Problem with activation

I bought the program, have an account, subscription is  shown as valid etc. but just not working so far ("protection is deactivated" or so, German version here) 

A mail after payment said that there is no need for an activation code but the program definitely wants one here and the website says

>

Je nach Methode der Bestellung von Kaspersky-Programme können Sie einen Aktivierungscode wie folgt erhalten:

• Wenn Sie das Produkt im Onlineshop gekauft haben, wird der Aktivierungscode an die E-Mail-Adresse gesendet, die Sie beim Bestellen angegeben haben
  • >
  •  

This is the way I bought it but I did not get a code, maybe a problem that I downloaded the program before buying so the version is not connected with my account ? But "Connect new app" or so just gives the options "Buy" (done already) and "Download"(makes no sense because the program is installed already etc.) 

So why are things/instructions on the contrary (activation code needed yes and no) and what to do now ? 99% sure that it will not work without an activation code here but mails tell me (mostly) that one does not need one     

5 hours ago, merula said:
  • I bought the program.
  • have an account.
  • subscription is shown as valid.
  • but just not working so far ("protection is deactivated" or so, German version here) 

A mail after payment said that there is no need for an activation code but the program definitely wants one here and the website says

>

Je nach Methode der Bestellung von Kaspersky-Programme können Sie einen Aktivierungscode wie folgt erhalten:

• Wenn Sie das Produkt im Onlineshop gekauft haben, wird der Aktivierungscode an die E-Mail-Adresse gesendet, die Sie beim Bestellen angegeben haben
  • >
  •  

This is the way I bought it but I did not get a code, maybe a problem that I downloaded the program before buying so the version is not connected with my account? But "Connect new app" or so just gives the options "Buy" (done already) and "Download"(makes no sense because the program is installed already etc.) 

1. So why are things/instructions on the contrary (activation code needed yes and no) and what to do now?

99% sure that it will not work without an activation code here, but mails tell me (mostly) that one does not need one     

Hello @merula

Welcome!

1. Has the *new* Kaspersky *application* been signed into, from the Kaspersky application, using the same email address that was used to buy the *new* Kaspersky subscription? 
  2. Since *installing* the new Kaspersky software, has the computer been shutdown, using SHUTDOWN, not Restart, then powered ON by pressing the power-button & logged in? 
  3. *Which* Kaspersky software subscription was *actually* purchased? 
  4. A MyKaspersky account? Good!
  5. If that means in (your) MyKaspersky account, you can see the *new* Kaspersky subscription, good!
  6. IF (your) emails look like images 1 & 2 & in (your) MyKaspersky account - image 3 - the *new* subscription shows it's *Active* & has a *License key* - (you) don't need an Activation code!
  7. *The new application has to synchronize/connect with (your) MyKaspersky account to *pick-up* the License key - has that step been done? IF the answer is YES & your application is still not working correctly, log a request with Kaspersky Customer Service, https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts  - 
    on the support page, select either Chat or Email, then fill in template as shown in the image 4. below; please include images of the error & a *detailed history*. Support will guide you:

image 1 

image.thumb.png.e07c63d134d1f9adc7d47afd65137a7c.png

image 2

image.thumb.png.85a727c8ebfd92b4f6d792826bf1d548.png

image 3

image.thumb.png.6833b2966d4aff68eaa1d5dffdf2d7f3.png

image 4

image.thumb.png.aca0cc51d366004ed720b743c8e63889.png
Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 
Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
formatting

I add a screenshot, format is not perfect just made with a full page browser extension but probably okay

So is this how it should be, subscription valid but only xxxxx as the activation code ? No idea how to "connect a device" in this situation, I can do nothing in the program itself,  only see the window that wants the activation code, icon is red with "no protection" etc. (and as I said the mail said that there is no need for a code at all, especially strange to me) 

Kaspersky.jpg

• Thanks 1

First quick answer: 

>

Has the *new* Kaspersky *application* been signed into, from the Kaspersky application.

>

I cannot do anything from the application itself, just see the window stuck with the need for an activation code 

Not 100% sure if I had shut down the pc completely, doubt that this will change things dramatically but will try a little bit later      

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, merula said:

I wrote just seconds before seeing your answer, will have to work through your explanations, thanks so far   

10 minutes ago, merula said:

Has the *new* Kaspersky *application* been signed into, from the Kaspersky application.

1. I cannot do anything from the application itself, just see the window stuck with the need for an activation code 

Hello @merula

You're most welcome!

1. Re: "I cannot do anything from the application itself, just see the window stuck with the need for an activation code", post a full-screen screen print of the Kaspersky *application* - include the computer date & time in the image please? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

formatting & grammar

Posted (edited)

I think that I saw a screenshot from you with this tiny arrow for the license key some minutes ago but where is it now... 

Anyway I saw this hours ago already but as you said it is a license key and not the activation code wanted from the application so it does not help directly 

Still have to restart the pc but some important things here at the moment so no need to hurry and thanks so far   

Edit: Here is the application window, not sure how to put date and time into it at the moment but made just seconds ago 

Maybe interesting: opening the application window from the tray icon I saw something like "Abo-Problem" or so but it was away very soon, well what kind of Abo-Problem... (subscription problem), all seems well concerning this 

We are still before a complete shutdown so...

Kaspersky.jpg

Edited by merula
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, merula said:

Anyway I saw this hours ago already but as you said it is a license key and not the activation code wanted from the application so it does not help directly 

Still have to restart the pc but some important things here at the moment so no need to hurry and thanks so far   

Hello @merula

You're most welcome!

This: Das abonnement für Kaspersky standard windows auf einem verbundenen gerät verwendet

>> tells you the computer & your MyKaspersky account need to connect for the Kaspersky Standard application to work!

IF (you're) unable to access the installed software - (when you have time) the computer must be shutdown & then powered ON by pressing the power-button, login & then (you) must sign into the Kaspersky application - using the same email address that was used to buy the Kaspersky Standard subscription. 

Don't try an add an Activation code & OR a License key - anywhere!!

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

formatting & grammar & additional information

Unfortunately things did not change to the better side after a complete shutdown and restarting the pc

>

IF (you're) unable to access the installed software - (when you have time) the computer must be shutdown & then powered ON by pressing the power-button, login & then (you) must sign into the Kaspersky application - using the same email address that was used to buy the Kaspersky Standard subscription. 

>  

I would do this of course but not possible because of this activation code window already attached in this thread see the screenshot above and no chance to get into other things or options etc.  

>

> 

A little bit strange because the program asks for it so there is an option for this apparently, too and maybe this would or will be the only solution in the situation here but probably this "synchronizing" with the account is preferred by Kaspersky because of possible piracy or so but I bought it as everyone can see 

I really had not expected that it would be so difficult (or  impossible at this moment at least) just to activate so what will the support do in this situation, give me an activation code maybe ? I cannot see another solution so far, even thinking about a complete uninstall and download again from my account and install again etc. but maybe this would give even more problems, the application is "running", I can see files like avp.exe and avpui.exe in System Informer (formerly Process Hacker similar to Process Explorer) and 10 to 15 services and drivers related to Kaspersky, I cannot even stop these processes but the program is not or just cannot be activated so no protection at all so far of course, rather frustrating but still hoping for a solution and I appreciate your detailed help             

21 minutes ago, merula said:

Unfortunately things did not change to the better side after a complete shutdown and restarting the pc

>

IF (you're) unable to access the installed software - (when you have time) the computer must be shutdown & then powered ON by pressing the power-button, login & then (you) must sign into the Kaspersky application - using the same email address that was used to buy the Kaspersky Standard subscription. 

>  

I would do this of course but not possible because of this activation code window already attached in this thread see the screenshot above and no chance to get into other things or options etc.  

>

> 

A little bit strange because the program asks for it so there is an option for this apparently, too and maybe this would or will be the only solution in the situation here but probably this "synchronizing" with the account is preferred by Kaspersky because of possible piracy or so but I bought it as everyone can see 

I really had not expected that it would be so difficult (or  impossible at this moment at least) just to activate so what will the support do in this situation, give me an activation code maybe ? I cannot see another solution so far, even thinking about a complete uninstall and download again from my account and install again etc. but maybe this would give even more problems, the application is "running", I can see files like avp.exe and avpui.exe in System Informer (formerly Process Hacker similar to Process Explorer) and 10 to 15 services and drivers related to Kaspersky, I cannot even stop these processes but the program is not or just cannot be activated so no protection at all so far of course, rather frustrating but still hoping for a solution and I appreciate your detailed help             

Hello @merula

Thank you for posting back & the information!

1. In your MyKaspersky account, do you see the *License key*, similar to B in this image:

image.thumb.png.7cb89a2d8f62ad10127f22ead529ca79.png

added image

Yes, I know the license key and it is shown since yesterday at least and all seems to be well and  subscription is valid etc. but.. 

After a shutdown and restart I saw "starting the app is prepared" or so and I had hoped all would be good but after 30 seconds or so I only got this activation window again and nothing more could be done   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, merula said:

Yes, I know the license key and it is shown since yesterday at least and all seems to be well and  subscription is valid etc. but.. 

