the file shredder runs extremely slow [cross post merged]

blackmonth

I tried to delete some files using the file shredder under the data protection tab. Everything worked as normal before, but this time it can’t seem to delete the folder and keeps saying “deleting files” and i cant get out of this process. I waited for 2 days and it still says “deleting files”. 

Can someone help me reset this file shredder options please?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @blackmonth

Welcome!

• Before logging a case, it’s important to confirm you’ve done the update of the KTS software exactly as per the documented procedures, including software compatibility check and a clean install; if the issue persists, raise a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, include a  GSI & Windows Logs, support may request Traces, they will guide you with the procedure to collect these, fill in the template as in our image; note: the more information you provide the Technical Team the more they will be able to help you

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will be in touch, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in their MyKaspersky account.

Kindly share the outcome with the Community when it’s available? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

stop giving your mind just test.

@blackmonth,

You’re welcome!

FYI: the Kaspersky Community do not “just test”, for one, there’s scant information in your post, testing is based on replicating, like for like, something you clearly do not understand, for two, the Community is made up of users of Kaspersky software (like you) , all give their time freely, to help other Community members (like you). There's a small team of Kaspersky employees - all of whom are clearly identifiable, bc, their profile shows "Kaspersky Lab Employee". For the most part, & from my observations, the willing helpers engage in providing technical analysis to address technical issues.

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳

• 2 months later...

Hello @taufik & @IB7

Welcome!

1. Check the permissions of the folder/files you’re trying to delete? 
  2. Check the folder/files are not locked by another process? 
  3. Open Kaspersky application, select Settings, Manage settings → select Export settings, save the config file, select Restore settings to restore KTS to default
  4. Shutdown computer using Shutdown, not Restart, power device on, login, recheck File Shredder - follow the documentation. 
  5. If the issue persists, log a case with Kaspersky Technical Support, follow the template as in our image, however, for version, select 21.1.15.500 as Kaspersky have not updated their templates; include a detailed history, of all steps taken, screenprints & or video if they help define the problem(s), the URL to this Community topic; support may request Traces & other data, they will guide you: 

• After submitting the case, you’ll receive an automated email with an INC+12digits reference number, then, normally, within 5 business days, a Kaspersky Technical Support human will communicate with you, also by email, you may continue to engage with the Kaspersky Technical Team via email or by updating the INC in your MyKaspersky account.

Please share the outcome, with the Community, when it’s available? 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳+🐋

• 4 months later...

I am also having this issue.  File size or permissions does not matter. (I’ve tried many different files). The program just hangs on “deleting file” but nothing happens no matter how long I wait. I’ve never been able to use the file shredder which is one of the reasons I purchased the product. 

• 4 months later...

Hello,

we have received two requests with same symptoms from our customers. The Bug 5002856: [SUPPORT] file shredder does not delete files

has been created. I also specified this forum topic in the bug. We are waiting for developers analysis of the problem.

I will keep you informed.

Thank you.

Hello,

Our developers suggest to use Quick delete method (recommended), for big video or other big data files, because it is optimal method in this case. It is the "lightest" method of all, which are using in this tool.

File shredder initially was developed for deleting of small size files(documents, photo). It deletes files by partition of file on many small files.

Small documents of photos are deleting very quickly using this method, but video-file deleting can take over one hour.

If HDD is fragmented or some application on PC(uTorrent, for ex.) is using active READ/WRITE processes, it can take much more of time.

If the customer selects other multi-circles algorithms, the time of operation can also grow significantly.

The developers have analyzed few cases with video-files deleting and will optimize the next version of tool in order to decrease the time of deleting of video and other files, which has huge size.

Unfortunately, we do not have any terms of the next version implementation for now.

Thank you.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, fborg said:

Same problem here. Don't work for a large file (>2GB). The feature keeps "Deleting" after 24 hours and restart Windows is the only way to stop this.

Hello @fborg,

Welcome!

1. Which Kaspersky version is installed -> on the Windows taskbar or hidden icons, rightclick the Kaspersky icon, select About

Please share the outcome with the Community, when it's available? 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife