Since when are activation codes country specific?

InCole

Hey everyone!

So I've been using Kaspersky Internet Security now for the past 20+ years if not even longer. I have two PC's in UK I use it for and one PC in Belgium I use it for (I travel for work and spend time in both countries thus have a permanent home office setup in Belgium too)

I always just buy the 3 PC 1 or 2 year activation code for Kaspersky Internet Security and I've bought it sometimes in Belgium, sometimes in UK and activated all 3 PC's without issue for the past 20+ years

Well my licence expired, bought a new code from an official boxed key at a PC store here in UK for 3 PC's 2 years of KIS. Activated my two PC's in UK no issue now trying to activate my PC in Belgium and it is saying code invalid for region??? Since when are Belgium and UK not the same activation region and why does it say region (country), that's two different things. Is it region OR is it country? If it is country, since when are keys country bound that's ridiculous!!!

Hello @InCole

Welcome!

1. We've also been with Kaspersky for a very long time, although not 20years; the limitation has been in place for as long as we can recall; it's explained in: "Activation code is invalid for this region" error - on the support page, select Chat or Email, then fill in: Activation and license issues, Activation code is invalid for this region template. 
  2. Also, the Kaspersky support team may be able to answer the region & country questions. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

16 hours ago, Flood and Flood's wife said:

Hello @InCole

Welcome!

1. We've also been with Kaspersky for a very long time, although not 20years; the limitation has been in place for as long as we can recall; it's explained in: "Activation code is invalid for this region" error - on the support page, select Chat or Email, then fill in: Activation and license issues, Activation code is invalid for this region template. 
  2. Also, the Kaspersky support team may be able to answer the region & country questions. 

Thank you?
Flood?+?

That's impossible as just last year I bought a UK key and used it in UK and on my Belgium PC without any issue so it IS a new thing that a UK key cannot be used in Belgium and if that is the case then this will be the end of me being a Kaspersky customer as those are both in the same region and yet now suddenly you are saying I can't use a UK key on my Belgium PC which is a NEW restriction in 2022 as I activated a license in 2021 without any issue!!!

But if Kaspersky wants to start losing customers then this is a good way to begin doing so with ridiculous anti-consumer restrictions like this

Hi @InCole

Above comment from @Schulte is correct. Are you running an UK version ? My location is Belgium and I run the latest UK versions with a license purchased on the Kaspersky Netherlands online shop. Also licenses purchased on the global Kaspersky  store have no regional restrictions , Kaspersky Technical Support is your best option.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2022 at 6:02 PM, Schulte said:

Hello @InCole,

the limitation to one region at a time has been around for a long time, @Flood and Flood's wife is right about that.

What has changed since you last activated a license: GB is no longer a member of the EU. So different laws apply, which also requires a different software version.

GB leaving EU doesn't change the fact it is still part of the "European region" anyway I contacted support it seems to be a new restriction that instead of region restrictions they are starting to apply country restrictions, only exception is in EU where due to EU laws they cannot do that but starting in 2022 the restrictions are now by country and no longer by region which is why it says "region (country)" on the support page the (country) part is an edit to specify the new restrictions

Such a shame to do this they say it is to fight piracy but it seems to only be harming legitimate consumers, they will lift the restriction on my key specifically but that means every renewal I need to go through this process thanks to this new restriction

So yeah if they want to start being anti-consumer maybe time to start considering a new anti-virus software. Shame after 20 years of being a satisfied customer they have to start doing this