Issue with Kaspersky and Windows 11 Core Isolation / Memory Integrity from Defender

Hi !

Si I did a some research before coming here but I'm a bit stuck as my problem seems to be precisely in between everything I saw.

Couple of days ago, I had two warning:

- One from Windows Defender in the Device Security panel that brought me to Core Isolation. Memory Integrity was on and there was not a lot of thing I can do. I ended up ingnoring the notification and everything seems to be OK as it's green but I'm not sure it works because all I did was ignoring the warning.
The only weird thing is that I can't turn off Memory Integrity (I can toggle the button but everytime I restart the PC it's on);
- One from Kaspersky that advice me to use a computer with virtualization. In the settings, Hardware virtualization if avaiblable is on but I have a message saying it's incompatible.

So I don't know if Windows Defender is doing his job or Kaspersky or if both are out...

FYI, I tried several things to see if Wndows Defender is running Memory Integrity or to make Kaspersky see that virtualization is available: uninstalled Oracle VM Virtual Box, checked if virtualization is on in the BIOS, SFC /scannow and all the standard check, disabled Kaspersky Virtualization (that seems to "break" Core Integrity as it disappeared from Windows Defender), went to the Windows Feature menu to check if Hyper V is off and set on Windows Hypervisor Platform + Virtual Machine Platform, tried to force Core Isolation through Local Group Policy Editor,...

In the end I don't really know what's happening...

Unless if Windows Defender is really doing his job (but I'm not sure as the warning disappeared after I ignored it), I'll be grateful if you can help me out to understand if everything's alright !

Thanks a lot !
Regards,

A5TRO

Hello @A5TRO

Welcome!

IF (you) wish to use Kaspersky's Hardware virtualization (you) cannot use: any *other* VM, including Windows Defender, Core Isolation. Memory Integrity, Oracle VM, Windows Hypervisor Platform + Virtual Machine Platform, etc., *Kaspersky requires exclusive access to the resources

Please read: About protection through hardware virtualization in Kaspersky applications

Thank you?
Flood? +?

Hi and thanks for the response!

I had seen this link but as I said, I'm unable to put off Memory Integrity as it reset to on after a restart.

Nevertheless your answer confirmed me about the exclusive access of virtualization.
What you're telling me is that only one VM can work on a computer. Meaning that when I had Oracle WM (that was used with BOINC Manager to run scientific calculation), there was a conflict?
Isn't there's a way to manage VM easily?

Returning to the main subject, which one is the "best" for that case? Defender of Kaspersky?
How can I be sure that Defender is actually doing his job and everything's running well?
Should I disable Windows Hypervisor Platform and Virtual Machine Platform ?

Thanks again !

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, A5TRO said:
  • I had seen this link but as I said, I'm unable to put off Memory Integrity as it reset to on after a restart. Nevertheless your answer confirmed me about the exclusive access of virtualization.
  1. What you're telling me is that only one VM can work on a computer.
  2. Meaning that when I had Oracle WM (that was used with BOINC Manager to run scientific calculation), there was a conflict?
  3. Isn't there's a way to manage VM easily?
  4. Returning to the main subject, which one is the "best" for that case? Defender or Kaspersky?
  5. How can I be sure that Defender is actually doing his job and everything's running well?
  6. Should I disable Windows Hypervisor Platform and Virtual Machine Platform ?

Hello @A5TRO

You're most welcome!

Thank you for posting back & the clarification! 

1. IF Kaspersky HV is used, this is correct. 
  2. IF Kaspersky HV was active, this is correct.
  3. Don't use conflicting resources. 
  4. ? What is the main subject? This is a Kaspersky Forum. 
  5. Yes, IF (you're) using Kaspersky.
  6. Regarding being unable to turn Memory Integrity [Isolation Hypervisor-protected Code (HVCI)] OFF - which KIS version & patch(x) is installed, on the Windows Taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select About?
  7. ?Log a request with Kaspersky Customer Service: https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts; on the support page, select either Chat or Email, then fill in Application malfunction, Other template; please include any screen images of the error & a detailed history. Support may request logs, traces & other data; they will guide you -> note, support may advise you to ugrade to Kaspersky new version: Kaspersky Standard:  version 21.13.5.506; refer: Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium - info & FAQ, by Danila T.

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
pn

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Bav said:

Which is superior to use? For example, does disabling windows core isolation and allowing Kaspersky to take over, actually provide better security? 

Hello @Bav

Welcome back! 

It's personal choice!

Not using Kaspersky's hardware virtualization means certains functions will be unavailable. 

Personal choice!

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