US Government Ban on private use of Kaspersky anti-virus

Go to solution Solved by MedvedevUnited,

My subscriptions just renewed and I later read that Joe Biden is planning to ban the use of Kaspersky anti-virus products by the end of April.  Where did this idea get hatched and why haven't subscribers been notified?

How is this government ban going to work?  Will black SUVs suddenly show up at my business and start seizing my computers?  Will internet connections to government websites and portals be suddenly blocked?  Will Kaspersky issue work-arounds for its users?  Will Kaspersky offer refunds for subscriptions?

All good questions.

• Like 2

Hmm thats intersting country USA :classic_biggrin: they wants ban everything.

1.) This question is for Tech support

2.) This question is also for USA government or people involved in.

But personally i think you should use kaspersky in home. As far i know kaspersky cant use in US Government.

• Like 2

OK, so I write e-mails to my US Senators, Marco Rubio and Rick Scott, to get some information regarding the advertisement and docket numbers normally associated with Federal Rulemaking.  Not one minute after I pushed the "SEND" button, I started receiving e-mails from Crowdstrike (Austin, TX); Microsoft (Redmond, WA); and McAfee (San Jose, CA) advertising their AV products.  It seems to me that we might have a bigger cybersecurity risk within our own borders and we have with a company with a corporate HQ in Moscow, RU.

• Like 1

You got ads (adversting) depends on what you try to find in google obviously. Google tracking your findings and suggests you what you may like about your findings... 
For example if you search for a car via google then google will suggests you cars :classic_smile:

Edited by nexon

5 hours ago, nexon said:

For example if you search for a car via google then google will suggests you cars

also by email?

5 hours ago, MajorMike said:

Not one minute after I pushed the "SEND" button, I started receiving e-mails from ...

• 2 months later...

I plan to continue to use Kaspersky, because I don't believe my own government. The hypocrisy is amazing, considering that Microsoft just came out with an operating system that allows AI to take snapshots of everything you do and we're supposed to trust them! I'm so sick of these people.

I'm tempted to buy an additional 5 year license, but the thing that's most concerning is that I've read we won't be able to update the product or virus definitions after 100 days. I've got 2 years left and a friend has 3. Can a VPN be used to bypass these restrictions?

• Like 1

i tried to renew my sub early and got the error "You have a subscription license which cannot be renewed on usa.kaspersky.com" 😕

yes, I trust Kaspersky more than any NSA-approved US-made security software. looking to continue to use it after this nonsense too.

• Like 1

They blocked it already? That p....... off. There has to be a way around this.

I agree with you. I have no desire to use a 5 eyes NSA approved AV.

Will my proposed solution work? Use a VPN and change the Kaspersky update server in the program? Have a site for US customers to download updates and manually apply them? How would the US prevent someone from continuing to use it? Hello???

• Like 1

I’ve use Kaspersky password vault for years and have over a hundred passwords. The US is banning Kaspersky. Grrr 😡. Has Kaspersky come out with guidance on what the heck I need to do. Are they only banning new sales? Will my yearly renewal go through?  Is it going to suddenly stop working?  HELP!

• The title was changed to US user - now what?

Just read that next month, July, Kaspersky will no longer be "allowed" to sell it's products in the US. My current account is paid up until late September of this year.

Am I just going to have to stop using Kasperky? I am completely satisfied with Kaspersky and don't want to change.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep using it?

Thank you,

Richard

In the short term, I don't know. Some have suggested a VPN, but there have been no responses from Kaspersky stating whether or not this will work. I don't buy the US government's propaganda and I think it's laughable that we're supposed to believe that the Russian government cares about our surfing habits. I'm more concerned about the NSA and other 3 letter US entities. It's truly gotten scary. Please vote the dementia patient out of office. He's really not in control of anything.

6 minutes ago, CodenameJelly said:

as far as im aware the subscription doesn't start til current one runs out so you could stack one on or buy some long term codes now for use later.

This is what I thought, but after 100 days, we'll be blocked from updating virus definitions:

https://oicts.bis.gov/kaspersky/

"After 12:00 AM EDT on September 29, 2024, Kaspersky will be prohibited from providing any anti-virus signature updates and codebase updates associated with the ICTS transactions identified above; and operating the KSN in the United States or on any U.S. person's information technology system."

Not allowed Kaspersky on BYOD Devices. Can I cancel/get a refund? Lots of companies have BYOD policies and you have to agree to the terms and conditions. Unfortunately there is nothing myself as an end-user can do to reverse what is considered banned etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/jun/21/us-kaspersky-antivirus-software-ban-russia-ties#:~:text=Joe Biden's administration has banned,US over national security concerns.

• Like 1

• Solution

Dear friends,

First of all thank you for your trust and support! We understand you are insterested now mostly in answers to practical questions but we need some time to analyze the situation throully in order to provide you with more specific information. We will keep you informed. Currently it's what we can officially comment:

Kaspersky is aware of the decision by the U.S. Department of Commerce to prohibit the sales and distribution of Kaspersky software in the United States. Kaspersky believes that the Department of Commerce made its decision based on the present geopolitical climate and theoretical concerns, rather than on a comprehensive evaluation of the integrity of Kaspersky’s products and services.
While at the moment we are ensuring the fulfillment of our obligations under existing contracts and the uninterrupted work of our solutions to our users and customers in the United States, Kaspersky’s management team is currently reviewing the provisions of the Final Determination with a view to pursuing all legally available options to preserve our current operations and relationships.

The Kaspersky team is diligently working to provide further guidance and respond to the questions of our clients as quickly as possible. We intend to release additional information on the company's support website soon.

Update, July 3:

Dear friends,

Thank you for your patience and understanding! We prepared a special page at our Support website with more details about our software availability in the US:

https://support.kaspersky.com/us/faq/2024-us-sales-statement

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

On 6/20/2024 at 3:43 PM, schu said:

I plan to continue to use Kaspersky, because I don't believe my own government. The hypocrisy is amazing, considering that Microsoft just came out with an operating system that allows AI to take snapshots of everything you do and we're supposed to trust them! I'm so sick of these people.

I'm tempted to buy an additional 5 year license, but the thing that's most concerning is that I've read we won't be able to update the product or virus definitions after 100 days. I've got 2 years left and a friend has 3. Can a VPN be used to bypass these restrictions?

I also don't trust the current US government either.  I just made a post in this thread highlighting just a tiny portion of all the corruption by the current administration and other areas of the government; but, for some reason, it looks like Kaspersky deleted my comment from view, censuring basic facts from the conversation, the same way the current US government has pressured and teamed up with many social media companies to censure people.  I'm not sure why they would do that, so now I don't give a crap what happens either way.  Everyone can go to hell, on all sides.

Edited by WhyDoYouWannaKnowMyName
Clarification

This is the Kaspersky official forum to give Support to users with issues, political and other topics outside that main matter are not allowed and considered off-topic, in any way it is not censure, just the community rule that Mods (from different countries) and Admins apply 24/7/12/365 no matter the geopolitical status in the world.

Sorry for the inconveniences 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2024 at 7:42 PM, tensalmon said:

Just read that next month, July, Kaspersky will no longer be "allowed" to sell it's products in the US. My current account is paid up until late September of this year.

Am I just going to have to stop using Kasperky? I am completely satisfied with Kaspersky and don't want to change.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep using it?

Thank you,

Richard

Relocating ?