US Government Ban on private use of Kaspersky anti-virus

Go to solution Solved by MedvedevUnited,

Longtime multiple licenses user, somewhat disappointed -

Kaspersky should have at least sent an e-mail out to all of its US users about the specific stance it will adopt to this issue.

Posting a generalized, corporate speak "we are aware of this..." and so on, past 48 hours in seems a little defeatist.

Meanwhile all the competitors have updated their presence all over to entice customers of Kaspersky to switch over.

Certainly more effort on the competitors part since Thursday. Kaspersky should have been in front of this right away.

If there is some strategy on Kaspersky's part I certainly don't need to know any specifics. 

But if Kaspersky is indeed set on surviving this, communication would go a long way to keep the customer base positive.

• Like 1

I'm going to wait a bit to see what the fallout looks like.  There are many scenarios yet to be played out. No need to speculate with the lack of knowledge we all seem to have on the situation.

• Like 1

Good choice.  Apparently senility is contagious.  I'm 75, been using KAV since it came out.  I was hoping the dementos fog wouldn't reach to Colorado, but apparently it's being flown in with H5N1 vectors.  At any rate, I came here to find out why I have a California download available but not a US since, in the US, practically, California is not attached to anything.  Didn't know about the dementia-elosi-lensky outbreak at the Department of Commerce.  Explains the choices.  Downloaded the Global and the California and they have different filenames and sizes, by 100k no less.  Presumed the extra 100k was languages but it turns out California is the larger one.  My normal paranoidity presumes so Google can embed privacy breaking products, but that's just me.  I do note, that since Google is now embedded in the website and other platform downloads, I should grow curious as to whether the Department of Commerce feels it's powerful enough to instruct Google to not download Kaspersky products or provide information on it's webpages, or hcaptcha security checks and, thus, cut Google's profit margins.  If Kaspersky lawyers were used to US current insanity they would ask Google to sue for interference with global and interstate commerce .  Court battle would be quick since Google doesn't hesitate to bribe judges. 

Anyway, after the above stream-of-consciousness.  Anyone know if it's possible to download KAV products for android, mac, linux, and windows off the Google platform and onto something like fDroid? 

Edited by kav_login.gloss443
spell & punctuation

7 hours ago, kav_login.gloss443 said:

Anyway, after the above stream-of-consciousness.  Anyone know if it's possible to download KAV products for android, mac, linux, and windows off the Google platform and onto something like fDroid? 

No. Because on FDroid are only best apps which are open source :classic_smile:.

But i use Aurora store (it is like google play store) all apps available for download in google play store is also in aurora store. They use same source for downloading apps like google play. So for example if exists update for Facebook app in google play it will be also in aurora store (same source). You should try it (you dont need google account in aurora store) simply login click anonymous.

I dont have google account linked in my phone.

• Like 2

Normally VPNs skip this type of situation, I don't think there are any problems with that.
The real problem is that you will not be able to buy it from the US, an alternative is that for example you buy it from Canada, Mexico, etc. You may want to consider activating the product by going through one of these countries to avoid unwanted censorship.

I have been using Kaspersky since 2002, and I have full confidence in their product and staff, greetings.

• Like 1

I think the political part of the conversation is not as important as what happens next. Rules of the house have changed, and whether I like or not I will have to comply (part of the perks of live in society) What I haven't read so far is what are the alternatives to current customers with long term licenses. As it stands Today, we will not able to use the product after the cut, and it is not hard to figure out will be the case for a while. Hopefully the information is going to get out soon, as migrating to other products will take time and money. Still, it is a shame we cannot use the product considered the industry leader in the field, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

Since Kaspersky will no longer be allowed to provide signature updates needed for effective anti-virus protection after 12:00 am ET on September 29, 2024, will subscribers receive a pro-rated refund for their subscription beyond that date?

• Like 1

I've used Kaspersky for years and agree with a majority of the comments made here.

Like it or not, the Final Determination was issued under the authority granted in Executive Order (EO) 13873, “Securing the Information and Communications Technology and Services Supply Chain.”

You should know the prohibitions will take effect in two stages.

Beginning 12:00 am ET on July 20, 2024, Kaspersky will be prohibited from entering into any new agreement with US persons involving one or more of the transactions identified above.

Beginning 12:00 am ET on September 29, 2024, Kaspersky and any of its successors or assignees will be prohibited from:

• Providing any anti-virus signature updates and codebase updates associated with the ICTS transactions identified above; and
  • Operating the Kaspersky Security Network (KSN) in the United States or on any US person's information technology system.

The Final Determination imposes a prohibition globally on Kaspersky concerning its provision of specified products and services to any US person. It is important to note that this prohibition does not expose the users of Kaspersky’s products to the risk of civil or criminal penalties. Specifically, US persons will not face enforcement actions by the Department for the continued use of Kaspersky products obtained prior to the issuance of the Final Determination. However, US persons are advised to seek alternative products, as Kaspersky will no longer be allowed to provide signature updates needed for effective anti-virus protection after 12:00 am ET on September 29, 2024. Further, while US persons may continue to use Kaspersky products after the effective date, they should consider whether the continued use of Kaspersky products would breach their cybersecurity insurance policies or subject them to negligence claims in the event of a cybersecurity incident.

In short, you can continue to use Kaspersky but you'll not receive any updates.

Hello @CoachDave2001, welcome.

First of all: I am not speaking on behalf of Kaspersky, I do not know which regulation they will find.

But for me, as a user like you, the question is: who is responsible for you no longer being able or allowed to use the product? That party should also be responsible for reimbursing the costs...

• Like 5

On 6/22/2024 at 6:21 AM, MedvedevUnited said:

We will keep you informed.

Good, but how, exactly?

