Win 10 unwritable folders

terra3

No idea if related to KTS, but in trying to write a file today to a folder on my system during a legitimate software install (a sampled piano library), I get the message that I've chosen a folder that cannot be written to.  Thinking maybe a burp of some sort (though starting to get worried) I revert back to the default folder that the software installer would use and . . . same issue.

I choose any folder on my system and same thing.  All my folders are unwritable by this.  I can copy or move files into these folders from other places in my directory structure.

Any idea what is going on??  I am for once completely lost as to what the hell is going on.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, terra3 said:

No idea if related to KTS, but in trying to write a file today to a folder on my system during a legitimate software install (a sampled piano library), I get the message that I've chosen a folder that cannot be written to.  Thinking maybe a burp of some sort (though starting to get worried) I revert back to the default folder that the software installer would use and . . . same issue. I choose any folder on my system and same thing.  All my folders are unwritable by this.  I can copy or move files into these folders from other places in my directory structure. 

Any idea what is going on??  I am for once completely lost as to what the hell is going on?

Hello @terra3

Welcome back!

1. Any sampled piano library error messages - look in the KTS Reports? 
  2. IF KTS is exited - on the Windows Taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select EXIT, does the issue persist? 
  3. What is the name of the sampled piano library software please? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Modified 1

Hi there and thankj for the timely response . . . . 

I've paused the program and it persists.  I'll try closing the program and see.

The software is from VI Labs . . . . a very legit company . . . particular software is their ModernU piano samples. 

Very complex install from these folks.  Download an installer exe, then jumping between that and iLok protection, and finally back into that exe to install basically a rar file that will be expended with a hefty collection of samples.

I'm wondering more and more if an issue with their software.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, terra3 said:

I've paused the program and it persists.  I'll try closing the program and see.

The software is from VI Labs . . . . a very legit company . . . particular software is their ModernU piano samples. 

Very complex install from these folks.  Download an installer exe, then jumping between that and iLok protection, and finally back into that exe to install basically a rar file that will be expended with a hefty collection of samples.

I'm wondering more and more if an issue with their software.

1 minute ago, terra3 said:

The issue comes up during the writing of the rar file.

Hello @terra3

You're most welcome!

Thank you for posting back & the information.

1. IF the issue persists after KTS has been exited, it's unlikely to be KTS. 
  2. Are there any errors in the KTS reports, that are related to the software? 
  3. Possibly read their FAQ, troubleshooting DB? 
  4. Contact their support
  5. IF you think Kaspersky is the root cause, contact Kaspersky support: select either Chat or Email, then fill in Application malfunction, Other template; support may request logs/traces & other data; they will guide you. 

Please share the outcome, with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Well, I exited the program and the problem persisted.

In Win 10 there is something called 'controlled folder access' that multiple searches had directed me to . . . an ON/OFF setting, but regardless of whether KTS on or exited, a window pops up indicated "IT admin prevents access . . . " and I'm absolutely lost.

In checking KTS logs, the install program was a 'low restriction' and I moved to Trusted.  Still no difference.

At this point, waiting on a response from the supplier of this software.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, terra3 said:

Well, I exited the program and the problem persisted. 

In Win 10 there is something called 'controlled folder access' that multiple searches had directed me to . . . an ON/OFF setting, but regardless of whether KTS on or exited, a window pops up indicated "IT admin prevents access . . . " and I'm absolutely lost. 

In checking KTS logs, the install program was a 'low restriction' and I moved to Trusted.  Still no difference.

At this point, waiting on a response from the supplier of this software.

Hello @terra3,

Thank you for posting back & the information.

IF KTS has automatically assigned Low restricted, it may be due to the installation not being complete or it may be due to something else, if Kaspersky was involved, changing to Trusted should have shown a positive result?

Have you tried creating an exclusion for the ModernU files? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

My final post for now on this until I talk to this company.

This is getting odd.  I re-reinstalled this installer mutiple times and tried to write to a known 'good' folder that I can write files to no problem with other software or manually myself.  Each time it begins the install of this larger rar file, then at some point halts wiht this message.  Odd is that while its doing so, I'm going into windows explorer and watching the file being written into the folder and increasing in size.

I need to talk to these folks about this. 

Thanks again for the discussion on this.  Perplexing as hell.

• Like 1