Can not hide icon (overlaid on top) after last Android app update

Tomas Marny

After last Android app update (i guess to 1.86.0.6) on kid's device a pop-up showed asking whether I want to activate some new setting/feature. First option was to activate it, second to keep current behavior (something with 2-finger swipe gesture???). I chose the first option. Since that time an icon in the edge of the screen is overlaid on the device screen (showing always, overlaying everything, all apps). The icon is shown in screenshot attached (marked in red - bottom left). I want to get rid of that icon because it is disturbing. Please provide me with instruction how to hide the icon. Thanks.

I tried to find app settings to disable the icon but did not succeed. Nothing happens when I tap the icon. I am using the free version of Safe Kids app.

kaspersky_2.jpg

Edited by Tomas Marny
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomas Marny said:

KSK 1.86.0.6) on kid's device. KSK icon in the edge of the screen is overlaid on the device screen (showing always, overlaying everything, all apps). The icon is shown in screenshot attached (marked in red - bottom left). I tried to find app settings to disable the icon but did not succeed. Nothing happens when I tap the icon.

• I want to get rid of that icon. 

Hello @Tomas Marny

Welcome!

1. Which Android manufacturer name please?
  2. Which OS version, refer: For Android users, how to find the version of the operating system?
  3. Instead of *tapping* the KSK icon, what happens if (you) select & hold the KSK icon - when the icon management menu opens, select Remove

image.thumb.png.35f7e55a727258a17ac5d567452d40a5.png

Please post back? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
modified text

Hi,

this is on Realme 8i, running latest OS for that device - Android 12.0 with RealmeUI 3.0. If i tap and hold the icon I can move the icon around the screen but when I release it, it will again stick to the nearest screen edge. There is no icon management menu opening after any action as this does not seem to be ordinary launcher app icon but rather some feature of KSK much like the Facebook Messenger discussion icons that one can use (these are permanent overlay too).

39 minutes ago, Brij Patel said:
  • Samsung Galaxy M31, Android 12, UI 4.1
  1. Same issue with me also, unable to remove overlaying icon.

Hello @Brij Patel,

Welcome!

• ?Is KSK Premium or Free? 

Please do the following: 

1. Sign into KSK application.
  2. Clear Cache. 
  3. Clear Data.
  4. Uninstall KSK.
  5. Shutdown / power off the Samsung, wait 5 minutes. 
  6. Power on.
  7. Login. 
  8. From Google Play Store, download new KSK installer. 
  9. ?BEFORE installing, start screen recorder & record the install & configuration process:
  10. INSTALL KSK, follow: Install the app
  11. Next follow: Configure the app for your child
  12. Recheck the ICON overlay issue - make sure it's recorded - post back please? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

On 11/23/2022 at 12:06 AM, Tomas Marny said:

After last Android app update (i guess to 1.86.0.6) on kid's device a pop-up showed asking whether I want to activate some new setting/feature. First option was to activate it, second to keep current behavior (something with 2-finger swipe gesture???). I chose the first option. Since that time an icon in the edge of the screen is overlaid on the device screen (showing always, overlaying everything, all apps). The icon is shown in screenshot attached (marked in red - bottom left). I want to get rid of that icon because it is disturbing. Please provide me with instruction how to hide the icon. Thanks.

I tried to find app settings to disable the icon but did not succeed. Nothing happens when I tap the icon. I am using the free version of Safe Kids app.

kaspersky_2.jpg

I have the same issue on my Redmi Note 10. Hold press the icon didn't do anything. I can only move it around. Why would they added new weird feature when the old version works flawlessly... 

You can disable the overlay icon when you disabled KSK Accessibility permission. But disabling accessibility permission will also disable KSK ability to restrict websites. 

Edited by Notsafeforkids

I think I just found the root cause: KSK engineers made wrong/incomplete accessibility permission. I uses KSK premium version. 

