KIS crashes after fresh installation (!)

1) Fresh install of KIS on W10 x64

2) Followed 'workaround'

3) After registry modification as proposed above, KIS wouldn't start normally. Starting the app, results in two KIS icons appear on the taskbar

4) Hovering the mouse over, 1 of those disappears

5) And clicking on the one that remained, attempts to re-start KIS and goes back to (3)

So what's wrong this time? Is that "IsVersionUpdateEnabled" entry in the registry that caused all the havoc? Is it not supported by later versions anymore? Something else?

Good luck to me finding out. As if I don't have anything better to do, instead of spending time on troubleshooting, re-installing on a fresh windows installation ?

I thought things have improved here, but apparently not

Not only DEVs haven't implemented a normal, user-friendly way of disabling application auto-update (which is done silently by the way), but also 'workaround' doesn't seem to work anymore

Total disappointment from my side

Edited by ias0na

Hello @ias0na

Welcome back!

Correct, Kaspersky have not implemented a 'normal, user-friendly way of disabling application auto-updates' nor have they stopped Total Force Updates.

For version 21.3, which you have, that no longer applies as there are no more version & or patch updates; all development has stopped, only Database updates continue until KIS is withdrawn, there is no published end date at the moment. 

In the new version: 21.9 & up, TFU's continue. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife

The KIS version supposidlely installed on my PC is 20.0.14.1085 (not 21.3)

For the installation, I used an older offline installer, which the prompt me to connect and download the 'latest version' - and this is what it installed. Not sure if that has to do with any subscription limitation or not. But this is the version the installer deemed as 'latest'. No choice there either

I do not wish to use the web installer. I want to be able to install KIS on a custom path

And this is what the situation looks like after installation: https://filebin.net/8ditneivn32ko0k8

Only actions I ve done prior to what you see in the above video is to disable 'run at startup' (which I don't need), applied the workaround and then carried on with other windows tasks. And suddenly, when I decided to turn on KIS, you can see what happens in the above video

Then I started wondering why this doesn't also happen on my other PC. And then I realized that the other PC runs version 21.2.16.590 - which is newer compared to the one I ve just downloaded after the fresh install of my new system! Go figure...

So, my question here is towards the DEVs/official support:

a) Can you provide a link with a latest, official, offline installer for me to give it one last chance?

b) Can you provide a solid solution for disabling application updates for that installer?

I want to have control over what my security software does (and what doesn't!). I am paying for that very reason

If your answer is 'No' then I ll just roll back to using Windows Defender or ClamWin. I d rather live with a shitty detection rate, rather than having to deal with a piece of software which makes too many decisions for its own good

• Thanks 1

Hello @ias0na

You're most welcome!

Thank you for posting back! 

Please log a request with Kaspersky Customer Service: https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts; on the support page, select either Chat or Email, then fill in Application malfunction, Other template; please include any screen images of the error & a detailed history. Support may request logs, traces & other data; they will guide you. 

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 
Thank you?
Flood?+?

19 hours ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

For version 21.3, which you have, that no longer applies as there are no more version & or patch updates; all development has stopped, only Database updates continue until KIS is withdrawn, there is no published end date at the moment. 

In the new version: 21.9 & up, TFU's continue

I have just done a re-installation using the web installer this time

Now version shows 21.3.10.391

What did you mean when you said "that no longer applies" (for the application updates)

If 21.3 is withdrawn (when?), wouldn't KIS attempt to update the app to a later version?

I only need the database updates - nothing else

How can I ensure that this version that I have now just stays like that (like it is supposed to anyway!)

All that assuming that whatever the issue I had earlier (as you can see in that video) is fixed in this version. Time will tell

26 minutes ago, ias0na said:
  • What did you mean when you said "that no longer applies" (for the application updates)

If 21.3 is withdrawn (when?), wouldn't KIS attempt to update the app to a later version?

I only need the database updates - nothing else

1. How can I ensure that this version that I have now just stays like that (like it is supposed to anyway!)

Hello @ias0na

You're most welcome!

We were responding to your concern about Total Force Updates & Kaspersky not having implemented a 'normal, user-friendly way of disabling application auto-updates' 

Because, in (your) initial post, you said: "Fresh install of KIS", we naturally assumed  it was 21.3.10.391; had it been 21.3.10.391 at the point of our last reply - as (you) have now updated the installed version to be - our previous advice remains the same.

For version 21.3.10.391, which you have, that no longer applies as there are no more version & or patch updates; all development has stopped, only Database updates continue until KIS is withdrawn, there is no published end date for KIS - at the moment

KAV, KIS, KTS & KSC have been replaced by: Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium - info & FAQ

1. Please log a request with Kaspersky Customer Service: https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts; on the support page, select either Chat or Email, then fill in Application malfunction, Other template; please include any screen images of the error & a detailed history. Support may request logs, traces & other data; they will guide you. 

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 
Thank you?
Flood?+?

pn