Kaspersky Secure Connection

A window has opened on my PC saying 'A new version of the application is loaded. Kaspersky Secure Connection. Install.' If I click install will I have to follow any other instructions and is it straight forward? I have read that the old application will need to be manually removed from the PC. Is this correct? I am not comfortable with doing any changes to applications, particularly Kaspersky. At one point an information box appeared saying that if I clicked off the window my application would not work correctly.

Hello Marie, Welcome! Kaspersky Home Product software, for example: Kaspersky Total Security, Kaspersky Internet Security, Kaspersky Anti_Virus, come with Kaspersky Secure Connectiоn, Kaspersky's VPN, pre-installed. Kaspersky Secure Connectiоn-VPN can also be installed as a stand alone application. If you're using other Kaspersky software, the KSC-VPN on your computer may be what already came shipped with the main product. Kaspersky software release updates will generate the type of alert you are seeing. New versions are distributed by Kaspersky to keep their software as uptodate as possible to protect us from ever present potential and real technology dangers. Along with releasing new versions, Kaspersky may also change the manner in which a product updates. That means, the way my Kaspersky software updated last time MAY have changed and the software MAY require actions I did not have to use for a previous version update. Re: "If I click install will I have to follow any other instructions and is it straight forward?" These two questions are not easy to answer categorically: Ordinarily, a software version update, once the initial "update" request is satisfied, should complete without further intervention, however, if I said, "100%, yes, no other messages will happen" is impossible (to say). Unfortunately, the same applies to answering "is it straight forward"?
  1. I always make a FULL backup before I give permission, to any software on my computer, to update.
Even tho the process may feel uncomfortable, It's better and safer to have the most recent updates/versions of all anti-virus software. AND, there's always someone here in the Community & or the Kaspersky Lab Technical Support Team who will help you with anything Kaspersky related. Best regards! **** Current KSC documentation. Kaspersky Secure Connectiоn - What is Kaspersky Secure Connection - 2019 Mar 28 ID: 13494 Establishes a secure connection, prevents your online activity from being tracked, hides your IP address and location, and transfers your data over a secure VPN channel. Checks the status of the wireless network and prompts you to turn on secure connection if the network is not secure. Recommends for which websites and apps a secure connection should be used. Use Kaspersky Secure Connection every time you connect to the internet. To keep your private information and payment credentials secure, it is particularly important to enable a secure connection when you connect to a public wireless network, shop online or use social networks, It will keep your personal data and payment credentials secure. About Kaspersky Secure Connection General information Secure Connection allows users to connect to the internet safely by encrypting all data transmitted and received through the network. It is available as a standalone solution for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android devices, and also as a part of Kaspersky Lab's flagship security solutions for home users, where it is automatically installed. Technology used in the application The solution combines Kaspersky Lab's in-house developments with an open-source Virtual Private Network technology. Servers encrypting and redirecting user traffic are located in different countries around the world, including the USA, Germany, Singapore and many others. They are provided by our partner, the software company AnchorFree, using their Hotspot Shield technology. By default, user traffic goes through the quickest virtual server available at the time, which could be located in another country. Premium users can choose a server in any of the supported countries. How it works By default, the Secure Connection application (not the traffic encryption itself) is automatically launched when the OS starts. It tracks down the potentially dangerous situations, where encryption might be needed. For example, it’s relevant fo those cases when the users connects to an unsecured Wi-Fi network or open a website that requires additional personal data protection. The app then offers to turn on a secure connection in this case. Traffic encryption only starts with clear user’s consent (for example, if they are using the Windows application, they must click “Enable protection” in the application window). Based on the user’s decision, traffic can be constantly encrypted until the user switches it off, or there is a connectivity issue. Encryption can be turned on manually or automatically, depending upon the risk of the situation. Free and premium versions The free version of Secure Connection is limited to 200 Mb of encrypted traffic per day (300 MB if the device is connected to My Kaspersky) for an unlimited number of devices and one automatically-chosen virtual server. The premium version provides unlimited traffic for five devices and a choice of several virtual servers, for a month or a year, depending on the type of your subscription. Limitations on using Kaspersky Secure Connection Kaspersky Secure Connection cannot be installed in Belarus, Oman, Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, China, and Hong Kong due to legal limitations on the use of Virtual Private Network (VPN). If you have Kaspersky Internet Security, Kaspersky Total Security or Kaspersky Security Cloud installed together with Kaspersky Secure Connection, you can’t manage Wi-Fi networks’ protection in those applications. The amount of the used secure traffic displayed in the application may differ from the amount of secure traffic actually used. This may be the case when you use a high-bandwidth connection. When the application changes the virtual server country, the secure connection may be briefly interrupted. Any data transmitted will not be protected until the secure connection has been reestablished. After purchasing a subscription, there may be a delay of several minutes before the application switches to the extended version. If your device changes the network when connecting to the Internet, the secure connection may be briefly interrupted. Any data transmitted will not be protected until the secure connection has been reestablished. Changing the virtual location when visiting banks’ or payment systems’ websites, booking websites, social networks, chats, and email websites could possibly trigger anti-fraud systems (systems intended for analyzing online financial transactions for signs of fraudulent operations). https://support.kaspersky.com/13494 +