Who gave you permission to put UltraAV on my computer?

Go to solution Solved by Danila T.,

UltraAV is a POS and I'd never buy it. YOU screwed up with the United States and you think you can just install some POS on my computer and say we're even? I would buy Norton or BitDefender before having UltraAV for free. Get that POS off of my computer!

• Like 1

Hello,

As you may know, the US authorities have restricted the sales and distribution of Kaspersky products in the US, but we remain committed to providing you with the utmost cybersecurity. And as we’re forced to limit our cybersecurity products in functionality, we give you an opportunity to get a replacement security solution by our trusted partner — UltraAV.

UltraAV provides industry-leading antivirus and premium security features to keep you safe online. You can find more information about UltraAV at https://UltraSecureAV.com

• Like 1

On 9/19/2024 at 3:32 PM, User2212 said:

You did not answer my question.

Why did you use a bottom level antivirus when we paid for a Kaspersky level antivirus?

Because that's who bought the customers from Kaspersky. Must have offered Kaspersky the most money. Personally, I've never heard of UltraAV before and there is very little information about them, so I purchased from a known reputable company instead.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2024 at 2:25 PM, nexon said:

Hello, 

Welcome. 

To ensure safety it means Kaspersky is now replaced by ultra av in US. Because ban. 

And fully is automatic. I am sure you got a notification into mail or in program. 

Ultra AV sent out emails to some people after they first downloaded the software onto a Kaspersky user's computer. That's what happened with me.

As I have said before Kaspersky's notification skills stink. Despite this-

https://www.kaspersky.com/auto-renewal-service

Kaspersky auto renews subscriptions without notice. I know, they did it to me.

Pls. do not disable or replace my Kaspersky security software without my express approval.  I am running windows 7 on 3 computers and they have not had all updates installed, due to 'failure to install'. Other security software packages will not install on these computers.  Until my situation is 'corrected' I would like to continue to use Kaspersky, without receiving any updates until this US government decision is reversed.  DO NOT remove or replace my software.

12 hours ago, bigeggo said:

Pls. do not disable or replace my Kaspersky security software without my express approval.  I am running windows 7 on 3 computers and they have not had all updates installed, due to 'failure to install'. Other security software packages will not install on these computers.  Until my situation is 'corrected' I would like to continue to use Kaspersky, without receiving any updates until this US government decision is reversed.  DO NOT remove or replace my software.

To be honest, you might not get a choice. It's a government order they have to comply with, or I assume they would get fined. It's probably safe to assume that the fine amount is more than you've paid for your Kaspersky subscription, so they'll adhere to the US government requirement.

Regardless, UltraAV probably won't install on Windows 7 anyhow. If Kaspersky doesn't uninstall itself, antivirus signature and codebase updates will stop being applied starting September 30th. Any new virus that comes out after this date, Kaspersky will be unable to protect you against it.

To make matters worse...

We gave KASPERSKY our personal and financial/payment information, NOT UltraAV / Nexway!

While I'm confident that giving/selling our private/payment information to a third party breaks some laws, somewhere, it's just something you shouldn't have done, period!

I didn't ask for UltraAV, I don't want subscription auto-renewal for something I didn't ask for, and trying to change this through their site is proving to be a bit of a challenge... so thank you for that!  Seriously, thanks!

Additionally, apparently Kaspersky account logins were forwarded to UltraAV as I got an email saying to login with my "existing credentials." So, since apparently privacy and consent are out of the question... did billing get forwarded too? I can't seem to cancel my Kaspersky subscription or remove payment information through Kaspersky presently. Is UltraAV going to try to charge me when the renewal comes up? Not cool, Kaspersky, not cool.

17 minutes ago, Nate222 said:

Additionally, apparently Kaspersky account logins were forwarded to UltraAV as I got an email saying to login with my "existing credentials." So, since apparently privacy and consent are out of the question... did billing get forwarded too? I can't seem to cancel my Kaspersky subscription or remove payment information through Kaspersky presently. Is UltraAV going to try to charge me when the renewal comes up? Not cool, Kaspersky, not cool.

Yes, billing information was also given to UltraAV (Nexway), and your subscription was given to them as well... including automatic subscription renewal services.

On the UltraAV site, I was not actually able to log in using my Kaspersky credentials, so I had to click on the link to email me a one-time use login link just to be able to access my UltraAV account, but ultimately ended up having to use the "forgot my password" link to reset it to something that would work.  Once there I was able to cancel the automatic subscription renewal... but was NOT able to delete my payment information, nor change it.

