New KART for Business 6.4.0.378 blocks incoming/outgoing mail by not allowing third-party antivirus scanning

Go to solution Solved by Emil_Ish,

I have been using Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool for Business for a long time on two computers, where I have respectively installed Avast Free Antivirus (version 23.9.6082 - build 23.9.8494.796) and AVG Free Antivirus (23.9.3302 - build 23.9.8494.796), in my updated Windows 10 PRO operating system.
Everything went well until KART for Business version 6.3.0.222. Unfortunately, however, the recent update to version 6.4.0.378 created major problems for me with the aforementioned two antiviruses, in particular with regards to checking email.
I would like to point out that both Avast and AVG have an "Email Shield" module (also called "Mail Shield") which provides "Scan inbound emails (POP3, IMAP4)" and "Scan outbound emails (SMTP)".
After updating KART to version 6.4.0.378 I can no longer use the incoming mail scanning functions ("Scan inbound emails (POP3, IMAP4)") and outgoing ("Scan outbound emails (SMTP)") functions of the antivirus, otherwise the mail is completely blocked. The only solution is to disable the incoming and outgoing mail scanning capabilities of my antivirus in order to manage my email, with whatever email program you use.
I had confirmation of this fact because by "turning off" KART 6.4.0.378 (and also waiting for its service to stop) I can reactivate the incoming and outgoing mail scanning functions of the two aforementioned antiviruses and everything works normally.

I further checked the functions of KART and, among those of the anti-malware control, there is a "Mail Threat Protection" function which, evidently, conflicts with that of the antivirus, ultimately preventing the use of mail when both active.

Will I be forced to uninstall KART or is it conceivable that this problem with third-party antiviruses will be taken care of by Kaspersky?

Thanks for the attention!

Fast update ...

In one of the two computers, the one with Avast, I removed KART using the Kaspersky remover tool.
After restarting the computer, without KART in the latest self-updated version 6.4.0.378, I reactivated the "Scan inbound emails (POP3, IMAP4)" and "Scan outbound emails (SMTP)" options of Avast and the mail is fine downloaded and shipped.

So I reinstalled KART 6.3.0.222, keeping the Avast mail scan settings active, and everything works fine.

Therefore I must confirm that the incompatibility problem only occurs with the latest (self-updated) version of KART 6.4.0.378.

Thank you so much for your response and interest!

If I can help in any way, I'm here at your complete disposal.

Now, at least on one computer, I'm using version 6.3.0.222 and I hope it doesn't auto-update to release 6.4.0.378 soon; otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to change the antivirus settings again, waiting for some solution.

Thanks again for your time! 😉

Hi, @markinson!

We have reproduced this issue in our lab and will try to find out the root cause. 

As for workaround you may try the following steps: when computer has been restarted and email is not worked, you need to reload the KART (select "Exit" from the tray icon context menu and then double-click the desktop shortcut). Write here, please, whether these actions helped you or not.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, @Vasily Burov!

Thank you very much for your time and for the reserved consideration!

I did several tests that I will try to explain in my terrible English.

Starting conditions:

• Avast antivirus with mail scanning functions in the entrance/output deactivated;
  • KART updated to version 6.4.0.378;
  • the mail is correctly functional.

I closed KART with "Exit" and the process (better: the processes) "kl_gui.exe (32 bit)" was finished (I checked everything from the Windows Task Manager), but the process/service "kl_service.exe (32 bit)" remained active however.

So I rehabilitated the scanning mail functions of the antivirus, but the mail is neither received nor sent.

I therefore tried to forcefully close the process/service "kl_service.exe (32 bit)" from the task manager and subsequently also with COMODO KillSwitch, but it was not possible to end it (access denied).

Previously, however, it has happened that the simple closure with "Exit" of KART, in addition to the closure of "kl_gui.exe (32 bit)" process, also the process/service "kl_service.exe (32 bit)" was closed and, at this point, reactivate the scanning mail functions of the antivirus, the mail was also received and sent.

I resume and go ahead: after going out with "Exit" and not being able to kill the process/service "kl_service.exe (32 bit)", I clicked on the KART icon, but KART is not loaded.

Otherwise, when the process/service is also closed and then click on the KART icon, the program is reloaded correctly, both the process/service and the GUI (and its process) and the icon in the tray bar.

I add that in a further machine, the third, I installed the latest current version of Avast and then KART, starting in this case from version 6.3.0.222.

I therefore waited for KART to self-update to version 6.4.0.378. This happened and immediately after the mail could no longer be received or sent, with the mail scan options of the Antivirus active.

I closed KART with "Exit" also in this machine and the process "kl_gui.exe (32 bit)" has closed, but the process/service "kl_service.exe (32 bit)" remains active and impossible to killers.

Finally, in these conditions, if I click twice on the KART icon, the GUI and the icon in the tray bar are not loaded and the "kl_gui.exe (32 bit)" process, which had opened up, after that just automatically finishes suddenly.

More: once KART was updated to version 6.4, in this third machine I can't anymore receive or sent mails, so I had to uninstall KART 6.4, to roll back to KART 6.3!

This is my experience for now ...

I hope I was able to explain ...

Thanks again for your help.

I remain available for any further tests.

Cheers!

Hi, @markinson!

Sorry for the delay with answer. Sometimes the kl_service.exe needs some more time for correct exit. 

We resolved this compatibility issue and it will be fixed in upcoming release. Also I think that suggested workaround should help.

There is no way to block product automatic updates because they are very important for correct work of protection mechanisms.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again @Vasily Burov for your time, your work and your patience!

As for the "kl_service.exe (32 bit)" process, after exiting with "Exit", I waited a long time (up to an hour), but it did not close. At least for the tests I did with my old computers! 😄

For the update, I absolutely understand Kaspersky's policy.

I will therefore wait for the release of the new version, trusting that the executables will be as soon as possible uploaded to the official KART download page (where version 6.3 is currently available).

Thanks again for everything, if anything I will return to this space to ask for further help.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Hi, @markinson

We have published new version of KART with fix of described issue on our website: https://www.kaspersky.com/anti-ransomware (or https://kas.pr/kart-business)

Please try to install it and check if it helps to fix Avast compatibility.

You may install new version over the old one (without uninstalling it first).

Edited by Emil_Ish
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Emil_Ish,

Hi @Vasily Burov,

The issue was fixed!
I installed the new version of KART on two different computers, one with Avast and the other with AVG (both free), and the mail is downloaded, sent and synchronized without any problem!
Thank you very very much! 😉

I only specify the following.
Version 6.4.0.378.0.15816161.0 is downloaded from the official link which, during installation, is immediately updated with a patch to the 6.4.0.469(a) edition, after a restart of the PC.

While in one computer I installed the new version over the older, in the other I instead had to remove the previous installation of KART, and then install everything from scratch.

Cheers!