Monitoring Port 443 Causes Connection Problems With Some Applications

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

Hello,

I'm having a problem with some of my applications that couldn't get online when monitoring of port 443 is enabled. Those applications are:

• Signal (Application detects no network connection); and
  • Steam (Cannot load Store pages and Friends network, giving either error code -101 or -103; though downloading updates works fine).

Other things that I've tried that did not solve the problem:

• Disabling protections one by one (pausing protections worked though); and
  • Disabling scanning of encrypted connections.

Screenshots:

• Port 443 monitoring is enabledimage.thumb.png.2f5f2eb22917a42065d71e2a9761ecd1.png
  • Port 443 monitoring is disabledimage.thumb.png.9fd82f88c9b307cf6787682cd31f401e.png

I'm running Windows 11 version 21H1 and KIS version 21.3.10.391 (j).

Hope this can be solved soon as I'm currently running without port 443 being monitored and please let me know if more info is needed.

Thank you.

Edited by christantoan

• Solution
4 hours ago, christantoan said:

I'm having a problem Signal & Steam - couldn't get online when monitoring of port 443 is enabled. 

• Signal (Application detects no network connection); 
  • Steam (Cannot load Store pages and Friends network, giving either error code -101 or -103; though downloading updates works fine).

Other things that I've tried that did not solve the problem:

• Disabling protections one by one (pausing protections worked though); and
  • Disabling scanning of encrypted connections.

Windows 11 version 21H1 and KIS version 21.3.10.391 (j).

Hello @christantoan

Welcome!

?️Have Steam & Signal ever worked correctly, in every aspect before, is this a new issue, or has it always existed? 

?️Have Steam & Signal been added to Trusted apps in Encrypted Connection Scanning

Try this solution, from @Igor Kurzin

?Don't have Steam or Signal active or running while the steps below are being done?

1. Make sure Windows Hidden items, is checked -> refer: View hidden files and folders in Windows
  2. Open Kaspersky app, select Settings⚙ -> General, uncheck Enable Self-Defense, select Save, select Yes to confirm the action.
  3. Exit Kaspersky app - on the Windows taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select Exit.
  4. Go to folder C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3\Report\ and delete the contents - all files and folders.
  5. Start Kaspersky app.
  6. Enable Self-Defense.
  7. Shutdown the computer, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, login.
  8. Re-check the issue(s)?

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Added: ​ ?Don't have Steam or Signal active or running while the steps below are being done? ​
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @christantoan

Welcome!

?️Have Steam & Signal ever worked correctly, in every aspect before, is this a new issue, or has it always existed? 

?️Have Steam & Signal been added to Trusted apps in Encrypted Connection Scanning

?Don't have Steam or Signal active or running while the steps below are being done?

1. Make sure Windows Hidden items, is checked -> refer: View hidden files and folders in Windows
  2. Open Kaspersky app, select Settings⚙ -> General, uncheck Enable Self-Defense, select Save, select Yes to confirm the action.
  3. Exit Kaspersky app - on the Windows taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select Exit.
  4. Go to folder C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP21.3\Report\ and delete the contents - all files and folders.
  5. Start Kaspersky app.
  6. Enable Self-Defense.

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Thank you for your response.

I'd like to report that the solution from @Igor Kurzin resolved the problem. Thank you very much for that.

To answer your questions:
A. Yes, they have worked fine previously before. This is a new issue since 3 days ago or so.
B. No. But, as a test, I added Steam as a trusted app (when trying to add Signal, KIS would crash, more info below) but it didn't solve the problem, even when I checked all the checkboxes in the Trusted Applications window.

Regarding KIS' crash when adding Signal as a trusted app, it crashes when clicking the OK button the second time (the first click does nothing) after selecting the application. However this is also resolved by the solution from @Igor Kurzin. I have sent the report offered by KIS when relaunching after crash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @christantoan

Welcome!

5. Start Kaspersky app.
  6. Enable Self-Defense.

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Hello again,

Sorry for the additional questions but I'd like to know if:

1. there are any side effects of deleting the files and folders in the Report folder; and
  2. there's a need to empty the folder periodically to prevent this issue from happening again.

Thank you.

27 minutes ago, christantoan said:

Sorry for the additional questions but I'd like to know if:

1. there are any side effects of deleting the files and folders in the Report folder; and
  2. there's a need to empty the folder periodically to prevent this issue from happening again.

Hello @christantoan

Thank you for posting back & the additional questions, no need to apologize, it's much better to ask, apart from clarifying any outstanding info (for you), the queries may help others in the Community?

1. No.
  2. Hopefully the issue will not repeat, if it does the procedure can be repeated, or, do a clean install of KIS -> a clean install means uninstalling KIS - saving License information *only*, do not check any other checkboxes, then download a new KIS installed & install. Also, if it's not part of (your) general housekeeping, a weekly shutdown, of the computer, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on, using the power button, login; is a good habit & keeping: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp {USER = your name} & C:\Windows\Temp - clean & finally, always have a System restore & or backup schedule in place. 

Any questions, please do not hesitate to post back? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

• Thanks 1