First of all, there's 2 kinds of Accessibility permission: The main permission that must be turned on for app to work properly and the "shortcut" permission to display overlay icon which function is to easily turned off and on the main Accessibility permission. 

On my Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 phone MIUI 13 OS (Android 12 based), I used Kaspersky Antivirus that also required Accessibility permission. The difference with KSK is that Kaspersky AV separated between main Accessibility permission and shortcut permission as shown in my screenshot. 

Did you see the two ugly overlay icons over there? The overlay icon for Kaspersky AV also can't be removed/turned off with the method @Flood and Flood's wife suggested, same as KSK overlay icon. However, I can remove it by turning off Kaspersky AV shortcut Accessibility permission and it won't disturb Kaspersky AV main Accessibility permission. 

As for KSK, there's only one Accessibility permission as shown in my third screenshot. The main permission merged into one with the shortcut permission, so when I turned off the shortcut permission, it will also disabled KSK main Accessibility permission, unlike Kaspersky AV. 

The solution is for KSK engineers to separate the Accessibility permission like how Kaspersky AV did it. 

Screenshot_2022-11-26-12-46-38-056_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2022-11-26-12-58-07-463_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2022-11-26-12-52-11-180_com.android.settings.jpg

Edited by Notsafeforkids
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Notsafeforkids said:

KSK premium version. || Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 phone MIUI 13 OS (Android 12 based). || Kaspersky Antivirus

I think I just found the root cause: KSK engineers made wrong/incomplete accessibility permission.

First of all, there's 2 kinds of Accessibility permission: The main permission that must be turned on for app to work properly and the "shortcut" permission to display overlay icon which function is to easily turned off and on the main Accessibility permission. 

On my Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 phone MIUI 13 OS (Android 12 based), I used Kaspersky Antivirus that also required Accessibility permission.

The difference with KSK is that Kaspersky AV separated between main Accessibility permission and shortcut permission as shown in my screenshot. 

Did you see the two ugly overlay icons over there? The overlay icon for Kaspersky AV also can't be removed/turned off with the method @Flood and Flood's wife suggested, same as KSK overlay icon. However, I can remove it by turning off Kaspersky AV shortcut Accessibility permission and it won't disturb Kaspersky AV main Accessibility permission. 

I can remove it by turning off Kaspersky AV shortcut Accessibility permission and it won't disturb Kaspersky AV main Accessibility permission. 

As for KSK, there's only one Accessibility permission as shown in my third screenshot. The main permission merged into one with the shortcut permission, so when I turned off the shortcut permission, it will also disabled KSK main Accessibility permission, unlike Kaspersky AV. 

The solution is for KSK engineers to separate the Accessibility permission like how Kaspersky AV did it. 

Hello @Notsafeforkids

Welcome!

Thank you for updating the topic. 

We've uninstalled & reinstalled Kaspersky Standard under a Kaspersky Plus subscription & uninstalled & reinstalled Premium KSK & are unable to replicate the issues; please log a case with Kaspersky support, fill in either Chat or Email, the fill in: Application malfunction, Other template, in the Description of the issue section, give a detailed history; include all screen print(s); support may request logs, traces & other data; they will guide you. 

Please share the outcome, with the Community, when it's available?

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Hi,

I did not read the previous replies yet but I got the problem on one more device - a brand new Poco M5s. Unboxed device, Android 12 + Miui 13.0.1.0 was there. Installed KSK (restored apps from old mobile via Google cloud account backup - not physically copying from old device - KSK automatically installed by Google, but I doubt any app settings was transferred). No overlay icon yet. Updated device to Miui 13.0.3.0 (2x security patch) and after device restart (and without starting KSK manually), the troubling KSK icon appeared!!! KSK has still no account configured, still clean install!

Edited by Tomas Marny

I do confirm that turning off the accessibility button does remove the icon. This button can either be turned off globally or per app. However the KSK accessibility setting seems to only contain the button and not general accessibility switch, which other apps (Microsoft Family Safety) still do have so I think KSK fretures that use accessibility may be broken now.

Screenshots attached (Czech language) - white are Poco M5s, black are Realme 8i.

Screenshot_2022-11-27-15-54-33-273_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2022-11-27-15-55-09-967_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2022-11-27-15-54-59-499_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2022-11-27-13-55-49-93_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg

Screenshot_2022-11-27-13-56-10-32_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg

• Thanks 1

PS. "Zkratka" means button (=accessibility button) in Czech.

May I ask the moderators here to file official bug with KSK product for us so that the bug will be solved for future? I filed a ticked with Kaspersky support (id is INC000014748352) for this problem but I am not sure I will have time to follow it since they wanted some more info.

On 11/28/2022 at 2:14 AM, Tomas Marny said:

PS. "Zkratka" means button (=accessibility button) in Czech.

May I ask the moderators here to file official bug with KSK product for us so that the bug will be solved for future? I filed a ticked with Kaspersky support (id is INC000014748352) for this problem but I am not sure I will have time to follow it since they wanted some more info.

Hello @Tomas Marny

Thank you for posting back & for being proactive logging INC000014748352👍

Kaspersky may need to collect data, from the device where the issue can be replicated; they will deal directly with you. IF Kaspersky believe an 'official' bug is required, they will create one, on the basis of the data collected from you. The Moderator team are unable to log a bug request on a Community members behalf. On the Samsung phones we tested the issue; we're unable to replicate the issue. 

Please keep the Community informed of the outcome, when it's available? 

& Just as FYI:  💥(ioe) KSK cannot be used in combination with Family safety or similar apps💥

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Corrected grammar 😔 Added advice re conflict.

• 10 months later...

I have this problem as well on my kids Oneplus 7 as well, he hates this floating shortcut, and there is no way to get rid of it without breaking the function of KSK as mentioned before. 

I can't see any use or point having it, why is it implemented in the first place? I agree with my son that it is terrible annoying. 

Edited by Vispen74
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vispen74 said:
  • I have this problem as well on my kids Oneplus 7 as well, he hates this floating shortcut, and there is no way to get rid of it without breaking the function of KSK as mentioned before. 
  • I can't see any use or point having it, why is it implemented in the first place? I agree with my son that it is terrible annoying. 

Hello @Vispen74

We agree we both your son & your - in our opinion - the *floating shortcut* has to be one of the dumbest things Kaspersky has ever implemented - when it was first release it drove us & our kids to despair - we've since got rid of it - we only have a miniscule KSK icon in the bottom right of the screen - it interferes with nothing, it's not intrusive at all - see image at the end of our reply

👉Read: Kaspersky has documented: Make the app shortcut less visible

👉Read the post above from @Notsafeforkids

IF the issue persists after following those, please log a request with Kaspersky Customer Service. On the support page: https://support.kaspersky.com/b2c#contacts, select either Chat or Email, then fill in Application malfunction, Other template; please include any screen images & a detailed history. Support may request logs, traces & other data; they will guide you. image.thumb.png.6291de9875e8e2dd890a48964d9b71e0.png

• Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

image.thumb.jpeg.6b085a77daea7ac8a42f10509ec7bcd1.jpeg

• 5 months later...
On 11/26/2022 at 7:05 AM, Notsafeforkids said:

I just found this menu called Accessibility button. There's an option to remove all overlay icon without turning off Accessibility permission and break the app.

Problem solved for me. 

Screenshot_2022-11-26-20-03-10-393_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2022-11-26-20-03-07-416_com.android.settings.jpg

This worked for me also I had to change it to navigation bar instead of floating on top of all apps it was super annoying especially when I was watching the video or playing a game, that was the limit, mine was due to different app I don't know what it was? but it nevertheless gone and I'm happy.... Due to this only being the only website that I've seen somebody actually give good advice I decided to join so thank you