Office 365 Access Denied Issues with VPN Enabled

Hello,

I work for a major Healthcare system in NJ [USA]. Several days a week I work from home on my personal computer:

image.png.daf50a560439ed2c989deefa61c747eb.png

I have Kaspersky Internet Security v21.3.10.391 (I) installed as well as Kaspersky VPN v21.17.7.539 Unlimited.

Recently, our company has started enforcing a policy to prohibit access to our corporate email (Microsoft Office 365) and Microsoft Teams from outside of the USA. My VPN is configured to use a USA Server [Newark]. However, according to Microsoft, they see me as coming from Great Britain:

image.thumb.png.28a5b4e1f00627838005034ac5bcc0ad.png

Since Great Britain is outside of the USA, this is prohibiting me from using the VPN while working from home. I have to keep the VPN disabled in order to work which defeats the purpose of me having a VPN. My IPv6 Address (with VPN enabled) is what's highlighted in the image above. This is prohibiting me from accessing our corporate resources from my PC at home. Microsoft reports this as outside of the USA and is therefore enforcing our corporate security policy and blocking my access.

image.png

7 hours ago, BobM said:

W10, Home, 22H2, 19045.4412, KIS v21.3.10.391, KVPN v21.17.7.539 Unlimited.

I work for a major Healthcare system in NJ [USA]. Several days a week I work from home on my personal computer:

Recently, our company has started enforcing a policy to prohibit access to our corporate email (Microsoft Office 365) and Microsoft Teams from outside of the USA.

My VPN is configured to use a USA Server [Newark]. However, according to Microsoft, they see me as coming from Great Britain:

image.thumb.png.28a5b4e1f00627838005034ac5bcc0ad.png

Since Great Britain is outside of the USA, this is prohibiting me from using the VPN while working from home. I have to keep the VPN disabled in order to work which defeats the purpose of me having a VPN. My IPv6 Address (with VPN enabled) is what's highlighted in the image above. This is prohibiting me from accessing our corporate resources from my PC at home. Microsoft reports this as outside of the USA and is therefore enforcing our corporate security policy and blocking my access.

Hello @BobM

Welcome!

1. Using: https://www.maxmind.com/en/locate-my-ip-address - what is the result please? 
  2. Maxmind - our result (we're not in the US)image.thumb.png.91dd9ac493e6aaa4051ea048ecc76d0a.png
  3. Completely unrelated but possibly of interest (to you), KIS has been replaced by Kaspersky's *new* generation software, (you) may wish to upgrade to Kaspersky Standard, the upgrade is free, please read: Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium - info & FAQ, by Danila T.; the download is available at: https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads#update-product

Please post back? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Added our Maxmind result

Thanks for the response. The IPv4 Address is reporting correctly. It's the IPv6 I had highlighted above that Microsoft is using. Everything with them is IPv6. That address "appears" (to them) to be coming from Great Britain. Is there another similar tool to MaxMind that will show me my IPv6 address? And I think I might look into Kaspersky Standard. Thanks for the suggestion. I must have missed that somewhere along the way...

image.png.cf93ae1c237c46a5269e8444c0cb7e9e.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BobM said:

The IPv4 Address is reporting correctly.

• It's the IPv6 I had highlighted above that Microsoft is using. Everything with them is IPv6. That address "appears" (to them) to be coming from Great Britain.
  1.  Is there another similar tool to MaxMind that will show me my IPv6 address?

Hello @BobM

You're most welcome!

Apologies, we missed something there😔

• We can confirm the IPv6 is showing as UK - see image 2 below
  1. https://dnschecker.org/whats-my-ip-address.php - however IF https://www.test-ipv6.com/ is used it shows image 3 below: 
  2. IF IPv6 is *disabled* does the issue persist? 
  3. Log a request with Kaspersky Customer Service, https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts  - on the support page, select either Chat or Email, then fill in the template as shown in image 1 below; please include images of the error & a *detailed history* -> *make it very clear the issue is IPV6 only*.  Support may request logs, traces & other data, they will guide you:

image.thumb.png.edc25a9694353a196e2d5d12b54d8527.png

• Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available?

image.thumb.png.3df5b19e02099a3cc4ef7e7de30deacd.png

image.thumb.png.18246ca64eaba1992aa9462f39060f4b.png

***Also*** we recommend you upgrade KIS to Kaspersky Standard before you contact support, bc they will probably tell you to do this so get it out of the way so they don't waste your time. 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
added 2.IF IPv6 is *disabled* does the issue persist? & image 3 Test your IPv6 connectivity

Thanks. I will play around with this and reach out to Support. And I did just upgrade to Kaspersky Premium free of charge which is pretty much Standard plus Password Manager and VPN which I already have them all. I am up to date on that end now. As far as disabling IPv6, I think that may cripple me with work as Microsoft do so much with IPv6. I have to authenticate through AD/Azure with my company credentials to get access to my work email. And in the past, when I have disabled IPv6, it just gets reenabled again by default. Microsoft rules our lives... 😂

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Interesting observation: Under the Kaspersky VPN Settings, the Protocol was set to Automatic. On a whim I manually set it to 'Catapult Hydra' and reenabled it (the other option is 'WireGuard'). Now the IPv6 shows correctly as Newark, NJ [USA]:

image.thumb.png.f5cb7a05fe1ea80fe08f14e8ca041085.png

I think I will run with this a few days to make sure this change fixes things before I reach out to Support. But for now, it seems to be working as expected.

Edited by BobM
  • Thanks 1

UPDATE: Loaded up Teams and got the policy deny message again. Dnschecker showed IPv6 as Great Britain again. Somehow it flipped back on its own. I disabled VPN, changed the Protocol setting to 'WireGuard', and reenabled VPN. I am now able to load Teams without an access deny error. And the dnschecker only shows me my IPv4 Address with IPv6 as "Unknown". Maybe this will do it. I'll find out in the morning as it's getting pretty late here right now.

As a last resort (if necessary, before reaching out to Support) I'll enable Split Tunneling and see if I can add Outlook and Teams to bypass the VPN and have those 2 apps use my local Internet connection directly. That might do it also.

• Thanks 1