Edited by S.Alanbro

Totally agree with the negative comments about Kaspersky's actions in adding unwanted software to our computers. We signed on for updates Kaspersky. Kaspersky should have asked if we wanted this software. I got nothing. It is gone from my machine all of it and replaced with more reputable antivirus Total security. 

Why wasn't our permission sought?

• Solution
12 minutes ago, UpsetUser said:

Totally agree with the negative comments about Kaspersky's actions in adding unwanted software to our computers. We signed on for updates Kaspersky. Kaspersky should have asked if we wanted this software. I got nothing. It is gone from my machine all of it and replaced with more reputable antivirus Total security. 

Why wasn't our permission sought?

Hello,

As you may know, the US authorities have restricted the sales and distribution of Kaspersky products in the US, but we remain committed to providing you with the utmost cybersecurity. And as we’re forced to limit our cybersecurity products in functionality, we give you an opportunity to get a replacement security solution by our trusted partner — UltraAV.
UltraAV will be activated under your existing subscription and login information, license duration and device coverage are carried over, and there is no price increase. There’s no effort needed from your side, and your Windows apps will update automatically – only very old Windows app versions, Android, Mac and iOS apps require manual update, which we additionally inform you about in corresponding in-app communications.

On 9/19 Kaspersky pushed a software update that enabled the transition to the UltraAV product. This update was designed for seamless transition with limited user intervention required.

Also - this is an Official Statement from Kaspersky and UltraAV on the recent update

Following the recent decision by the U.S. Department of Commerce that prohibits Kaspersky from selling or updating certain antivirus products in the United States, Kaspersky partnered with antivirus provider UltraAV to ensure continued protection for US-based customers that will no longer have access to Kaspersky’s protections.

Kaspersky and UltraAV worked closely to ensure customers would maintain the standards of security and privacy users have come to expect from their service.

UltraAV includes comparable features such as:

Industry-leading antivirus protection - Protects against malware, spyware, ransomware, adware and more

Premium VPN - Prevents your data from being intercepted, and allows you to surf the web anonymously and enjoy global content.

Password Manager - Create strong passwords, securely store them in one place, and autofill them with just a few clicks.

Identity Theft Protection - Comprehensive Identity protection including credit monitoring with real-time alerts, immediate support, and $1 million in insurance coverage

Please reference this chart to see how UltraAV delivers the high-level of security provided in your previous service.

Kaspersky has additionally partnered with UltraAV to make the transition to their product as seamless as possible, which is why on 9/19, U.S. Kaspersky antivirus customers received a software update facilitating the transition to UltraAV. This update ensured that users would not experience a gap in protection upon Kaspersky’s exit from the market.

To learn more about UltraAV, visit their website. If you have more questions about the transition, please review the frequently asked questions or contact their support team.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Danila T. said:

Hello,

UltraAV will be activated under your existing subscription and login information, license duration and device coverage are carried over, and there is no price increase. There’s no effort needed from your side, and your Windows apps will update automatically – only very old Windows app versions, Android, Mac and iOS apps require manual update, which we additionally inform you about in corresponding in-app communications.

On 9/19 Kaspersky pushed a software update that enabled the transition to the UltraAV product. This update was designed for seamless transition with limited user intervention required.

Danilla,

This canned response is getting old. Kaspersky's behavior was irresponsible for a cyber security outfit. Let's spell it out

1 New software was downloaded onto user's computers without warning

2 Log in information was shared with a third party without warning

3 Biling information was shared with a third party without warning

I could go on. Kaspersky customers in other areas of the world should be asking themselves if this company's software is worth it if they fail cyber security so badlys in their treatment of their customers.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Danila T. said:

@Bill J in Florida In accordance with the product EULA, Kaspersky has transferred its rights and obligations under the agreement, including those relating to the data processing and storage. UltraAV will continue to carry out those obligations from now on.

Where is this EULA and where in it specifically says it gives Kaspersky the right to transfer billing information or anything else.

On 9/19/2024 at 6:31 PM, User2212 said:

UltraAV is a POS and I'd never buy it. YOU screwed up with the United States and you think you can just install some POS on my computer and say we're even? I would buy Norton or BitDefender before having UltraAV for free. Get that POS off of my computer!

15 minutes ago, Bill J in Florida said:

Danilla,

This canned response is getting old. Kaspersky's behavior was irresponsible for a cyber security outfit. Let's spell it out

1 New software was downloaded onto user's computers without warning

2 Log in information was shared with a third party without warning

3 Biling information was shared with a third party without warning

I could go on. Kaspersky customers in other areas of the world should be asking themselves if this company's software is worth it if they fail cyber security so badlys in their treatment of their customers.

