Phishing & Malware Filter on iOS checking behavior ?

BlueAsari
Go to solution Solved by KarDip,

I just installed Kaspersky two weeks ago and having issues with connections to my modem and today, I noticed something very weird. I surf on the net at a minimum daily, checking the news or online shopping and maybe 15-30 minutes on social media apps. Kaspersky indicated it has checked over 32,000 links! Umm. Does anyone know if this is normal?

IMG_1562.png

• Solution

Hello @BlueAsari

Yes, it is normal for Kaspersky to scan a large number of links and files. Here’s what could be causing this high count:

1. Background Web Scanning and Traffic Monitoring

• Kaspersky actively monitors all web traffic, including the links you visit, redirects, ads, background connections (like tracking pixels or analytics scripts), and even connections made by installed applications.
  • Even though you may only browse a few sites, modern websites contain numerous embedded links (e.g., social media plugins, third-party ads, or trackers), all of which Kaspersky scans for malicious content.

2. Real-Time Protection and Safe Browsing Features

• Kaspersky has modules like Safe Money and Web Anti-Virus that continuously scan every element on web pages to detect threats before they load.
  • It also checks behind the scenes if any apps or services on your system (e.g., social media apps or browsers) make periodic internet connections.

3. Scheduled Scans and Cloud Lookups

• Beyond just real-time scanning, Kaspersky regularly queries its cloud databases when inspecting links and network connections.
  • If you use any apps that constantly sync or refresh in the background (such as news feeds or social media notifications), Kaspersky monitors those as well.

4. Browsing History Accumulation

• Even brief web sessions can generate a lot of traffic. Many links on webpages aren’t directly visible (like images, API calls, fonts, or dynamic content from multiple domains), but Kaspersky counts each of those as individual links.

What You Can Do

1. Adjust Web Monitoring Settings:

• Go to Settings > Protection > Web Anti-Virus and reduce the sensitivity if you want fewer checks. You can also whitelist trusted websites if you notice delays or overzealous scanning.
  2. Turn Off Unused Features:

• If you don't need Safe Money or certain protection modules, consider disabling them to reduce the monitoring load.
  3. Check for Unwanted Software or Extensions:

• Some browser extensions or apps might make a lot of outbound connections in the background, which Kaspersky will pick up. Try disabling unused add-ons or monitoring network traffic using Task Manager or tools like TCPView.

Conclusion

While 32,000 links may sound excessive, it’s likely due to modern web architecture combined with Kaspersky’s aggressive protection methods. If it doesn’t slow down your system or browsing, it’s doing its job efficiently. However, if you notice performance issues or too many false positives, tweaking the settings can give you more control.

Thank you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Flood and Flood's wife
2 hours ago, BlueAsari said:

I just installed Kaspersky two weeks ago and having issues with connections to my modem and today, I noticed something very weird. I surf on the net at a minimum daily, checking the news or online shopping and maybe 15-30 minutes on social media apps. Kaspersky indicated it has checked over 32,000 links! Umm.

1. Does anyone know if this is normal?

Hello @BlueAsari

Welcome!

1. Also, for your iOS, yes, it's normal, it's not just links that you visit, the 'Links checked' is probably not the best description of the actual function of the Phishing & Malware Filter, please read: About Phishing & Malware Filter

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
pn 1.
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Phishing & Malware Filter on iOS checking behavior ?