After a shutdown and restart I saw "starting the app is prepared" or so and I had hoped all would be good but after 30 seconds or so I only got this activation window again and nothing more could be done   

Hello @merula

Ok, thank you for the information! Great, please wait, we are writing instructions. Thank you. 

Hello @merula

1. Re "no protection at all", Windows is protecting you at the moment. 
  2. Using Windows *Uninstall* Kaspersky Standard image.thumb.png.c51431d4300e603bfb62fc43ac33b8d7.png
  3. ** Very important - at the end on the uninstall shutdown the computer using SHUTDOWN, not Restart, then power ON by pressing the power-button & log in. 
  4. Sign in (your) MyKaspersky account.
  5. In the subscription information window, click Download to download Kaspersky Standard to your device, see image:                                    image.thumb.png.a20eff4088d2300fc4d763dad8fe3b88.png
  6. Install Kaspersky Standard - follow: How to install the application
  7. When the installation is successfully completed, the application will automatically connect to your account and be activated according to the subscription you have purchased.

Post back if there's any questions or problems, please? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

image formatting

Posted (edited)

I just see that avpui.exe is shown with note "Signature invalid" in System Informer (advanced task manager), maybe a matter of this activation thing or another general problem (just for your information) 

Your instructions go into the direction I had thought about already but had hoped to avoid this but well...  

Late in the night here, will do things as suggested tomorrow and hope that this will not produce more problems but things happen so quite a lot of optimism here so far, will write later again (can be 12 hours or more from now but no need to hurry)   

Your picture at 2. does not show up but as I understand it just the usual Windows uninstall procedure so no problem of course   

Edited by merula
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, merula said:

I just see that avpui.exe is shown with note "Signature invalid" in System Informer (advanced task manager), maybe a matter of this activation thing or another general problem (just for your information) 

Your instructions go into the direction I had thought about already but had hoped to avoid this but well...  

Late in the night here, will do things as suggested tomorrow and hope that this will not produce more problems, but things happen so quite a lot of optimism here so far, will write later again (can be 12 hours or more from now but no need to hurry)    

Hello @merula

Thank you for the information!

There's no rush, take your time & have a peaceful rest😴

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

No success so far unfortunately although your help is very appreciated and I did all things exactly as suggested, seem logical of course and would have been the things done by myself (or very near to it), I just wanted to avoid a complete uninstall, new download etc. but did it   

Uninstalled successfully, I did not see a single Kaspersky file after this (the uninstall routine suggested to keep the subscription data but I removed them too because maybe exactly this caused problems, could not be wrong in my opinion) 

I did NOT try to open the UI immediately after the new installation (finished successfully without any errors or so) but did a shutdown and restart instead, cannot be wrong in my opinion either because the software should know/check if it exists on the pc and ask for the license or something similar even after 2, 5 or 20 restarts or not..  

After shutdown/restart I had to try to open the software/UI of course, you said "The new application has to synchronize/connect with (your) MyKaspersky account to *pick-up* the License key"..  -  "You must sign into the Kaspersky application - using the same email address that was used to buy the Kaspersky Standard subscription.  Don't try an add an Activation code & OR a License key - anywhere!!" BUT I only got this window asking for an activation code again unfortunately which is a real mystery to me because I did not make a single mistake in installing etc. so I am on a dead end again and do not have any ideas anymore to solve this, seems to me that the software thinks that I do not have a valid license or so maybe but I never did anything other as buying the software legally and install it, all other things would be very silly with an av program anyway (and all is shown as valid in my account with expiration data, license number etc.)   

So how to continue, would the support give me an activation code in this situation, maybe ? Not sure if this would work anyway or if things are messed up already in hidden areas of the registry or so (not by me but by Kaspersky suspecting wrong things maybe etc.)   

I will definitely not make a complete os reinstall with creating images and all things necessary, I did never expect that installing/activating Kaspersky would be so difficult, I really would like to use it but am not far from giving up and I think the only solution (if any) would be trying an activation code

By the way I used Emsisoft Ant-Malware last years without any problems but the license expired and only Windows 10 and higher get program updates anymore (completely removed from the pc before installing Kaspersky of course), it would have been possible to get antivirus definitions for the longer future with Emsisoft and Windows 7 just using an older program version but a) I considered 40 euros yearly for a single pc license rather expensive and b) heard good things about Kaspersky of course and just wanted to try it but see above, this German security nonsense is irrelevant to me although I live in this not so wonderful country, still using Windows 7 may seem strange but I have my reasons for it and do not need other versions for the things I do and I checked that Kaspersky is okay with 7 before buying of course so I really think that this is not the reason for this strange activation problem but what else..  