I'm a Kaspersky customer in the UK. It's my understanding your US govt banned Kaspersky from being able to do updates after 29th (or 30th?) September.

Wouldn't this have meant Kaspersky's only alternative would have been to uninstall or disable leaving you with ZERO protection?

I agree this could have been handled better. But equally, you must have been aware of the deadline your own administration set, which (beyond mentioning it) is presumably a topic well outside the scope of this forum.

May I ask, how would you have preferred it to have been handled for people still with Kaspersky as their only protection come that deadline, given the legal component?

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bill J in Florida said:

Where is this EULA and where in it specifically says it gives Kaspersky the right to transfer billing information or anything else.

Hello @Bill J in Florida,

As we're not sure which Kaspersky software (you) had installed, please select the correct EULA from: https://www.kaspersky.com/end-user-license-agreement

IF (you) can't access it due to the ban, post back with the name of (your) Kaspersky software & we'll upload it to cloud for you.

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Additional resource:

https://www.kaspersky.com/web-privacy-policy

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
added: https://www.kaspersky.com/web-privacy-policy

It seems the options Kaspersky had were these:

1. pull out, disable/uninstall, and automatically refund remaining payments. Result? You go online and maybe don't notice the icon's gone, BAM, bricked devices, others crawling with every bit of malware out there.

Imagine you extended your license for Great Aunt Doris and she's been doing her banking all morning, passwords flying, and now she's just sent that nice man on the phone all her bank details. Meanwhile, your doctor's wondering where all her confidential patient files went. Including the local Senator's.  "Anti-malware giant goes dark overnight, leaving customer's to face ruin."

(Refunds at scale are complex as well, especially partial ones calculated for individual customers, so some would have gone wrong leading to both genuine upset and over-dramatised headlines.)

2. nag you with pop-ups incessantly after the US administration made this decision. I can't see that going down well, "Russia-linked company bombards US customers with thinly veiled harassment after White House calls time" etc

3. try to make the process as seamless as possible for people who've chosen to ignore, throughout all of July, and all of August, that Kaspersky could no longer serve them BY LAW.

It looks like they did the latter.

It also looks like the "literal who" they've replaced their service with is the main problem, coupled with the fact they didn't introduce and talk up UltraAV for a while beforehand (couple of pop-ups and an email or two) to get people used to the idea. But that would have cost money to the company, for a situation not of their choosing.

I think if they'd made some high-profile show of graciously handing over to a big name brand it would have FELT better, like a giant stepping out the market and handing customers safely to another world leader, maybe they could even have staged a photo of CEO's shaking hands, but (other issues aside) that would have just been PR and really, meaningless.

And come the deadline, they would still have had to either force the transfer or leave customers vulnerable.

Payment details had to be transferred since "Excuse me UltraAV, will you please provide services for all these customers for free, and no, we won't give you their data, you just need to make it happen somehow" probably wasn't going to work.

I hope my country doesn't follow suit, but if they do, the responsibility to sort out a new provider will rest with me, not with Kaspersky.

Edited by Tabby
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tabby said:

It seems the options Kaspersky had were these:

..........    ........    ........ 

I hope my country doesn't follow suit, but if they do, the responsibility to sort out a new provider will rest with me, not with Kaspersky.

Hello @Tabby

Welcome back & thank you for your *input*.

One of the 'options' Kaspersky had was to be transparent - tell/warn their subscribers - 'HEY DUDE - we're pushing a TOTAL FORCE UPDATE on x date' - instead of a SILENT TOTAL FORCE UPDATE, 9 days in advance of the cutoff date, so, we also hope it doesn't happen to you, but if it does -> hopefully Kaspersky will have improved their communications & hopefully by then, you'll have read the grief expressed by many US Kaspersky Subscribers - who got the shock of their lives when their computers began to 'behave' as IF they were *infected*.

*And* - it was not only the shock, many of the subscribers couldn't easily recover their computers, many of the subscriber's *LOST WORK*, many of the subscriber's have been devoted to Kaspersky for 10, 15, 20 years - they trusted Kaspersky & they feel let down by the lack of respect. 

On the ULTRA side - all the Transition information was: You don't need to do anything at this stage

On the Kaspersky side, apart from the US ban statement & a post here & there, essentially signing off with: We're committed to keeping you informed. We'll provide information as soon as blah, blah..."

& the few *legit* emails that were filtering thru, some people thought they were spam/phishing emails. 

When someone pulls your pants down & leaves you with your a*se hanging out, we sure hope you've got a spare pair of undies in your carry-all. 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
pn
  • Like 3