Dual user on MacOS (Sonoma) - err_connection_refused bug

Since installing Kaspersky Premium on my MacBook Pro (Sonoma), I've noticed an issue with the internet connection. My MacBook Pro has two user accounts. After restarting, user1 (the admin) can use the internet normally, and so can user2. However, when I switch back to user1, everything stops working. No apps function, and Chrome displays "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED." I've uninstalled Kaspersky, but the issue still persists. I tried reaching Kaspersky technical support, but they conveniently claim it's not their responsibility. I think Kaspersky changed some config files that block access when I alternate users but haven't removed them during uninstallation. Has anyone experienced something similar? I'm keen to hear any hints about how to resolve this, as I think I am left on my own to fix it.

2 hours ago, tra2024 said:
  • Since installing Kaspersky Premium on my MacBook Pro (Sonoma), I've noticed an issue with the internet connection.
  • My MacBook Pro has two user accounts.
  • After restarting, user1 (the admin) can use the internet normally, and so can user2.
  • However, when I switch back to user1, everything stops working. No apps function, and Chrome displays "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED."
  • I've uninstalled Kaspersky, but the issue still persists.
  • I tried reaching Kaspersky technical support, but they conveniently claim it's not their responsibility.
  • I think Kaspersky changed some config files that block access when I alternate users but haven't removed them during uninstallation.
  • Has anyone experienced something similar? I'm keen to hear any hints about how to resolve this, as I think I am left on my own to fix it.

Hello @tra2024

Welcome!

1. Just so we have a clear understanding please, after *uninstalling* Kaspersky - the issue: with user1 "everything stops working. No apps function, and Chrome displays "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED", continues, that's with no Kaspersky software installed? 
  2. Did Kaspersky support say *whos* responsibility it was? 
  3. When investigating, did Kaspersky support request any logs, traces OR other data? 
  4. Please post the incident reference number for the request logged with Kaspersky support - it's prefixed with INC000*
  5. Has User1 been deleted & re-created? 
  6. Flush DNS, follow these steps:

a.  Open the Terminal window
b. Type:
sudo dscacheutil -flushcache; sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Please post back? 
Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
grammar

1. Yes, unfortunately. The issues began the day I installed Kaspersky Premium and have continued since, regardless of whether I uninstall Kaspersky or keep it on. When I say "nothing is working," I primarily mean internet access via a few apps and websites through Chrome/Firefox.
2. Did Kaspersky support say whose responsibility it was? Yes, they want Apple to investigate first, as the issue persists even if Kaspersky is uninstalled. It's not unreasonable, but I strongly feel it's coming from Kaspersky, as the problems started the day I installed it.
3. When investigating, did Kaspersky support request any logs, traces, or other data? No, they want Apple to investigate first.
4. INC000016459246
5. Has User1 been deleted and recreated? No, that's my main account where I keep a lot of files, and I did not want to experiment with it. Should I try that?
6. I've done it. I think it affected some behavior. Namely, I can access some websites, such as amazon.com, but still cannot access others like gmail.com or dropbox.com.

Any help or hints on where to look for a fix would be greatly appreciated. Currently, it's very hard to use my computer.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tra2024 said:
  • Yes, unfortunately. The issues began the day I installed Kaspersky Premium and have continued since, regardless of whether I uninstall Kaspersky or keep it on. When I say "nothing is working," I primarily mean internet access via a few apps and websites through Chrome/Firefox.
  • Did Kaspersky support say whose responsibility it was? Yes, they want Apple to investigate first, as the issue persists even if Kaspersky is uninstalled. It's not unreasonable, but I strongly feel it's coming from Kaspersky, as the problems started the day I installed it.
  • When investigating, did Kaspersky support request any logs, traces, or other data? No, they want Apple to investigate first.
  • INC000016459246
  • Has User1 been deleted and recreated? No, that's my main account where I keep a lot of files, and I did not want to experiment with it. Should I try that?
  • I've done it. I think it affected some behavior. Namely, I can access some websites, such as amazon.com, but still cannot access others like gmail.com or dropbox.com.

Hello @tra2024

Thank you for posting back & the information!

1. Has Apple been contacted at all?  
  2. For User1, only do that if you have a full *verified* backup & if you're not sure please consult Apple to assist you - this step is out-of-scope for Kaspersky. 
  3. (ioo) Gmail & Drop-box will be associated with User1 profile, so may not rectify until the issue with User1 is resolved. 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