From what I can find, Kaspersky's first official response appears to have been a post on the social-media-formerly-known-as-Twitter.  My network blocks social media, so that's not an option for me.  Kaspersky's second official response appears to have been a press release on kaspersky.com/about/press-releases .  I would have expected Kaspersky to email something official like that to all Kaspersky US customer addresses on file, but mine has been silent since renewal.  Kaspersky's third official response appears to have been in this users' topic in the user forum.  That's all I could find

So, would you please tell me, what will be the best, earliest way for US customers to receive official information from Kaspersky?  I wish to not have to scour the whole Web every day to see if Kaspersky dropped a new info nugget somewhere that I hadn't found yet.  Email would be my first choice, press release second choice, this topic on this forum third choice (hopefully pinned), some other topic somewhere else in this forum fourth choice (hopefully pinned), and social media my absolute last choice.

I hope Kaspersky finds a way for us to remain customers.  They have protected my multi-device home network perfectly for many years, and I still believe them to be the best.  But if this turns out to be impossible, then I hope as a final service to loyal customers, Kaspersky will at that time help inform our choice of which competitor Kaspersky would switch to if Kaspersky were a customer in our situation.

Thank you.

The ban is going to affect all of us U.S. customers.   I just paid a bunch of money to renew my subscription and now you are banned from selling your product in July and updates will be banned after that.

"US businesses and consumers will be blocked from buying new software from Kaspersky starting on or around July 24, 2024, 30 days after the restrictions are scheduled to be published in the federal register. Current users will still be able to download the software, resell it, and download new updates for 100 days, which Reuters says will give affected users and businesses time to find replacement software. Rebranded products that use Kaspersky's software will also be affected."

2 questions:  How long have you known about the investigation and not informed your users in the U.S.?  When can we expect a refund? 

• Like 1

I'm in the UK, How can they ban you installing something on your PC? There are other Russian AV's? Ar they banned too?

I think this, coming from US and Microsoft who I'm sure you all trust is almost comical?

2 minutes ago, krolt said:

I'm in the UK, How can they ban you installing something on your PC? There are other Russian AV's? Ar they banned too?

I think this, coming from US and Microsoft who I'm sure you all trust is almost comical?

You can install in USA but updates you will not receive. I think they disabled servers which your anti-virus connects to the servers for downloading updates... 

One solution is maybe use a VPN... 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, krolt said:
  1. How can they ban you installing something on your PC?
  2. I'm in the UK.
  3. There are other Russian AV's? Ar they banned too?
  4. I think this, coming from US and Microsoft who I'm sure you all trust is almost comical?

Hello @krolt

Welcome!

1. Read: US Office of the Federal Register, Final Determination: Case No. ICTS-2021-002, Kaspersky Lab, Inc, a notice by the Industry and Security Bureau on 06/24/2024
  2. The UK is not impacted. 
  3. Don't know. 
  4. Agreed, altho personally, 'comical' is not the word we'd use.

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

• Like 2

• The title was changed to US Government Ban on private use of Kaspersky anti-virus

Got one question - am i still able to activate my license after September. I still got 2 more licenses pack that haven't activated. Any alternative option to activate outside of US and turn on VPN once a day to update database - troublesome, but Kaspersky is my to go for AV. Thanks

• Like 5

I want to still use kaspersky, but after 9/29, no longer update within the United States. Can I use a VPN to leave the US and update in another country? it that possible?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ltyyzl said:

I want to still use kaspersky, but after 9/29, no longer update within the United States.

1. Can I use a VPN to leave the US and update in another country? it that possible?

Hello @ltyyzl

Welcome!

1. At this point in time, Kaspersky have not made any comments about that aspect. 
  2. Also, please read the advice posted by @MedvedevUnited in: US Government Ban on private use of Kaspersky anti-virus.

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Added additional
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to US Government Ban on private use of Kaspersky anti-virus

I have been using Kaspersky on all my devices for decades. 

My recent license expires in September 2025

I hope Kaspersky will send updates on what comes next. I doubt they will be able to refund all users for remaining licenses. They are not at fault. The end users are neither. I doubt our government will reimburse us, although they should, having made this decision and giving us very little time to decide what comes next. I doubt Kaspersky will be able to fight this, but I hope I will be proven wrong.

I will never use McAfee or Norton ever again. I might try a few free versions of other AV software first. I do hope it won't come to that, but I am prepared that it might be necessary.

Just another headache to deal with

I am Japanese、 use iPhone, Android, and Windows. Unfortunately, all of these platforms are from American companies. The U.S. government is talking about banning Kaspersky, and I'm worried that it might become unusable on the three platforms I use. Japanese security software is inexpensive but of poor quality, and American software products are overpriced and not worth the money. I'm very concerned about this situation

Just discussed with support. Let's cut the chase: we will be holding the bag (As always) on this situation. It is clear to me the company policy is not going to issue any refund, and they will hold to the argument "our software will work", which is partially true as the car will start and run, but without the possibility of adding gas will eventually be no as useful or even meet the working criteria. Same on me for trusting and going long term (3 years), I learned my lesson of doing only one year contracts and moving certain services (like password managers) to either open sources or on-premise managed by me platforms. Business as usual, I would say!

• Like 1

It's not Kaspersky's responsibility to provide refunds for an unreasonable and paranoid political ban. I guess we'll have to wait and see if using a VPN will allow us to continue to get updates after September or if an unused license can be activated. They can't and won't tell us, for obvious reasons.

Assuming my VPN subscription expires in 2025 or beyond:

Would Kaspersky VPN continue to work after Sept 29?
Would USA servers continue to accept connections from my VPN client?
Would other (world) VPN servers continue to accept connections from my VPN client?