Google system app can still not be blocked on Android devices

JR69

There are multiple old threads about this from a year ago, but it remains a huge problem with Kaspersky Safe Kids.

Kaspersky tech support wrote me one year ago: “We are in plans to release a feature to block Google (Google Assistant this is the same) but no ETA about when this feature will be released.”

As of now, the Google app STILL does not appear in the list of apps that can be blocked.

The AppLock work-around mentioned in the old threads does not mention that (after a 3-day trial), one has to pay for that app as well.

This is really an unacceptable situation that Kaspersky should address ASAP. I submitted another tech support request about this today (INC000013853355) and am hoping for a fix soon.

The AppLock work-around mentioned in the old threads does not mention that (after a 3-day trial), one has to pay for that app as well.

Hello @JR69

Welcome back!

The AppLock solution we referred to in previous posts is free. 

Used in combination with KSK, it resolves the outstanding Google app/Google Assistant issue that Kaspersky is yet to fix. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

I received a curious response about this issue from Kaspersky Tech Support. They wrote, “With regard to the bug, it has been resolved via the technical released version that was deployed back in July 2021.”

Nevertheless, the system Google app does not appear in the list of apps for which I can select Allowed/Forbidden, and it still runs on the device.

Is anyone else here with an Adroid device able to see the system Google app in the list of apps that can have their permissions set? 

Meanwhile, they asked me to send them additional log data including “Reproduce the issue” which I will do. But, if they say it is fixed, then why am I not seeing the Google app in the list of apps?

JR

In response to the data report they instructed me to send them (from an Android 10 Lenovo Tablet), they replied:

“Please note, checking the AIDA64 report the Google App is not installed on the mobile device. Please share a screenshot of the app you as you see it on the device. The “How to take a screenshot” guide is available here: http://support.kaspersky.com/general/various/492#bloack3

I will send them screen shots of the app running, of course, and AFAIK it’s not even possible to remove the Google system app from an Android 10 device!

Very odd...

• ‼ OF course it’s not possible to remove/uninstall the Google system app from an android, the Google system app is shipped with the OS‼

Update: Using KSK, (Google) Assistant can be Forbidden, &, it’s incorrectly categorized as Other 🙄

• Attention @Igor Kurzin , please engage, the KSK developers really need to get up to speed with correctly categorizing apps. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

I attach here the three screen shots I sent Tech Support in response to their request: “Please note, checking the AIDA64 report the Google App is not installed on the mobile device. Please share a screenshot of the app you as you see it on the device.”

Dear Flood, I don’t even see “Assistant”...

Hello @JR69

Thank you for posting back!

1. Check Play store, search for Assistant? Is it installed? 
  2. Also, tell Support, users don’t install the Google App, it comes as part of the OS, that’s why (ioo), them saying they’ve “fixed” the issue, is rubbish. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Update: After explaining everything to Tech Support as clearly as possible, multiple times during the current email thread of the past couple of days, and after sending them the system log files they asked for, they now sent me this form email:

Dear customer,

Hello,

Thank you for your email, allow me to help.

Since you currently have the latest version, please collect the following data from your child device.

• About
• Support
• Tap Enable Tracing
• Enter the Reference/Ticket number
• Reproduce the issue
• Tap Enable Tracing to Disable it & choose "Send Trace Files"
• This will open the Email application in your phone & the trace file will be attached. Please make sure the correct reference/ticket number is in the subject field and hit send.

Awaiting your reply.

Have a good day and stay safe!

Amin || Customer Service Representative

I responded:

Please explain what you mean by “Reproduce the issue” – we are discussing the fact that the Google app does not appear in the list of apps in the parent interface. There is nothing happening on the child’s device (except that we can’t block the Google app). Thank you.

I am starting to get the sense that there is no one there actually reading my emails or looking into this issue. VERY frustrating.

JR

Hello @JR69

We can only suggest you tell them exactly what you’ve written here, they of course will reply that they can do nothing without the data, at which point, you’ll explain, you’ve already provided whatever data you can…. 

IF there is a Google app your child can access, activate/use that app & replicate the steps they want you to perform & collect the data at the same time.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

• 2 weeks later...

Update: After numerous back and forth emails on this topic over the past week, I received this message from them today:

Our Escalation Team have just replied to us with the following information. Your request was escalated to our developers, a bug issue was created. Unfortunately we do not have any resolution-related information yet. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

• 4 months later...

