KAV Free 19.0.0.1088 - ".removeOnNextReboot" files in ProgramData folder [Solved][Closed]

dIMIS85
Go to solution Solved by dIMIS85,

Hello! I would like your help for an issue I encounter: Each time I was switching on my laptop, I've constantly hit the "Run database update", ending up to a cumulative bunch of files (approx. ~2Gb) on "C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP19.0.0\Temp\temporaryFolder\updates\bin\kav19\19.0.0.1088_kis_e\[am_core.dll.132_...............removeOnNextReboot etc.]"! These files, where never removed (despite their ...extension) for years now, taking up valuable space on my HDD. So, I would like to ask if I can safely remove these files... I really, do not know if this is a bug... I am at your disposal if you need some further info. Thank you very much & keep up the good work :wink: With kind regards,

Hello dIMIS85, With Kav 19.0.0.1088(e) on a Win7 device, I've tested & replicated the accumulation ".removeOnNextReboot" files issue. Multiple reboots & db updates, files are not deleted, accumulate & remain.... I've deleted the files & run the system for 19 hours with no impacts.. Maybe Kaspersky experts will post back their advice re deleting the files on your system so you can have the valuable space back. Thanks!

Hello all! Thank you a lot for your extremely quick responses! About the info you have requested:
  1. My anti-virus version is "Kaspersky Free 19.0.0.1088(d)"
  2. My OS is Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1.7601 - Build 7601 with Service Pack 1
  3. I always shutdown my laptop via normal Start menu -> Shutdown option
Indeed, I think that these files are useless leftovers from KAV Free definition/program updates and there should be no harm if I remove them, but I am looking forward at your replies... Thank you very much, in advance :thumbsup:

Hi dIMIS85, please shut down the computer again. Do it as usual, but hold down the Shift key when clicking on 'Shutdown'. Perform a database update after restarting the computer - usually the files will disappear shortly after that. Then check if patch 'E' is installed.

Me Berny, no... I did not try: Safe Mode > CMD > DOS command "del" (file) or "rmdir /s" (directory) The files can be removed/deleted, via Windows, File Explorer... (I've done this, with no ill effect/s, followed up with another KAV install to replicate the issue again), however, I think dIMIS85 is hoping for confirmation that's it's ok to delete these files & reclaim the space Kaspersky sofware is using... The advice to upgrade to patch(e) is sound, but even with patch(e) the "*removeOnNextReboot" files accumulate & remain... :thinking:

Hello All, Tested the "Shutdown/ShiftKey" solution, sadly the "*removeOnNextReboot" files remain:thinking:
Hello FLOOD, my suggestion was mainly for @dIMIS85. He doesn't seem to have patch 'e' installed yet. A complete shutdown of Windows can be helpful in his case.

Hello again! Thank you very much all for your proposals, but unfortunately things got ...a bit worse since last time. After a bunch of shutdowns (with or w/o Shift key) and restarts, now the main program rendered useless to update and displays constantly "Last update: Failed", even after I click "Run update" and fetch the list of files to download from server-side :dizzy_face: But, on the other side, there are 2 puzzling issues:
  1. On my ProgramData folder, I have at AVP19.0.0/.../19.0.0.1088_kis_e --> that indicates patch(e) currently installed - despite indicating patch(d) on balloon!
  2. When I hover the mouse pointer over the Kaspersky product icon in system tray the balloon notification displays "Databases release date: 9/5/2019 - 18:49"!
Moments ago, to my ...surprise, KAV displayed "Databases are corrupted" and "Not all components were updated" errors :sneezing_face: Really, I still do not know how I managed to wreck havoc one of the best (or THE BEST) anti-virus I've ever had!! :clown: So, I would like to ask you, is there any way to push / force a manual update for databases and application modules and of course flushing / removing of *.removeOnNextReboot" redundant files? I hope there is such kind of solution, because exporting settings & then uninstalling / reinstalling the AV, would be really a pain! :thermometer_face: Thank you, very much

Hello all, Please forgive me for my late reply, because I had real trouble passing the log-on screen on Win7 (since KAV started to show "Failed" on updates and caused the whole mess of freezing Windows during log-on process). I had to enter safe mode, deactivate the antivirus (plus, exporting my settings) and then enter normally on Windows (luckily!) and uninstall KAV. Then, I went to install it again from scratch but received the error message “Application was not installed”. I supposed that the default uninstaller would have left some remaining drivers or OS hooks... I decided to follow the exact instructions here (especially Step 3. - kavremover tool multiple times for ALL products!) to no avail!! :sob: I wish I could find any log (of KAV installer) so that I could check what the error is, but I couldn't find anything at the files created by the installer... Now, unfortunately, I'm left without my favorite antivirus, since the installer keeps aborting. :cry: Any further help or fix would be GRATEFULLY appreciated!! Thank you, a lot

Hello honorable, Thank you VERY much for possible solution! I just have executed GSI.exe, but I think it did not start well :thinking: At first, it displayed en error message about an exception for Microsoft .NET Framework, then it displayed the EULA (blank, though) and I clicked Accept. After that, I pressed Start and now it is stuck on "Executing AVZ..." for hours without doing absolutely nothing (or I think so). I had no other choice than to kill the process, unfortunately. Could you please inform me how much time does it take to create the zip file or if I should I run it "As administrator" privileges or as [SYSTEM]? Thank you very much, in advance!

• Solution
Hello honorables, Finally, I managed to re-install it!! WOW, what an adventure!!! :rofl: Before to proceed with GSI (no need anymore), I ran a manual scan everywhere on registry & disk for remnants, and indeed, as we suspected there were some major leftovers registered as [SYSTEM] on registry, on drivers, on services etc. that they couldn't be removed with the default uninstaller or kavremvr tool - really dunno why. So, I elevated permissions with PsExec & kavremvr/regedit and ...voila! Everything cleared, safe and sound! I only wish that in the future KAV/KIS releases will be a fix for these kind of issues, in order to avoid such circumstances (plus for the ".removeOnNextReboot" files issue)... I want to thank you very much all, because without your VALUABLE help & guidance I would not have succeeded that way! Keep up the good work & see ya around :grin: Best regards,