Got my activation code, now what should I do?

Go to solution Solved by richbuff,

I have been using Kaspersky Internet Security (with “automatic renewal” turned off) since about 2014, and I have a My Kaspersky account. My KIS for Windows 7 expires this week. From the Kaspersky website I bought KIS 2020 for 2 PCs for 2 years. I got an activation code and downloaded startup.exe (2.8 Mb file). I also got an email from Kaspersky sending me to a page where I can create a Kaspersky account (presumably a My Kaspersky account, but it doesn’t say so). Because I already have an account, I did not create a new one.

Now what do I do? My options for having KIS working again appear to be:

1. Uninstall the current KIS on both PCs, install the new version from startup.exe, and paste in the activation code;
  2. (Variant of above - install the new version without uninstalling the current version and have the installer sort out which bits to replace/delete/add;)
  3. Wait until the current KIS expires on both PCs and hope that I can then simply paste the activation code to get them both working again;
  4. Go to my My Kaspersky account, paste in the activation code there and see what happens next (what would happen next?)

NB: The email from Kaspersky about opening a Kaspersky account is worrying because maybe Options 1, 2 and 3 won’t work unless I have an account? But I already have an account. But Kaspersky doesn’t know. Should I open a new account anyway just to make sure it all works?

What I like to do is wait until about one day before licence expires, then enter new activation code.

Also, I like to disconnect from internet, uninstall old version > restart > install new version > connect to internet > make sure current activation code is applied, back up current activation code on MyKaspersky > update databases > restart > double check databases are updated again > restart again. 

What I like to do is wait until about one day before licence expires, then enter new activation code.

Also, I like to disconnect from internet, uninstall old version > restart > install new version > connect to internet > make sure current activation code is applied, back up current activation code on MyKaspersky > update databases > restart > double check databases are updated again > restart again. 

Thanks richbuff. So, I can either (a) enter the new activation code or (b) disconnect from internet uninstall the old version etc.? Or do you recommend I do all of the above?

I see here the possibility of uninstalling KIS but keeping the licence information. Is there a good reason to keep the old license number when installing a new version of KIS? I have a license number in my current KIS (expires Saturday) but for the new version I’m installing all I have is an activation code. Where do license numbers come from?

• Solution

You’re welcome. Please first make sure that both the old and new activation codes are available to you. Option 2 is usually instructed by Kaspersky Lab, but I like option 1. If you decide to go  with option 1, you don’t need to keep the old license information in your registry. 

You’re welcome. Please first make sure that both the old and new activation codes are available to you. Option 2 is usually instructed by Kaspersky Lab, but I like option 1. If you decide to go  with option 1, you don’t need to keep the old license information in your registry. 

Option 1 worked!