KTS upgraded two products and once completed Google Chrome started asking me to make it “my default browser”.

I have always been skeptical of utilities that upgrade programs, using them to notify me but not auto-install. With KTS, I monitored what it did, eventually finding a comfort level and authorizing it without checking.  Today it upgraded two products and once completed Google Chrome started asking me to make it “my default browser”.

It is my expectation tat KTS update applications I chose to install, not allow the installation of new programs via a guerilla install” w/o my authorizing it to do so.   I understand that many software developers use these guerilla installs to produce additional income.  When I do this manually, I can uncheck the boxes.  KTS needs to prevent the installation of any program that the user has not specifically authorized or it’s a useless feature.

1.  Settings:

Enable search for Application Updates … checked (Automatically)

Automatically download and install (unchecked)

Search for Application Updates = All Updates for known applications

2.  Defraggler (Piriform) and Notepad++ worked, Defraggler failed

3.   It is well beyond 24 hours, have attacked Software Updater section

While we are at it …. it keeps telling me that I haven’t used xxx application in yyy days so I say, yeah so what and I hide it.  But they never stay hidden … AutoCAD 2020, WinDirStat, GPU_z

Hello @Jack Naylor PE,

Thank you for posting back and the report. 

1. Which “new” programs did KTS Software Updater install without your consent ?
  2. Have you investigated why “Update for Defraggler failed”? Is Defraggler licensed? Is Defraggler being updated under the same account it was installed on? Have you tried to update Defraggler manually? 
  3. Are the 2 “updated” products (you referred to in your original post) Notepad++ & CCleaner? 
  4. The updating of Notepad++ & CCleaner (via KTS) will not cause Chrome to issue the “default browser” prompt, on the other hand, if CCLeaner was run on Chrome and all items were selected, the “default browser” setting may have been “reset”.
  5. May I have images for (AutoCAD 2020, WinDirStat, GPU_z) issue please?
  6. (imo) it is better to have: Automatically download and install updates if you do not have to accept new license agreements ☑ ticked. 

If the check box is selected, Kaspersky Total Security automatically searches for updates for installed applications and downloads and installs the available updates if this does not require your consent to new end user license agreements.

7. KTS Software Updater updates for installed applications and prompts you to download and install them.

8. Also, if KTS is licensed, have you raised the issues with Kaspersky Lab Technical Support?

Please post back?

Thank you. 

KTS Software Updater

1. As indicated in original post, Google Chrome started up immediateley after the KTS application update.    Date / time of installation according to Windows was 2 minutes before.
  2. Irrelevant.  I installed it manually after.  I am the only user.
  3.   I said there were 2 products installed, you asked which 2, I answered your question.
  4.  It showed the Chrome popup because Chrome had ***just been installed***.  It wasn’t there before, it was there after.
  5. Not relevant to question, but to get it out of the way, see attached. 
  6. For reasons very prominently demonstrated by this inquiry, I want to pre-approve every install.
  7. Exactly
  8. We only use licensed software.   But community is usually 1st stop and it also oft let’s me know what others are experiencing.