So how to continue, asking the support for an activation code and try it ? I do not know if you are in the official Kaspersky support or just a helpful person so if you still have another idea I am happy with it but there should be a realistic chance or rather high probability for solving the problem by it, does not make much sense to try this uninstall/new install thing 10 times when chances are very low for a solution by this   

By the way I cannot imagine that I am the only person with this problem or what about this...   

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, merula said:

No success so far unfortunately although your help is very appreciated and I did all things exactly as suggested, seem logical of course and would have been the things done by myself (or very near to it), I just wanted to avoid a complete uninstall, new download etc. but did it   

Uninstalled successfully, I did not see a single Kaspersky file after this (the uninstall routine suggested to keep the subscription data but I removed them too because maybe exactly this caused problems, could not be wrong in my opinion) 

I did NOT try to open the UI immediately after the new installation (finished successfully without any errors or so) but did a shutdown and restart instead, cannot be wrong in my opinion either because the software should know/check if it exists on the pc and ask for the license or something similar even after 2, 5 or 20 restarts or not..  

After shutdown/restart I had to try to open the software/UI of course, you said "The new application has to synchronize/connect with (your) MyKaspersky account to *pick-up* the License key"..  -  "You must sign into the Kaspersky application - using the same email address that was used to buy the Kaspersky Standard subscription.  Don't try an add an Activation code & OR a License key - anywhere!!" BUT I only got this window asking for an activation code again unfortunately which is a real mystery to me because I did not make a single mistake in installing etc. so I am on a dead end again and do not have any ideas anymore to solve this, seems to me that the software thinks that I do not have a valid license or so maybe but I never did anything other as buying the software legally and install it, all other things would be very silly with an av program anyway (and all is shown as valid in my account with expiration data, license number etc.)   

So how to continue, would the support give me an activation code in this situation, maybe ? Not sure if this would work anyway or if things are messed up already in hidden areas of the registry or so (not by me but by Kaspersky suspecting wrong things maybe etc.)   

I will definitely not make a complete os reinstall with creating images and all things necessary, I did never expect that installing/activating Kaspersky would be so difficult, I really would like to use it but am not far from giving up and I think the only solution (if any) would be trying an activation code

By the way I used Emsisoft Ant-Malware last years without any problems but the license expired and only Windows 10 and higher get program updates anymore (completely removed from the pc before installing Kaspersky of course), it would have been possible to get antivirus definitions for the longer future with Emsisoft and Windows 7 just using an older program version but a) I considered 40 euros yearly for a single pc license rather expensive and b) heard good things about Kaspersky of course and just wanted to try it but see above, this German security nonsense is irrelevant to me although I live in this not so wonderful country, still using Windows 7 may seem strange but I have my reasons for it and do not need other versions for the things I do and I checked that Kaspersky is okay with 7 before buying of course so I really think that this is not the reason for this strange activation problem but what else..  

So how to continue, asking the support for an activation code and try it ? I do not know if you are in the official Kaspersky support or just a helpful person so if you still have another idea I am happy with it but there should be a realistic chance or rather high probability for solving the problem by it, does not make much sense to try this uninstall/new install thing 10 times when chances are very low for a solution by this   

By the way I cannot imagine that I am the only person with this problem or what about this...   

Hello @merula

Thank you for the update, that's disappointing & we do understand your frustration.

• Reading thru your notes we do not believe you've done anything wrong. But there's clearly something not right. We do not believe a OS refresh is required. 
  • Kaspersky supports Windows 7 - it is fine to use Windows 7. 
  • IF the License key is in (your) MyKaspersky account the installed Kaspersky Standard application & (your) MyKaspersky account need to synchronize - to activate the installed Kaspersky Standard application. 
  • We're not official Kaspersky support, *all* Community members are volunteers, unless they have Kaspersky employee beside their name. 
  • On this screen, is there any writing below - Wo finde ich einen Aktivierungscode? image.thumb.jpeg.22702904ba3d74c756a99edc4d14d6a1.jpeg

• *Looking at this image below, on (your) computer, there is no: Restore subscription from your account?  || Abonnement von Ihrem Konto wiederherstellen?

