Trying to understand the web injection script and what I actually lose if I disable it

Go to solution Solved by Schulte,

Hi, I stopped using Kaspersky a few years ago because of the script and slowing my internet down, but when I bought a new laptop in 2021 the store gave me a card with a year of total security, so I tried it again, and the same issue occurred even though this was a much more powerful machine (8 core 11th gen/32Gb ram/RTX 3070/Win 10 Home/Wi-Fi 6 but router was still Wi-Fi 5), so I uninstalled it AGAIN.

This time I have just bought the most powerful computer of my life (13980HX 24 core/64GB ram/RTX 4090/Win 11 Pro/MSI GT77) and have updated to the ISP's latest Wi-Fi 6 router, and SAME THING! I am convinced there is no way to avoid the delay when you press enter to go to a site or delay on every single link you click when Kaspersky script is enabled.

It really does impact someone like me who is used to instant response to my actions.

The problem is, after hours of searching, there is no definitive answer to what I want to know.

And yes, in the meantime, I have bought a 2 year license of Kaspersky standard, this is my first day so I am writing this nice and early.

I have already spent a few hours learning the incredibly complicated program that it is, but I always trusted Kaspersky more than any other AV. The reason for this is that the protection is simply class leading, and I love having a proper 2 way firewall, webcam/mic access detector and AV all in one product. I also love how you can maximise the user interface to fill the entire screen, you would be surprised what a rare feature that is in a security product, so, very little scrolling. AND it remembers the last size and position I use! Perfect!

But internet is too slow. Download speed is fine, it's the delay to advance to clicked links or websites entered and I think it might drive me crazy.

So I found an article that says it is not recommended to disable the script as protection will be weakened.

What REALLY do I lose? Am I going to actually lose all web based protection? So if a malicious page runs something to try infect me, I'll have no detection from Kaspersky?

Or is it just the private browser, trackers, phishing database and ad blocking I lose? If that's the case, but I am still protected from malicious code, I don't mind turning it off, as I can re enable the extensions I disabled when I installed Kaspersky (Ghostery anti tracker and Ad Guard for ad blocking).

PS I use Edge. Latest Chromium version.

Thank you SO much in advance, I really hope this gets solved for me and I understand the script inject feature once and for all so I can also decide once and for all whether to keep the subscription!

Cheers!

Edited by Bav

@Bav Welcome.

12 hours ago, Bav said:

So I found an article that says it is not recommended to disable the script as protection will be weakened.

Please see → Security settings → Network settings → Traffic processing

kas_script.thumb.jpg.8762747a4a3fd7d7f1506d52706aca2a.jpg

"Script injection into web traffic is necessary to ensure proper functioning of the following components: Safe Money, Private Browsing, URL Advisor, and Anti-Banner"

That's it?

So just to be 100% clear, it will still protect me from infected pages trying to put malware on my system?

I actually saw that which was included in my original post. The entire point I am making is to confirm whether that's 100% accurate and only those processes are affected.

Edited by Bav

@Bav

Kaspersky has several protection layers such as Mail Anti-Virus , File Anti-Virus , Network Attack Blocker, AMSI Protection ... e.g. when you disable the Mail-Antivirus module the File Anti-Virus will block a malicious attachment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, harlan4096 said:

image.thumb.png.27a39eb11b65d1d92c87ba7195e345b5.png

well according to that 8 yo post, web antivirus needs the script to function, so I am out I think. A full day of browsing and I can not get used to this slowdown. My system was SO fast every time I clicked a link or pressed "enter" to go to a site, before Kaspersky install.

And the forums have quickly shown me what kind of "help" I will get. I laid it out in such a clear manner, and I get shown a post from 8 years ago which may not even be valid in 2023. I just wanted to know if I was still safe browsing without the script, but no one will directly answer the question.

I can't cope with these sort of cryptic games, same with the other topic re the terminator.

I think I'll get a refund and leave it at that.

Edited by Bav
spelling

• Solution

Hello @Bav
the reference to the old post has its justification.
At that time various browser manufacturers have increased their security measures. This prevented browser add-ons from communicating with other programs on the computer.
Kaspersky introduced script injection as a replacement, this allows addOn and AV to connect again.

You can disable the injection, but the data stream will still be scanned and malicious content will be blocked.
What is then no longer possible is, for example, the display of the icons of URL-Advisor, with blocked content the message is no longer displayed in the browser, Anti-Banner is no longer configurable with the AddOn. Then there can still be problems with the automatic switch to Safe Banking.

So all the protection functions remain, only the handling out of the brower becomes less user-friendly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

THANK YOU. Wow, that covers everything I needed to know.

The problem I am currently having is that I uninstalled Kaspersky and ran the system restore point I created before I installed it, and the laptop is so fast again now it's as if it's a completely different machine. 

Everything felt sluggish with Kaspersky, even when I disabled the script to try it out (although the browser behaviour at least was better).

I've actually applied for a refund already but I go back and forth in two minds, and there's no point reinstalling it now because it's not as if I can cancel a current support request. I could re install it and suddenly in 7 days my protection is gone and I am refunded. So I think I will leave it as it is and accept a refund and try find a solution that is as fast as the system currently is when using Defender.

Thanks again.