Suspicious Email from kaspersky@dach.kaspersky-mail.de

Go to solution Solved by Igor Kurzin,

This email was sent following our internal error, and we would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused. This technical error has been examined by our team, and we can confirm that no user data has been affected. Please note that no action is required from your side.

• Like 4

On 8/8/2022 at 8:15 AM, Igor Kurzin said:

This email was sent following our internal error, and we would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused. This technical error has been examined by our team, and we can confirm that no user data has been affected. Please note that no action is required from your side.

I got 2 of these e-mails on 2 days a few days ago.  So are you saying that this was in fact an e-mail from Kaspersky? If this is correct, can you say why it began with the classic wording of a spammer such as Dear and Lovely? It sounded as if it was from someone I'd associate with similar e-mails asking me to accept and look after someone else's money in return for a fee 

I am unclear what kind of a technical error results in such a strange opening to an e-mail. Does this mean that in future that all genuine e-mails from Kaspersky will have this form of address? You can understand why such an opening to an e-mail from Kaspersky has caused concern

mikethebike .  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like a spoof.

Please note that not all recipients have been addressed by their first and last name, some recipients have been addressed without their name, but with only their email address. When email address is obtained, then user's name might be found via spider/trawler [on the internet].

A possibility is that someone has been able to obtain the email addresses from Kaspersky users, not necessarily from Kaspersky, maybe even by indirect means, and then compiled spoofs based on available information.

As the content of the email seems not very specific, this seems more like a brag/notification than like a genuine attempt to infiltrate recipients. If wanting to inflict real damage or infiltrate recipients, then other approach would have been used. The included image might be malicious, but sender would not have expected this to pass as a genuine Kaspersky email. Sender most likely is very certain of his/her own capabilities and possibly has the skill and/or access to do so again, and possibly more. Sender is letting us all know via this email that more might be coming.

I am curious now how the Kaspersky data leak checker works, specifically the database.

For Kaspersky a sign to up their game.

Edited by Apekool
edit