Question about VPN on Samsung Galaxy with Mozilla and/or Chrome

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

I have premier Total Security (up to 5 devices). I successfully installed Total Security on my new Galaxy mobile. But when I looked up VPN to install on the mobile, the website routed me to the VPN app in the Google Play Store, which apparently is an android VPN version, different from what I have on my PC and Apple

When I installed VPN on the mobile, I was prompted to decide whether I wanted to use Chrome or Galaxy as the default browser. I had already set the default browser as Mozilla and it worked fine, but the VPN installation app did NOT list Mozilla.

I use Mozilla with VPN on my PC daily. In addition of the Kaspersky VPN window showing that connection is secure (slider is green), I know it is working because of the green frame around the Mozilla browser window, the same green frame when I am using Chrome.

Although I can bring up the mobile’s VPN window and see that the slider is on, I don’t see a green frame or any kind of VPN symbol or label in the Chrome and Mozilla windows. How do I know if VPN is connected for one or both browsers? Can I assume VPN is active for Mozilla even if the app did not list it during installation?

KTS 5 devices:
(1) when I looked up VPN to install on the mobile, the website routed me to the VPN app in the Google Play Store, which apparently is an android VPN version, different from what I have on my PC and Apple

(2) When I installed VPN on the mobile, I was prompted to decide whether I wanted to use Chrome or Galaxy as the default browser. I had already set the default browser as Mozilla and it worked fine, but the VPN installation app did NOT list Mozilla.

(3) I use Mozilla with VPN on my PC daily. In addition of the Kaspersky VPN window showing that connection is secure (slider is green), I know it is working because of the green frame around the Mozilla browser window, the same green frame when I am using Chrome. 
Although I can bring up the mobile’s VPN window and see that the slider is on, I don’t see a green frame or any kind of VPN symbol or label in the Chrome and Mozilla windows. 
(4) How do I know if VPN is connected for one or both browsers? Can I assume VPN is active for Mozilla even if the app did not list it during installation?

Hello @Intra
Welcome!

1. Correct, Kaspersky VPN (KVPN) for Android is distributed via the Google Play Store & Huawei app store.
  2. When KVPN is installed, it does not show a prompt for browser selection. 
  3. KVPN does not display a green border around any web browsers, not on Windows PC or  Android. A green border shows on KTS, Windows, web browsers, IF the Protected browser/Safe Money browser is active. Protected browser/Safe Money browser is available for Windows, not Android. Protected browser/Safe Money browser is a KTS feature, not KVPN. 
  4. Android, when KVPN is active, the KVPN icon, at the top of phone & or browser screen, has a tiny icon, with a tick, indicating the KVPN is active. 
  • ⚠ Note, on Android, the KTS license, installs Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) software. If you’re also using KIS, for KIS features to work, for example detecting malware links, Chrome browser is required. KIS will not check Firefox⚠
  • ❗ Note1, KVPN primary function is to hide the source IP address.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

Resources:

How to secure Wi-Fi networks with Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection for Android

How to turn on secure connection automatically for apps, websites and website categories in Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection for Android

KVPN library

KIS Internet Protection only checks websites in Google Chrome.

• Solution

Hello Floods, thank you for the reply.

1. OK, good.
  2. Hmm, I don’t think I was imagining the list to associate VPN with browser choice. Maybe it was a Galaxy prompt, not from VPN, but I guess it is not important at this point.
  3. Oh! Of course you are correct. The green border on my PC is due to Protected browser/Safe Money browser is active.
  4. I now see that there is a tiny icon I missed before that looks like an old style door key at the top, visible only when KVPN is on. There is also a tiny shield with a tick mark in it, but that is visible with or without VPN. Is the shield for KIS? There is also a padlock similar to what was in the webpage link https://support.kaspersky.com/KSDE/Android_1.35/en-US/140370.htm

So I guess I would be better off with Chrome when using KVP & KIS, yes?

Hello @Intra

You’re most welcome☺ !

Correct👌 For KVPN, there’s 2 icons, → image 1, we’ve highlighted them with a green pointer, the padlock, when KVPN is active, must have a tick✔ , and the old fashioned key.

The shield, is the KIS icon, if it’s working as designed, it will have a tick✔ → image 2, if there’s a problem, it will show an  exclamation mark❕→ image 1:

• For KIS to work to it’s full capacity, Chrome must be used
  • You may choose to use Firefox, however, KIS will not protect as it does with Chrome. 
  • For KVPN, it’s your choice, we find it’s easier to stick with Chrome, at least we know there’s full protection,  we don’t need to think about switching between Firefox & Chrome.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