Passwords compromised

My Kaspersky password manager recently informed me the Kaspersky password manager password had been compromised, in addition several other recently used website sites such as my bank account. A full scan of my computer with Kaspersky did not detect anything but a scan with Malwarebytes detected Trojan.Dropper. With Kaspersky not detecting anything how do I find the keylogger that is stealing my passwords?

2 hours ago, daddownunder said:
  • My Kaspersky password manager recently informed me the Kaspersky password manager password had been compromised, in addition several other recently used website sites such as my bank account.
  • A full scan of my computer with Kaspersky did not detect anything but a scan with Malwarebytes detected Trojan.Dropper.
  • With Kaspersky not detecting anything how do I find the keylogger that is stealing my passwords?

Hello @daddownunder

Welcome!

1. The Kaspersky Password Manager for Microsoft Windows, Password check, Compromised & a Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) Full Scan are different things; read:  Scanning the computer - KIS scans - will not report compromised passwords
  2. Compromised passwords - the application uses Secure Hash Algorithm 256 (SHA-256) to check for compromised passwords. The application generates SHA-256 message digests from each password in your vault and compares them with SHA-256 messages from a database of compromised passwords. If the SHA-256 messages match, the application warns you that your password is compromised.
  3. Compromised passwords should be changed immediately. image.thumb.png.aac5c717374756bff9d3633089e85494.png
  4. Read: Kaspersky - How hackers can crack your password in an hour
  5. Also, Kaspersky Password Manager (KPM) for Microsoft Windows has Windows Hello, read: Unlock the vault with Windows Hello - note, if the computer is powered OFF, when power is restored the KPM Master password must be entered *once* before continuing to use Windows Hello. 
  6. Also, KIS is Kaspersky's *old* software, (you) may wish to upgrade to the version that matches (your) installed Kaspersky software.
  7. The upgrade is free & is *like-for-like*
  8. Read: Kaspersky: Basic, Standard, Plus, Premium - info & FAQ by Danila T.
  9. The new software can be downloaded here: https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads#update-product
  10. For the Malwarebytes reported Trojan.Dropper - please post the scan report? 

Thank you🙏
Flood🐳+🐋

Edited by Flood and Flood's wife
Compromised passwords - there are some other users around the world who use the same password and their accounts protected by this password have been hacked.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I understand the difference between a scan and a password manager. The Kaspersky password manager reported an increasing number of password compromises including Kaspersky Password manager. So I initiated a full scan with kaspersky looking for a key logger that was possibly on my computer. The scan revealed nothing!!! I installed a copy of Malwarebytes and it found Trojan.Dropper in several places. Since I had no help from Kaspersky (including this forum) to remedy the situation I purchased another antivirus  and removed Kaspersky. So I ask you why would I trust Kaspersky to protect my computer when two other virus programs find the malware and Kaspersky does not.

Thanks for the post

Edited by Berny
  • Thanks 1