Help: can't disable KSN

Bit555
Go to solution Solved by Bit555,

33 minutes ago, Bit555 said:

Please help, KSN / Kaspersky Security Network enabled it self, and I can't turn it off.

When I disable it, it re-enables itself upon restart.

Hello @Bit555

Welcome & apologies for the delay responding?

1. When KSN is disabled is the confirm action applied?
  2. (For our understanding) please explain more what is meant by *restart*, is KIS restarting automatically or are (you) force restarting the software, or, to put it another way, why is KIS stopped in the first place? 
  3. Which KIS version & patch(x), on the Windows taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select About?
  4. Windows OS version & build, refer:  Find OS version?

Please post back?

Thank you?
Flood?+?

1. Yes, I can see it disabled when I disable it, but it re-enables itself upon restart.
    1. Settings -> Protection -> Kaspersky Security Network -> slide to the left (disable)
    2. I can see KSN is "disconnected" under Tools -> Security -> Cloud Protection
    3. Settings -> Protection -> Kaspersky Security Network still shows a "Green Tick" unfortunately.
  2. Restart as in
    1. Shutdown Windows + Turn on the PC
    2. Restart Windows 10
    3. Exit and start Kaspersky Internet Security without restarting the PC
      1. Once it's restarted by either of these methods, KSN is active again.
  3. 21.3.10.391 (j)
  4. Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.2486)

It's very frustrating for the software to override your custom settings.

Edited by Bit555

40 minutes ago, Bit555 said:
  1. Settings -> Protection -> Kaspersky Security Network -> slide to the left (disable)

Hello @Bit555

Thank you for posting back, the information & the images!

1. After sliding the toggle switch to the left, are there any other requirements to confirm the action? 

Please post back?

Thank you?
Flood?+?

39 minutes ago, Bit555 said:

Nothing at all. When I go back to the options: I get a screen saying KSN agreement has changed. I view the agreement and decline it, so to not enable KSN. This does not seem to help.

Hello @Bit555

Thank you for posting back, the information. 

So, even if you DECLINE the agreement, KSN still enables - is that correct? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Hello @Bit555

• ?Even tho KSN is showing a green tick, when you go into KSN, is the toggle switch ON? 

KSN is cloud based, it should show disconnected, (from memory) there should be a save button, to confirm the toggle action. 

Please do the following:

1. Create a Windows System Restore Point
  2. Open KIS, select the Settings icon⚙, select Manage settings, select Export, save the KIS configuration file.
  3. Go back to Manage settings, select Restore, allow the Restore wizard to complete. 
  4. *Do not import the KIS configuration file at this stage*
  5. Shutdown the computer using Shutdown, not Restart, power on by pressing the power button, login, make sure KIS in running, check the status of KSN, IF (you) disable KSN, make sure the toggle switch & the save button are both activated? 

Please let us know the outcome? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife

2 minutes ago, Bit555 said:

This seems difficult to fix. Maybe there's an alternative. Is it possible to prevent KSN from overriding user defined firewall rules? e.g. I block an exe, then later KSN unblocks the exe. It's very frustrating. I can't trust it anymore.

Hello @Bit555

• Your best course of action is to either uninstall the existing software, saving License information only, do not check any other check boxes - then do a clean install OR log a request with Kaspersky support, so a dedicated resource can be allocated to look at it. On the support page: https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts, select either Chat or Email, then fill in Application malfunction, Other template; please include any screen images of the error & a detailed history. Support may request logs, traces & other data; they will guide you. 

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 
Thank you?
Flood?+?

Hello @Bit555

There's clearly something wrong. 
  • Your best course of action is to log a request with Kaspersky support, so a dedicated resource can be allocated to look at it. On the support page: https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts, select either Chat or Email, then fill in Application malfunction, Other template; please include any screen images of the error & a detailed history. Support may request logs, traces & other data; they will guide you. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

31 minutes ago, Bit555 said:

Not solved, KSN shows is disabled but firewall rules are still being altered by KSN.

This is frustrating.

Hello @Bit555

You're most welcome!
  • We agree it must be frustrating. There's clearly something wrong. (Your) system cannot be analysed here in the community - there's a Community privacy guideline for all Community users, that prevents requesting your system data; without your system data - no progress can be made - here in the Community -> ?Your best course of action is to log a request with Kaspersky support, so a dedicated resource can be allocated to look at it. On the support page: https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts, select either Chat or Email, then fill in Application malfunction, Other template; please include any screen images of the error & a detailed history. Support may request logs, traces & other data; they will guide you. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Modified dp *

15 minutes ago, Xzz123 said:

That is interesting. By design even if your ksn is turned on, Manually added HIPS rules will not be affected

Hello @Xzz123

Welcome!

& equally, by design even if his KSN is turned OFF, manually added HIPS rules *should* not be affected!

That's why we advised @Bit555 - There's clearly something wrong & it cannot be diagnosed here in the Community. 

He had 21.3, the problem existed, he installed 21.8, the problem went away - then the problem came back - so something changed - what was that?

Kaspersky support can help him. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

When the firewall rules were altered, the reason was "KSN Info...."

When it's removed, I don't see it, it's just gone.

I disabled "Load rules for application from Kaspersky Security Network (KSN)" but it's still affecting the user defined firewall rules.

I don't know what else to do.

• Confused 1