Dell, Inspiron 17 7000, Windows 10, crashes since download of Kaspersky

dee_emm
Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

Started right after download. Not terribly computer literate. But this is the first times (20 in 2 days) I've seen the blue screen of death. And a stopcode that flashes by too fast to catch it (bddci.sys but it's supposed to be 0x-something, no?). I will uninstall Kaspersky if I have to, but do I really have to???

10 minutes ago, dee_emm said:

Started right after download. But this is the first times (20 in 2 days) I've seen the blue screen of death. And a stopcode that flashes by too fast to catch it (bddci.sys but it's supposed to be 0x-something, no?).

Hello @dee_emm

Welcome!

1. Is there any other AV or security software installed? 
  2. What is the Windows OS full version number, use this guide: How to find the OS version?
  3. Where is Kaspersky Free being downloaded from, share the URL with us please? 

Please post back?

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
added: full version number
  • Like 1

Adaware is running second fiddle. Windows 10 21H2 OS build 19044.2251
Started here: The 9 Best Free Antivirus Software of 2022 (lifewire.com) which went to here:
Free Antivirus Software 2022 for all Devices | Kaspersky

BTW I did just uninstall it, and so far no crashes (fingers crossed). Something is interfering but I am no geek (to say the least), sadly. CAN re-install if I can figure it out.

Edited by dee_emm

• Solution
35 minutes ago, dee_emm said:
  • Windows 10 21H2 OS build 19044.2251 || USA/Kaspersky Free
  1. Adware is running second fiddle.
  2. BTW I did just uninstall it, and so far, no crashes (fingers crossed). Something is interfering but I am no geek (to say the least), sadly. CAN re-install if I can figure it out.

Hello @dee_emm

• Thank you for posting back & the information!
  • For a non-geek geek you're doing really well?
  1. Not sure if you're referring to Malwarebytes Adware, but, bottom-line, no second fiddles; it's not possible to run Kaspersky real-time & other AV/security software at the same time, without experiencing issues similar to what you're reporting; Kaspersky requires dedicated access to system resources to run correctly - so do other similar AVs - they don't play nice if they have to share. 
  2. IF by "it", you mean you uninstalled the Adware software -> great, well done. IF you mean Kaspersky, we are not sure what you're getting at, please clarify? 
  3. Confirm please, has Bitdefender software ever been installed on the Dell? 
  4. Which Kaspersky version & patch is installed, on the Windows taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select About

Please post back?

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Modified 2 & added 3 & 4

No, had it right and it's the top -- nope, second -- one in the recommended link I sent: Adaware. It is known for its ability to play second fiddle, and when I found the install info it announced to me that's what it was doing. So Kaspersky, then, IS the issue! And interestingly since I uninstalled it my computer has not blued its screen of death at me once.

When I went to 'Kaspersky' on my computer's start menu, and opened the icon, too, back when I had it, it only said Kaspersky Free. Top left where it's supposed to say what version (I read and followed all the Don't Post Until You Get Your Info Down stuff first). And since I'm in the Free section of the Kaspersky forum, I thought that was a given. All I can see now is non-California when I pretend to download it again.

Bitdefender? Nope. I DID have some McAfee tag on from MS, and I had used TrendMicro for $$$ I got tired of paying, plus they blocked documentaries, but even Kaspersky said that was all removed.

So if I kill the Adaware and reinstall Kaspersky, will I still have crashes, I wonder? Am going to bed; be back tomorrow to see if this helps. Really appreciate your help, Flood & Flood's Beloved!

Edited by dee_emm
Added info that might be relevant.

30 minutes ago, dee_emm said:
  1. Adaware, not MBA. 
  2. When I went to 'Kaspersky' on my computer's start menu, and opened the icon, too, back when I had it, it only said Kaspersky Free. 
  3. (I read and followed all the Don't Post Until You Get Your Info Down stuff first).
  4. And since I'm in the Free section of the Kaspersky forum, I thought that was a given.
  5. All I can see now is non-California when I pretend to download it again.
  6. Bitdefender? Nope.
  7. So if I kill the Adaware and reinstall Kaspersky, will I still have crashes, I wonder?

Hello @dee_emm

• Thank you for posting back & the information!
  1. Thank you for confirming.
  2. The front Kaspersky GUI does not show the version/patch information. 
  3. In Read before you create a new topic! by Danila T. dot point 2. has the guide: How to find the name and the version number of a Kaspersky application
  4. Being in the Kaspersky Free section does not provide the version or patch info. 
  5. We see both California & non-California.
  6. Good.
  7. We don't know, it's impossible to determine without analyzing system logs - that cannot be done in the Community, due to Community Privacy rules that exist to protect all users *but* that doesn't stop you looking at the Windows Event viewer; if the issue has been going on for 20 days, start from there & if you're going to re-install Kaspersky, we'd recommend fully uninstalling the Adaware software, followed by shutting down, using Shutdown, not Restart, power on with the power button, login, proceed with Kaspersky, using How to install the application, as a guide. 

Please share the outcome, with the Community, when it's available please? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Amended 5
  • Like 1

We'll see if it is solved; not going there quite yet! McAfee site advisor was actually McAfee web advisor, but I hunted the offender down and killed it. Gone, and Kaspersky agrees. Adaware decided to change my password, effectively locked me out (green input button flashed) so I happily uninstalled that freebie anti-sanity thang.

There is still no cute little icon telling Kaspersky version or patch or anything else -- tho I read Windows 10 might require some sort of patch to function OK.  Somewhere. If I run into trouble and can't find it if needed I will uninstall and try another freebie AV. Or come here and cry further.

I did follow instructions as advised (much thanks, Flood/ Beloved of Flood!). It's been ten minutes and no crash, no blue screen of angry death tossed at me, yet. ? Will update later. Thanks again!

Edited by dee_emm
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, dee_emm said:
  1. There is still no cute little icon telling Kaspersky version or patch or anything else
  2. Windows 10 might require some sort of patch to function OK.

Hello @dee_emm

You're most welcome! 

It sounds as if you've made progress! Well done?

Just so we keep our sanity & to put us out of our misery, open the Kaspersky Free app, on the lower left-hand corner > select the head (wearing a headset) icon, which is next to the Settings⚙icon, the Support window will open, the third line shows the Operating system information & the fifth line shows the Version information, please share both with us?

Thank you?
Flood?+?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dee_emm said:

I hovered and saw only "Support" and did not realize THIS is where the build stuff is! Thank you. (I took two other pics to prove to you it wasn't there and ... um, thanks again.)

1 hour ago, dee_emm said:

Also, in my version it's just the headset (which upon hoverage shows "Support"). In case anyone else who is newb/ungeek gets this far.

Hello @dee_emm

You're most welcome!

In the original version, the head (wearing a headset) icon looks like a 50s rocker with a very bad hairstyle, it's a good thing Kaspersky have changed it; we're glad you found it, well done & thank you for sharing with the Community?

Flood?+?

?
  • Like 1