *get the information as quickly as required*); Support may request Logs, Traces & other data, they will guide you:

USER_2024-02-18_215531.thumb.jpg.84f9d027633993c5f95c73e4d65ddf83.jpg

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Spelling. || added Uninstall & Install.

@Flood and Flood's wife

1. My mac meets those requirements.

2. My kill switch is and was turned on

3. I read on this website, if I have Kaspersky Internet Security / Security Cloud on my machine I cannot use the VPN with kill switch activated, it's a common issue they blame on Apple (my source is from this website link below). So, I tried to disable kill switch, that didn't help me connect to any server. After installing/reinstalling both programs, it still would not let me connect. Until I deleted the antivirus which finally let me connect. (kill switch still didn't work).

4. I have reinstalled both programs many times. Reconfiguring most settings as well. This literally took me all day. The VPN is fixed (with exception to the kill switch) because I keep the antivirus portion uninstalled.

https://support.kaspersky.com/KSDE/Mac2.11/en-US/166932.htm

Edited by 0icecream501
Edit for link and clarification
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 0icecream501 said:

1. My mac meets those requirements.

2. My kill switch is and was turned on

3. I read on this website, if I have Kaspersky Internet Security / Security Cloud on my machine I cannot use the VPN with kill switch activated (crazy). So, I tried to disable kill switch, that didn't help me connect. After installing/reinstalling both programs, it still would not let me connect. Until I deleted the antivirus. (kill switch still didn't work).

4. I have reinstalled both programs many times. Reconfiguring most settings as well. This literally took me all day. The VPN is fixed (with exception to the kill switch) because I keep the antivirus portion uninstalled.

Hello @0icecream501

Thank you for posting back!

1. Your macOS Sonoma - meets the Kaspersky Premium for MAC requirements, but not the Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection requirementsas we said, it may be Kaspersky's documentation is out-of-date, we do not know? 
  2. qte: Second Issue: After uninstalling the antivirus, I can connect and use the VPN, but the kill switch DOES NOT WORK. endqte
  3. Are Kaspersky Internet Security / Security Cloud installed on (your) macOS Sonoma
  4. You've paid for the Kaspersky Premium subscription & you cannot use it - IF (you've) performed the recommended recovery & the issues remain, proceed to contacting Kaspersky Customer Service, as per the previous guidance. 

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

spelling😣 modified 4.

1. I understand now, Kaspersky VPN may not be ready yet for the new macOS Sonoma. That could be the issue. Sonoma may be too new.

2. Yes, the VPN will literally only connect if I have the antivirus removed from the system. (the kill switch still doesn't work though)

3. I uninstalled  Kaspersky Internet Security / Security Cloud because it was the only way I can get the VPN to work (without kill switch enabled, the kill switch says it's on). I have the subscription, but I really wanted to try the VPN since my Mullvad subscription ran out.

4. I'll contact customer service. I'll share the outcome with the community if it gets resolved.

Edited by 0icecream501
grammar
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2024 at 6:28 AM, BEEJAY said:

I have Kaspersky Premium & was about to ask a question regarding VPN, as when I go to the "security page" it tells me that the VPN is off & I was about to ask should I switch it on & is that facility included in the Premium cost. But having read the problems with VPN on this forum, methinks I'll pass & stay as I am.

But if any comments are forthcoming, advice etc, I'd be grateful. While I'm on the forum, please also explain, what are tags?

Regards,

BEEJAY

I've been having a lot of issues with my VPN on macOS Sonoma. Can't connect if I have my Kaspersky antivirus installed. Once I uninstall the antivirus (the reason I purchased premium), the VPN works, but the kill switch definitely does not. It may be that my macOS Sonoma is too new for Kaspersky's VPN to run properly, but I'm not 100% sure.

1 hour ago, 0icecream501 said:

1. I understand, Kaspersky VPN may not be ready compatible yet for the new macOS Sonoma. That could be the issue.

2. Yes, the VPN will literally only connect if I have the antivirus removed from the system. (the kill switch still doesn't work though)

3. I uninstalled  Kaspersky Internet Security / Security Cloud because it was the only way I can get the VPN to work (without kill switch enabled, the kill switch says it's on). I have the subscription, but I really wanted to try the VPN since my Mullvad subscription ran out.

4. Yeah, I'll contact customer service. I'll share the outcome with the community.

Hello @0icecream501

Thank you for posting back!

*The article you posted earlier https://support.kaspersky.com/KSDE/Mac2.11/en-US/143012.htm, is dated Feb 22, 2022, it's not relevant to the VPN software that's currently installed & should not be referred to. 

1. According to their Kaspersky Premium Total Security website:  https://www.kaspersky.com/premium, System Requirements, Mac® desktops and laptops -> macOS® 11–13 - hate it when Kaspersky's documentation is inconsistent😫; you may wish to raise this with Support:           USER_2024-02-18_234749.thumb.jpg.e91df785495f67a8e89d38a4b2b84ebb.jpg  
  2. IF this was *our* problem, we'd be most unhappy if we'd paid full freight for a Premium subscription, only to find we could not use it & all we got to use was the VPN *without* the Kill switch - that's lousy economics. 
  3. IF (you) had *both* Kaspersky Internet Security / Security Cloud installed - that does not make sense, we'd recommend you *check* & make sure you follow *all* of the current documentation: https://support.kaspersky.com/kaspersky-for-mac/24_patchA/118658 - before contacting  Kaspersky Customer Service. 
  4. Excellent, thank you. 

Flood🐳+🐋

added image, rewrote 1.

• Solution

So I chatted with customer service, they wanted to remote desktop into my computer or have me send some script from my computer to diagnose the problem. That just sounds like a lot of work for me. I guess I'll just use a different VPN provider. Thank you though for your help. Hope this gets fixed in the future, so I can use the product on my Mac.

Edited by 0icecream501
last sentence, spelling
  • Thanks 1