My First Time Using A Password Manager

Go to solution Solved by Flood and Flood's wife,

Just a very general question if you use the Password Manager with a Desktop Computer.

When you got to a point where all of your passwords were secure and correct, did you then remove all of your saved passwords and information in your browser of choice ?

I’ve got about 500 passwords to get through :)

But, at least to me at the moment, it seems to make sense to remove all of the browser-stored information once everything is securely in the vault but I’d be interested to hear people’s thoughts.

Hello @ClemFandango

Welcome!

(Personally) remove all browser passwords after setting up KPM vault, otherwise, you will be maintaining KPM vault and any other password storages. 

1. Are you using KPM Import password(s) feature→ image 1. 2. to transfer data from browser to KPM vault? 

Some tips:

• The KPM Master (Main) password is not known to, or stored by Kaspersky, ever, if it’s lost: Kaspersky Technical Support, experts will not be able to help you recover it → do not loose or forget the KPM Master (Main) password. 
  • Make KPM backups → image 1. 3. on a regular basis & always before major system updates or significant system changes. 
  • The Export to text file feature → image 1. 4. exports passwords to an unprotected text file.
  • IF using passwords stored in a text file, keep the text file safe & secure. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Hello there @ClemFandango

You’re most welcome☺ !

Whoops indeed😅 !

Good thing you’ve invested in KPM, your online life will be a whole lot safer (& infinitely easier), once you’ve done the cleanup work! 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

If I could ask one more question, is there way to essentially “trust” my desktop PC so that I don’t have to sign in to the vault every time I turn the PC on ?

I live on my own as well so there’s no possibility of anyone else gaining access to my passwords.

Is there way to essentially “trust” my desktop PC so that I don’t have to sign in to the vault every time I turn the PC on ? I live on my own as well so there’s no possibility of anyone else gaining access to my passwords.

Hello @ClemFandango

Welcome back! 

Sadly no. 

The issue has been raised previously, with Kaspersky HQ experts, the Master password is required when the PC is turned on & or when KPM has automatically blocked access to the vault after a specified period of inactivity or when the screen saver turns on. By default, the vault is locked automatically after your computer has been idle for 24 hours. 

This is as per design, Kaspersky’s goal is to make the software as secure as possible & at the same time make it user friendly. 

If something extreme were to happen, where someone other than you had unauthorised access to your desktop PC, potentially, the worst outcome would be that they were able to access your passwords. 

Thank you🙏

Flood🐳 +🐋

Resource:

Unlock the vault