Want to set up outbound notifications for internet access from apps, but have a specific question

Hi!

I have set up my new computer, and have installed Kaspersky in default mode. I have not changed any options thus far. All the apps and processes that I am happy with, are already listed in the trusted department and have outbound internet access. I'd like to leave that as is.

What I am trying to work out is if I can set the firewall up to notify me only if any NEW apps not already on the list try to access the net, i.e. outbound. This was one thing I loved about Avira (but hated everything else) as that was so easy to do, I just chose an option to notify me on new apps, it took seconds. All the apps that had already accessed the net and created allowed rules automatically, I never received pop ups for, but any new app I installed that would try to connect to the net, popup. This is what I want. This is why I have allowed it to operate for a few days to create automatic trust rules for all the basic OS stuff and basic apps I have already installed. But there ARE plenty of audio plugins and other apps I do NOT want phoning home once I start installing my games and music software. I would like a popup to decide on a per app basis, nice and easily.

I really hope Kaspersky can do this as I am in love with this AV more than any other I have ever used, overall.

The system has barely taken any performance hit and I feel truly protected from malware. Game performance is not affected either. All is great. Happiest I have been with an AV suite in the longest time.

But I haven't been able to work it out for myself, as it's also a very complex program with tons of options.

An easy to follow guide how to do this would be incredibly appreciated!!!

• Like 1

I think I worked it out.

I have to uncheck perform actions automatically in options

then in the firewall application control, there is an option at the top to globally choose "ask" for internet connections.

However, if I choose this, all the apps current green, allowed, also go to ask. This is what I wanted to avoid. But I think I just have to go to them one by one and choose "allowed" and then anything new in the future will ask me for permission. Does that sound about right? Can I group choose allowed by selecting multiple apps? I can SELECT multiple apps by holding down shift click but if I try choose allow/deny etc, it clicks back to highlighting only one app for me to affect with changes.

• 2 months later...

It absolutely amazes me that in 2023 Kaspersky still haven't updated this and have left the outbound notification settings as archaic as they were a decade ago. it's either all or nothing, you can't just be notified when an app tries to access the internet, you are notified and have to approve every single action it makes, every registry change, every folder access, EVERYTHING.

Kaspersky programmers, please, try Glassware firewall, and the simple "ask to connect" option. They have nailed it, much like Little Snitch did on Mac. The only way they could make it even better is to add an "allow now" option as well as the "allow", in case you want an app to have internet access in only specific ocasions. That said, it is SO easy to control with one click in Glasswire that I can understand why they didn't find the need.

Overall, Glasswire is a masterclass on how you do an outbound INTERNET CONNECTION firewall prompt.

Simple and I am actually considering either disabling kaspersky firewall and buying glasswire, as long as Kaspersky will work with it, or going back to Malwarebytes and using glasswire with that.

I can't believe I am the only one that wants simple control over what accesses the internet, but it seems that way since not a single soul answered besides myself LOL. No wonder Kaspersky don't bother.

But then again, the market is there, as the successful glasswire shows, so people do want it, and I suspect they try kaspersky and just move on when they realise how complex this one thing is, that should really be simple.

On 11/19/2023 at 2:06 AM, Bav said:

It absolutely amazes me that in 2023 Kaspersky still haven't updated this and have left the outbound notification settings as archaic as they were a decade ago. it's either all or nothing, you can't just be notified when an app tries to access the internet, you are notified and have to approve every single action it makes, every registry change, every folder access, EVERYTHING.

Kaspersky programmers, please, try Glassware firewall, and the simple "ask to connect" option. They have nailed it, much like Little Snitch did on Mac. The only way they could make it even better is to add an "allow now" option as well as the "allow", in case you want an app to have internet access in only specific ocasions. That said, it is SO easy to control with one click in Glasswire that I can understand why they didn't find the need.

Overall, Glasswire is a masterclass on how you do an outbound INTERNET CONNECTION firewall prompt.

Simple and I am actually considering either disabling kaspersky firewall and buying glasswire, as long as Kaspersky will work with it, or going back to Malwarebytes and using glasswire with that.

I can't believe I am the only one that wants simple control over what accesses the internet, but it seems that way since not a single soul answered besides myself LOL. No wonder Kaspersky don't bother.

But then again, the market is there, as the successful glasswire shows, so people do want it, and I suspect they try kaspersky and just move on when they realise how complex this one thing is, that should really be simple.

How much is Glasswire paying you? /j

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2023 at 4:50 AM, Crylune said:

How much is Glasswire paying you? /j

Nothing, fool. I paid them, 30 euros for a one year one seat license.

Don't accuse someone of something without proof, or better yet, try it yourself, enable the one click "ask to connect" option, then try replicate it in kaspersky. I spent hours on this in Kaspersky and there was no way to enable a simple ask to connect to net option for apps, i.e. an outbound firewall notification. It's ridiculous, hence, I searched for solutions.

Now grow up, and stop sucking mummy's thumb.

14 minutes ago, Bav said:

Nothing, fool. I paid them, 30 euros for a one year one seat license.

Don't accuse someone of something without proof, or better yet, try it yourself, enable the one click "ask to connect" option, then try replicate it in kaspersky. I spent hours on this in Kaspersky and there was no way to enable a simple ask to connect to net option for apps, i.e. an outbound firewall notification. It's ridiculous, hence, I searched for solutions.

Now grow up, and stop sucking mummy's thumb.

Chill out and notice the /j which signifies a joke.

I am able to get notified of outbound connection attempts by smply disabling Perform recommended actions automatically in Kaspersky under Settings -> Security settings -> Exclusions and actions on object detection then setting any app in the Firewall or any group in Intrusion Prevention to "Ask user".

That's how I have mine set up as I'd like to be modified of any low trust application's network activity.

Edited by Crylune
Grammar

5 hours ago, Crylune said:

notice the /j which signifies a joke.
Chill out 

@Crylune,
Not everyone may OR should have to know your shorthand to interpret your replies - which *you* may think are funny - far better you think very carefully about what the Kaspersky Community member needs before posting. 

@harlan4096 appropriately replied to @Bav, why did you feel compelled to also reply, with a relpy, that, (ioo) was & is offensive.

& telling someone to 'chill out' when they're already offended is like waving a red rag at a bull. 

The Kaspersky Community Forum, was created for the purpose of resolving issues encountered while using Kaspersky products, not for making "jokes" & not at the expense of other Community users. 

IF we had made those comments & got the very understandable response from @Bavwe'd be grovelling for his forgiveness. 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
grammar
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, there you go again, berating me for someone else's short temper. Classic.

It was an obvious joke either way, not my fault he lacks reading comprehension. And no jokes allowed? What is this place, some sort of dystopia where fun is outlawed?

I'd like to make a request to you. Stop talking to me or replying to my posts. I'm getting closer to giving up on this place every day because of you.

Edited by Crylune

@Flood and Flood's wife I admired the wonderful, succinct, and step-by-step instructions you provide here on the forum, thank you :) 

@Bav I know exactly what you're saying, and I may take @harlan4096 advice and fill out a feedback ticket for this option as well. I have 7 devices in my home office network, 4 of which have Kaspersky Plus installed, and the other 3 with a different AV that use Windows firewall. I use the Glasswire free version on my main PC, as to monitor those first-time outbound connections. So I know what you're saying, otherwise, I would probably use Kaspersky on that PC as well, as per your first post feedback. Just a simple pop-up option to notify, and then allow/deny outbound connections would be wonderful.

And thank goodness in v21.15 allows a search within the app itself, it comes in handy in finding a feature or setting I'm looking for :)

Kind regards.

Edited by jonny quest
  • Thanks 1