image.thumb.png.7bf506c43862d8ecda0d153220f1ef6e.png

If the answer is NO, at this stage, please log a request with Kaspersky Customer Service, https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts  - 
on the support page, select either Chat or Email, then fill in template as shown in the image below; please include images of the error & a *detailed history*. Support will guide you; also, Support may offer to remote to your computer to provide assistance, it's not mandatory to accept this, it's *your* choice:               image.thumb.png.78422f9f9a0cce12a21fbe5bb72a8173.png

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 
Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

formatting & grammar

Sorry for the delay, not much free time left this week and today the 50th anniversary of the carnation revolution in Portugal which ended the long dictatorship there is in my mind, just watching two nightly concerts from Lisboa and Porto because of this by web stream 

I wrote to the support and am still hoping for a solution, every Kaspersky product will have a single license key (there even is a section for it in the account but all I can see is a lot of xxxxx s far of course)  and so it should work if they can give me one in spite of the former failures hopefully

>

"When the installation is successfully completed, the application will automatically connect to your account and be activated according to the subscription you have purchased." 

>

Yes but this just does not happen here for some strange reason, will check things with the support and write here later again   

• Thanks 1

Miracles or kind of happen sometimes, your idea to post this activation window screenshot was excellent because I really could see more  options (necessary in this situation) at the bottom but only AFTER changing my screen resolution, similar old thing like Windows 7 probably but my eyes are rather old so the resolution is not state of the art neither, happens rarely that I cannot see some program options etc. and if yes one sees that something is cut off at least but not in this case where all looked normal and only your picture showed more options at the bottom of the window    

Took some steps and time but I really could, "restore" things by this option and the application was connected to my account and is working now so blame things on my screen resolution partly at least because I think that the application should have done this by itself immediately after installation and this restore thing is only kind of emergency option probably ? But the important thing is that it really seems to work now and I am quite sure that it will stay this way after restarts and shutdowns and I even know this recovery option now for the future so many thanks for your helpful ideas leading to the solution, I would have never thought about this one because I just could not see or expect that something was wrong or visibly missing in this infamous activation window 

Will work through the program options etc. next days but do not expect big problems because I am used to av programs etc. and if problems should occur I will ask in this forum again which proved very helpful so far      

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2024 at 11:15 AM, merula said:

Miracles or kind of happen sometimes, your idea to post this activation window screenshot was excellent because I really could see more options (necessary in this situation) at the bottom but only AFTER changing my screen resolution, similar old thing like Windows 7 probably but my eyes are rather old so the resolution is not state of the art neither, happens rarely that I cannot see some program options etc. and if yes one sees that something is cut off at least but not in this case where all looked normal and only your picture showed more options at the bottom of the window    

Took some steps and time but I really could, "restore" things by this option and the application was connected to my account and is working now so blame things on my screen resolution partly at least because I think that the application should have done this by itself immediately after installation and this restore thing is only kind of emergency option probably? But the important thing is that it really seems to work now and I am quite sure that it will stay this way after restarts and shutdowns and I even know this recovery option now for the future so many thanks for your helpful ideas leading to the solution, I would have never thought about this one because I just could not see or expect that something was wrong or visibly missing in this infamous activation window 

Will work through the program options etc. next days but do not expect big problems because I am used to av programs etc. and if problems should occur, I will ask in this forum again which proved very helpful so far.          

Hello @merula

Thank you for the update & congratulations, well done, that's a brilliant outcome! 

We're delighted to read the issue was resolved by resizing the screen resolution, thus showing more options on the Kaspersky GUI. 

One small tip as (you) work thru the Kaspersky application options - on almost every Kaspersky screen, on the top right-hard-corner is a question-mark, the ? represents Help - for that specific screen/window, selecting the ? will open the associated Help documentation. 

And you're always more than welcome to seek assistance from the Community OR Kaspersky Customer Service, if there's a need. 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

20 minutes ago, merula said:

Thanks again, not much time to take a very close look at the options until now but all working well so far and I even rarely notice Kaspersky running which I consider a good thing for an antivirus program.   

Hello @merula

You're most welcome!

Thank you for the update; it's pleasing to hear Kaspersky is working well & is not intrusive. 

FYI, the latest version 21.7 is being *progressively distributed*; version & patch updates are distributed *silently*, when the version arrives it will wait for 7 days / 168 hrs. -> if the computer is not rebooted in that period notifications will appear in (your) Kaspersky Standard application Notification center & possibly in Windows Notifications center (can't remember for Win 7 - but all things being equal we'd expect so) & the Kaspersky icon, in the Windows *hidden* icons will be red; in case those indicators appear in the next few months. 

Information about the new version: What's new in the latest version of the application, April 5th, 2024, ID 119653

As always, any problems or questions, please don't hesitate to post back? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