Dear KSK community,

So, I am reviving this thread because this massive limitation of KSK remains -- there is no way to block the built-in Google App using KSK. Previous advice here was to use the separate app "App Lock" to block the built-in Google App, and that's what's been on the device for the past few months. However, my son found an easy way to bypass "App Lock" and use the Google App as much as he wants. He showed me how: it involves pulling down the "system tray" from the top of the screen and, while it is still open, running the app. It doesn't work every time, but if he tries a few times, he always manages. So, yet again, I am back to square one: Is there any way to completely block the use of the built-in Google App on an Android Tablet?

Thank you,

JR

Hello @JR69,

Welcome back!

1. (For our understanding), after configuring (blocking) Google App, with App Lock, has App Lock been configured (blocked) by KSK
  2. Since your son has worked out a "bypass" method, has the pass configuration on App lock been reset? 
  3. Re "pulling down the "system tray" from the top of the screen and, while it is still open, running the app", does "running the app", mean running App Lock or KSK please? 
  4. Did the KSK developers/Escalation team come back to you with a bug update? 
  5. Is INC000013853355 still open?
  6. If you don't mind, please post the current installed KSK version
  7. Is the device still the original Android 10 Lenovo Tablet? 
  8. Are you able to post a small video of your son bypassing the software & accessing Google app please? 

Please let us know? 

Thank you?

Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
modified q.2

• 4 months later...

Finally, a mutually aggravated parent of a child with KSK, JR69!  I've been very frustrated with KSK's canned responses exactly as you posted,

Dear customer,
Hello,
Thank you for your email, allow me to help.
Since you currently have the latest version, please collect the following data from your child device.
• About
• Support
• Tap Enable Tracing
• Enter the Reference/Ticket number
• Reproduce the issue
• Tap Enable Tracing to Disable it & choose "Send Trace Files"
• This will open the Email application in your phone & the trace file will be attached. Please make sure the correct reference/ticket number is in the subject field and hit send.

Awaiting your reply.
Have a good day and stay safe!
Amin || Customer Service Representative

COMPLETE AND ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!  I've done those exact steps; how hard is it to block Google!  I've used App Lock before, and it's quite adept at blocking Google, but yes, unfortunately, it is easily turned off.  Hopefully with enough feedback KSK will address the issue.  Thanks for all your time working with them!

37 minutes ago, Rogguy79 said:
  1. Finally, a mutually aggravated parent of a child with KSK, JR69!  I've been very frustrated with KSK's canned responses. 
  2. I've used App Lock before, and it's quite adept at blocking Google, but yes, unfortunately, it is easily turned off.
  3. Hopefully with enough feedback KSK will address the issue.  

Hello @Rogguy79

Welcome!

1. You're not alone, the issue is indeed aggravating, for numerous parents, as is evidenced in posts here in the Community & in the KSK Google Play Feedback portal, it's gone on for an unacceptable long time (ioo). 
  2. (ioo), IF App lock is blocked by KSK, it cannot be turned off
  3. IF only that were true. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

• 6 months later...

Dear KSK community,

So, I am reviving this thread AGAIN because -- more than a year since this thread began -- this huge loophole/limitation of KSK remains: there is no way to block the built-in Google App using KSK.

(To be clear, this is referring to the icon in the app drawer labeled simply "Google", which is a way to search the Internet, something that I don't want to be available on the child's device.)

16 months ago, Kaspersky Support wrote me about this: "Your request was escalated to our developers, a bug issue was created. Unfortunately we do not have any resolution-related information yet." But this glaring hole in the product remains and I have never heard anything back from them.

I am hoping that Kaspersky will address this big problem already and/or that someone in this forum can suggest a reliable way to completely block the use of the built-in Google App on an Android device (other than the unreliable "App Lock" app).

Thank you,

JR

• 4 weeks later...

The AppLock work-around solution is just a joke, any third party locking app without device admin can be easily uninstalled. 

KSK appears completely powerless under the impact of the Google App bug/limitation, reduced to being useless.

Rooting the device may be the last option, but it comes with significant risks.

If the problem cannot be resolved, I will definitely not renew the subscription after it expires.

• 2 weeks later...

Having the same issue, was very hopefuly about the KSK app for our sons new android phone but without the ability to block the google app, all that needs to be done is to use the phone when it's in a blocked state from time restrictions and the google app is right there on the blocked state screen with no way to remove it and gives unfettered access to the web without any content filtering.